PDA

View Full Version : School Essentials? Sad and funny.

Stan Calow
01-26-2019, 8:49 AM
Saw this at my local Lowes. Not sure what to think.

Lee Schierer
01-26-2019, 8:54 AM
Nothing funny about it, as it is a far too common occurrence on too many campuses.

Stan Calow
01-26-2019, 9:54 AM
Lee, I suppose ironic would have been a better word than funny. The problem is not funny; the marketing of pepper spray as "school supplies" struck me as unusual.

Flamone LaChaud
01-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Same philosophy of there being a hue and cry back in the former times when teachers would lock the door to keep kids from sneaking out. Now they're considering putting additional security measures on the doors to keep disgruntled students (past and present) out.
I have far more commentary, but will refrain at this point.

Mike Henderson
01-26-2019, 11:02 AM
I think many schools ban pepper spray, along with knives, guns, and a few other things, because kids tend to use the pepper spray as a joke on other kids and not for protection in an emergency (example, an assault).

Mike

Ron Citerone
01-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Probably a mistake for High Schools........................Might be a good idea for College Girls IMHO.

For those sending girls away to College, a talk about leaving parties alone and not putting your drink down where somebody could put something in it and not taking a beer that someone hands you unless you saw it opened is in order. I sent 3 daughters to college and sadly there are creepers out there.

Bill Dufour
01-26-2019, 6:00 PM
Public school kid will face expulsion for a dangerous weapon. Did I mention I was in the jury pool for a 25 year old with a concealed meat cleaver. He was claiming it did not met the legal definition of a concealed weapon. I have no idea where he had it concealed.
bill D.

Art Mann
01-26-2019, 6:49 PM
If I thought that kind of protection might be needed, I would not allow my child to go to such a school.

Aaron Rosenthal
01-26-2019, 11:22 PM
If I thought that kind of protection might be needed, I would not allow my child to go to such a school.
Art, with respect, almost any school can be like that today.
Would you have the same reaction if your daughter had condors in hegr purse when going out on a date?

Flamone LaChaud
01-27-2019, 7:10 AM
Would you have the same reaction if your daughter had condors in hegr purse when going out on a date?

I dunno, I don't think anyone would mess with a woman that kept condors in her purse . . .

Ron Citerone
01-27-2019, 9:21 AM
I dunno, I don't think anyone would mess with a woman that kept condors in her purse . . .

LOL, that made this morning way better!

Art Mann
01-27-2019, 9:56 AM
I am blessed to live in an area of the USA that I is still civilized. If I lived in a more metropolitan area, I would be more concerned, not just with personal safety but also with what they are being taught in schools (if anything). While my children were still minors, they were required to adhere to a rather strict and old fashioned moral code. This kept them safe in most circumstances. They are both in their thirties now and have thanked me many time for preventing them from making life changing mistakes that they were to young to understand.

Aaron Rosenthal
01-27-2019, 11:11 PM
"Blessed" %#'mn?@! automatic spell check replacement programs!
Missed THAT one!

Joyce Knights
01-28-2019, 12:17 AM
I can't believe that pepper spray still exist, lol!

Frederick Skelly
01-28-2019, 6:51 AM
I think many schools ban pepper spray, along with knives, guns, and a few other things, because kids tend to use the pepper spray as a joke on other kids and not for protection in an emergency (example, an assault).

Mike

Funny you mention that. I had 2 buddies in high school pull a stupid one like that. One guy was a big strong, heavy fella. The other guy was "1 quart short of a full oil change" - but he had some tear gas. One Saturday night after a party, the big guy kept badgering the guy with the tear gas to "shoot me".
Well, he finally did.

I stopped running with those guys after that. Sure hope niether of them ever had children. :)

Art Mann
02-04-2019, 8:05 PM
When I was growing up, a lot of the older boys, myself included, drove old pickup trucks with hunting weapons in racks and ammunition on board and we parked on school grounds. We never hid the fact and nobody thought a thing about. Even so, schools were a lot safer then than they are today.

Roger Feeley
02-05-2019, 5:04 PM
When I was growing up, a lot of the older boys, myself included, drove old pickup trucks with hunting weapons in racks and ammunition on board and we parked on school grounds. We never hid the fact and nobody thought a thing about. Even so, schools were a lot safer then than they are today.

Part, you just hit on a pet peeve of mine. Kids today don’t know how to manage risk. We cocoon them from every possible risk. Then, when they hit 16, we hand them the keys to a 3,000 lb high speed gathering ram and tell them to have a nice life.

you growing up with the guns in the truck tells me that you handled risk at an early age and grew up with it. I suspect your early experience has served you well.

we educated our daughter by teaching her SCUBA. Very manageable risk but potentially deadly if you make the right combination of stupid decisions.

end of rant.

Marc Jeske
02-27-2019, 7:16 PM
Yup.. and most younger kids had a pocket knife.

The good old days.

I never recall any trouble back then... maybe some occasional "Hoodlum", but not at Schools.

Marc