PDA

View Full Version : How can I reduce the resolution of a pic?

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2019, 7:58 AM
Good morning folks. I have several digital photos that are each very large (file size). I need to reduce their file size (resolution?), put them in a document and email them. Can anyone recommend a safe website, method or tool that will let me do that? (It's too late too re-take the photos with different camera settings.) It will really help me out.

Thanks very much!
Fred

Tom M King
01-26-2019, 8:15 AM
Using Windows 10? If so, it's built in, and just a few step process.

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2019, 9:12 AM
Thanks Tom. I see that now.

Is there a way to compress the picture before it is inserted in a doc? Turns out I've got to do it the hard way - she wants me to email the pics separately. (Sigh)

Flamone LaChaud
01-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Depends on a couple of parameters. So forgive me if I ask a couple of questions before answering.
1. "Compress the picture before it is inserted into a doc". Are you just needing to reduce the printed size (11x17 down to 3x5 for example) or the final filesize (10mb down to 300k for example)?
2. "before it is inserted into a doc": are these pictures going into a Word Doc, or an Adobe pdf, or just need to be transferred from one person to another so that the "she" you're referring to can put them into whatever publishing software (say for a newsletter/magazine/website/etc)? Would using a .zip file with compression be a happy compromise?
3. Does the email attachment have a size limitation on either end of the transaction? At work we're limited to a 10mb attachment/set of attachments per email, but my personal acct has a 20mb limit.

Tom M King
01-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Save the smaller version, after downsizing in edit, then insert the downsized one. right click, Open With, Photo Gallery, edit, resize, save is automatic.
If you don't name the smaller picture, it will just have the same camera number with the size in parenthesis beside the name. The original will remain in the folder, right beside it.

Scott Donley
01-26-2019, 11:49 AM
I have been using Pixresizer for years, very easy to use.
https://bluefive.pairsite.com/pixresizer.htm

Kev Williams
01-26-2019, 12:29 PM
I just downloaded Pixresizer, looks interesting.-- it looks but a bit detailed, but I'll have to try it :)

I've been using 'image resizer for windows' since it came out (link below), it's extremely easy to use, as it's a simple right-click option when any photo or group of photos is selected-
note here I have the top 3 pics selected, I right click on the pics and the menu with 'resize pictures' comes up-

Click it, and here's the menu, no frills, just choose a new pic size, or make your own--
the bottom options give you choices on upscaling or not, keeping originals or orientation. which I usually leave alone.
Here I've chosen the 854 x 480 size--

-just click resize, and the new resized pics show up, with an addition to the filename- note that if you choose 'resize the originals' it will delete the originals and just leave the resized pics with the filenames unchanged...

here's resized and the original-

I really like it simply because of how easy it is, and the pic quality remains very good...

Here's a link: https://download.cnet.com/Image-Resizer-for-Windows/3000-12511_4-75937402.html

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2019, 3:37 PM
Thanks guys! Yes, Im trying to reduce filesize from 10MB to 300Kb, for example.

I need to get back to the house and I'll play around with the tools and ideas you posted. Thank you all very much! I greatly appreciate the help.

Fred

Charlie Velasquez
01-26-2019, 6:00 PM
You could open a new folder, place a copy of the jpeg in it then press and hold ->sendto -> zip(compress) and see how much that compressed the file.