PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs Shop Fox

Bill Splaine
01-26-2019, 9:46 AM
My understanding, right or wrong (?) is that Shop Fox is made by Grizzly. If that is true, what are the differences between the products..? Is one the cadillac and the other a chevy?

Thanks, Bill

Jim Becker
01-26-2019, 11:52 AM
The primary difference is that ShopFox is offered in independent retailers via Woodstock International (also a Grizzly company) in addition to through Grizzly, whereas "Grizzly-green" is only available direct from Grizzly. Many of the tools are very similar; there may be some differences other than the color and badging, but the features are clearly spelled out usually and you should choose which one will best meet your needs. I personally, if I were buying, would prefer the color of the Shop Fox, but that's really not a practical thing when you break things down. :)

Cary Falk
01-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Shop Fox usually has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year with Grizzly. Sometimes there are minor features that are slightly different.

Richard Coers
01-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Technically, neither is MADE by Grizzly. They are both imported by Grizzly.

Dave Cav
01-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Grizzly and Shop Fox both advertise in Woodshop News (a monthly trade magazine). The Grizzly ads generally list the price. Shop Fox ads never do. I think mostly you're paying for the white paint job.

Jim Becker
01-26-2019, 1:00 PM

That's kind of a dance, honestly, because almost everyone does contract manufacture these days, at least in the mass market, but they do pick their factories and have their own folks involved on-site with QC and other important functions.

Cary, good point about the warranty provisions.

Ben Rivel
01-26-2019, 1:42 PM
I agree with Jim on the point of I generally prefer to choose Shop Fox due liking the color A LOT more, but I would also add IMO and from the tools I have compared Shop Fox tools seem to have a slightly better fit and finish. Cast iron tables seems to be finished better, paint seems to be better, stuff like that.

glenn bradley
01-26-2019, 2:09 PM

And a Ford F-150 is an American truck :D. Not many manufacturers are sole source providers anymore. I'm sure there are folks on here making parts for someone else's products.