PDA

View Full Version : Turning attire

Bob Noles
12-04-2005, 4:58 PM
Now after watching Bill G's DVD and thinking about all these chips and shavings flying from the lathe, it set me to thinking and wondering what turners wear to keep that mess off of them? I know Bill G had a pretty cool looking smock or something over his shirt, but thought I would check and see what y'all might be wearing while turning?

Please don't tell me John wears a dress as I am still an infant turner and might believe you :D :D :p

Won't you be glad when I get this all figured out and go back upstairs? :eek: :D
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Cheers,
Bob
>< >
<!-- controls --><!-- / controls -->

<!-- / post 252432 popup menu -->

Loy Hawes
12-04-2005, 5:03 PM
The rumor around here is that after a little lacquer has been sprayed in his shop John don't wear much of anything. Except for maybe a sloppy smile.

:D :D :D

Chris Barton
12-04-2005, 5:14 PM
Hi Bob,

Several companies market "turning smocks" which kind of look like a Nehrue Jacket from the the 60's that works well at keeping chips out. They can be had in both long and half sleeves. I have one from LV and it's OK for what it is intended. Mine is long sleeved and adds a little warmth in the colder months.

Steve Knowlton
12-04-2005, 5:16 PM
My Wife Made Me A Apron That Works Well. Normally Idont Worry About Wearing It.

Michael Stafford
12-04-2005, 5:19 PM
Bob, after asking this bunch your last question I figured you would have learned not to ask any more. I also have a turning apron that closes tightly around the neck and is made of ballistic nylon so that chips don't stick. It has a thong fit at the bottom which gets a little uncomfortable after a few hours.....:p :D

John does not wear a dress. As Loy suggested he turns au naturel....I have pics but you really don't want to see them....:p

John Hart
12-04-2005, 5:51 PM
....John does not wear a dress. As Loy suggested he turns au naturel....I have pics but you really don't want to see them....:p

hey hey hey!!! I didn't sell those pictures to you just so you can tell everyone!! Do you like my bottom better than Jims? ;)

ahem...on a more serious note....I wear a sweatshirt becuase it has a tight collar and stuff falls off of it easier.

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 5:57 PM
I happen to prefer the smocks from Packard Woodworks. They have a long sleeve version for winter use and a nice sleeveless version that is perfect for summer. What I like about these is that they are plasticised (sp?) material that sheds material easily and have extremely comfortable knit collars that fit tight at the neckline. (I use them for routing, too, such as when I'm using the Leigh jig)

Bob Noles
12-04-2005, 6:16 PM
Thanks Jim.... That is the one I have been looking at on their web site. I just could not tell if it was sleeveless or not and that is what I want.

Looks like that may be just what the Dr. ordered even if I won't be as fashionable as John and the gang :D

Seriously.... Thanks so much to everyone for all the help you continue to offer. I know for a fact that there are others following this quest and are just a little shy about asking "dumb" questions like me :eek:

I happen to prefer the smocks from Packard Woodworks. They have a long sleeve version for winter use and a nice sleeveless version that is perfect for summer. What I like about these is that they are plasticised (sp?) material that sheds material easily and have extremely comfortable knit collars that fit tight at the neckline. (I use them for routing, too, such as when I'm using the Leigh jig)

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 6:59 PM
Bob - I've got one of those green ones from Craft Supplies. I rarely remember to put it on until I get a load of shavings down my collar.

What I like about it is that the pockets are in back which means they don't load up (too badly) with shavings; and if you keep stuff in them and end up leaning into the lathe for a certain cut, the thing in the pocket won't get it the way. Everything is closeable with velcro. Nice in the winter.

What I don't like about it is that it's not nice in the summer. And here's the biggie. It has mid-length sleeves. Which for me means that I find that quite frequently, as I'm making (for instance) a skimming planing cut in a spindle with a skew, I run the sleeve opening right onto the end of the toolrest which in turns results in an "event".

I keep meaning to cut the sleeves off. Just never remember to do so.

John Hart
12-04-2005, 7:06 PM
....as I'm making (for instance) a skimming planing cut in a spindle with a skew, I run the sleeve opening right onto the end of the toolrest which in turns results in an "event".....

You just scared me Andy. Geez...an "event"... with a machine more powerful than your bones can withstand? Wow

Bob Noles
12-04-2005, 7:32 PM
Andy....

Not sure what an "event" is, but from the sounds of it, those sleves would have been gone long ago :eek:

Thanks for the tip, but I think so far I am leaning toward the on Mr. Becker pointed out. Looks pretty good and the price is right also.

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 7:37 PM
Once the sleeve becomes thoroughly engaged on the toolrest, my arm is prevented from further travel in the intended direction of the cut. That causes my attention to shift away from the task at hand. That in turn causes the skew to dig into the piece big time. What happens next is called an "event".

Ernie Nyvall
12-04-2005, 7:37 PM

I've been wearing just an apron, but need to get one of these long sleeve things. I've never been allergic to much, but wood chips from green walnut just tears up my forearms and I just got two trees of the stuff.

Ernie

Kent Cori
12-04-2005, 10:13 PM
I also have a turning smock from Craft Supplies. Mine is the short sleeve, light weight version since most of the time I am trying to find a way to stay cool. For some reason, the AC in my gargage doesn't work very well. :eek: Warm is easy as I can always add a sweat shirt if needed.

It is one of thos things that I wished I had bought years ago. :o

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I picked up the sleeveless model from Packard on Jim B.'s recommendation. Hardly turn anything without that on! Very nice to not have to dig chips out from under my shirt or out of pockets!:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Bob,
I cool weather, I wear a gortex golf pullover (which I already had). Has a snug neck and cuffs and the pockets are side-slit so shavings dont get in. It also is water proof for those times that you are turning really green wood and it starts raining in your shop. In hot weather I just wear a T-shirt and shorts and don't worry about the shavings. John probably DOES turn naked in the summer, but one of these days the CA glue is going to get him!:eek::D

BTW...that leads to an unrelated tip...always keep CA dissolver (acetone) within reach of your lathe! DAMHIKT!:D

Rob Bourgeois
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
hey hey hey!!! I didn't sell those pictures to you just so you can tell everyone!! Do you like my bottom better than Jims? ;)

ahem...on a more serious note....I wear a sweatshirt becuase it has a tight collar and stuff falls off of it easier.

If you would have said anything I would have thought he was talking about "Spring" John.

T-shirt and shorts in the summer. T-shirt and jeans in the winter. Maybe Santa will bring me one of those fancy turners smock apron things..

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-04-2005, 10:49 PM
I go to good will and find a nice nylon jacket with knit cuffs and collar and pockets that stay closed. In the Texas summer I don't wear anything ------- er, I mean, uhh a T shirt and shorts.

Ernie Nyvall
12-04-2005, 11:02 PM
In the Texas summer I don't wear anything -------

Don... I really didn't need that picture in my head.:rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I went to a local Uniform Shop and ended up getting a "Clean Room Smock" that snaps up to the neck then velcros around the neck. That plus my Face Shield keeps the debri out of my clothes.

Bruce