PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Options

Jerry Bittner
12-04-2005, 5:00 PM
I need some suggestions on a finish. I’m now staining three of six miniature (13”x13”x9”) apothecary cabinets. They are going to be a little expensive to ship—about 30 pounds each—but I am meeting my three kids in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:City></st1:place> this weekend to see a Steeler game So I have the opportunity to deliver them but I’ve got about three days to get the finish on. Normally I do polyurethane but knowing that I will encounter a few runs and extra time and work, I’m looking for a finish that will be relatively easy to apply and dry in sufficient time.

Bob Noles
12-04-2005, 5:06 PM
Shellac may be a good option.

Richard Wolf
12-04-2005, 5:10 PM
Get some spray cans of Deft. Nice finish, dries fast, and you can recoat quickly.

Richard

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 5:29 PM
One of the spray lacquers would be the hot tip.:) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 5:34 PM
Given the time frames, the previous suggestions of shellac or "lacquer in a spray can" are good ones, although I'd choose shellac myself of the two since I will not use lacquer in-doors. It's also more economical for something that is not a small object...the spray cans are not inexpensive.