PDA

View Full Version : computer wizards , snip tool question

Warren Lake
01-25-2019, 10:38 PM
is there an easy way to put snip tool into the right clic box? not sure of the proper name but what comes up when you right clic the mouse. Windows 7 box I have Snip Tool on the lower tool bar but in keeping with increased lazyness and older age be nice that it was in that box. I read a bit but the emphasis was not on an easy way.

thanks

Nathan Johnson
01-25-2019, 11:31 PM
Not sure on your question, but an alternative...

Download Greenshot. It's a more robust snipping tool that I feel is easier to use. And you launch the snip tool by just pressing the print screen button on the keyboard.

Warren Lake
01-26-2019, 12:57 AM
thanks

what im after is if you have a photo up and want to copy or save you can go to snip tool on the tool bar and clic it. if the photo is up and I right clic the mouse a box comes up wiith stuff in it, I want to put snip tool in that box if possible so I dont have to go to the tool bar. I think from what I read you can do that but didnt follow it plus the box might be different if its a photo in your computer or if you are on the net.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-26-2019, 7:32 AM
Try a little Utility called X-Mouse.
You can set it up so that if you press a certain key and right click, it'll open your Snipping tool. Say ALT + Right Click, or maybe S+Right Click?

Flamone LaChaud
01-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Easy, yes. Simple . . . depends on how good/confident you are with editing your registry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VNXc24IZz4

Just a warning, this is the equivalent of working on Win 7's brain . . . so no pressure.

Lee Schierer
01-26-2019, 6:12 PM
Firefox has a Screen Shot option that is available by right clicking. I just found it, haven't tried it. You can also add the windows snipping tool to your menu bar.

Myk Rian
01-26-2019, 6:37 PM
Right click on the picture, then copy image. Doesn't that come up?
After copy, you can paste it to a document or picture file.
I've never needed anything like a snip tool.

Warren Lake
01-27-2019, 12:12 PM
if I right clic on a saved photo nothing comes up and use snip tool which is fine. I just rather have it come up from right clic than off the tool bar

if im on a net photo and right clic bottom box is screen saver. it sends it downloads all the time and not where I direct it or I can direct it then next time it goes to downloads. Flamone thanks on that bit complicated for me but simple for a computer guy. Sometimes I venture in and its simple and easy sometimes i hesitate but might give it a shot. Looks like it does what I wanted and puts snip tool in the box. Ive added and changed things before on simpler stuff that worked fine.

Grant Wilkinson
01-27-2019, 4:01 PM
It's not difficult to do if you are confident enough to edit your registry. Search on " windows 7 adding to right click menu" and you will get several links to instructions on editing your registry to add anything you want to your right click menu. Be sure to back up your registry before you start. The whole process will only take a minutes.

Kev Williams
01-27-2019, 4:29 PM
what im after is if you have a photo up and want to copy or save you can go to snip tool on the tool bar and clic it. if the photo is up and I right clic the mouse a box comes up wiith stuff in it, I want to put snip tool in that box if possible so I dont have to go to the tool bar.

I've never even heard of a snip tool, and I work with photos all the time--?

Any photo saved on your computer should have a right click copy option, once copied you can paste it into any other folder or into any photo or graphics program...

I usually have a photo program running-
*most* photos on any webpage, when right clicked, include the menu option to 'copy image' or 'save image as'- if I copy, I just paste in my photo program. If I save as, I pick a folder and save it-
Thumbnails don't always include a copy or save option, but if it's what I want, I just hit the "Print Screen" button, then paste the screenshot into my photo program, then crop out what I don't want and save it-
-like I just did with this page ;)

Grant Wilkinson
01-28-2019, 8:21 AM
@Kev: Both windows 7 and windows 10 include a "snipping tool" as part of the basic OS. For Windows 10, there is a new tool called "snip and sketch" that adds to the features of the original snipping tool. I find both of these programs to be quick and easy ways to save, copy or print sections of what's on the screen. I have Photoshop and other applications to manipulate graphics, too, but for simple screen cap options, the snippers work well.

Kev Williams
01-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Just searched and found it-- My old 1990's MGI photosuite does that, 'screen capture' they call it...

Grant Wilkinson
01-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Yes, lots of programs will do it, but I understood the OP to be asking about adding the MS one to his right click menu. I understood that he was comfortable with the snipping tool; he just wanted any easy way to open it.

Warren Lake
01-28-2019, 1:04 PM
yeah snip works simple and easy for me to do posts here, i have a photo of a machine or an aspect of a machine its faster than photo shop as I dont have to resize and make it low resolution. The old XP box had a free version of PHoto shop from the past CS2 maybe and it did all I needed to resize contrast crop etc and it was fast but still more steps than I often need.

Ive saved how its shown to do it right. And will give it a shot just not at the moment. In too many directions. Love to find a competent guy close by that could tweak 20 things. Did find a guy in Toronto but his info is in the XP box that wont open. One more reason that I want to keep drives seperate and on the desk top then be able to just plug into another computer for instant access.

As Grant says lots of ways to do it, I was saving some stuff I kept going to the lower tool bar to open snip and thought if it can be in the mouse right clic as that what I go to next it would be easier. So you guys confirmed it can and showed me where to look to see how to do that so thanks on that.

Grant Wilkinson
01-28-2019, 2:52 PM
Warren: Where are you? I may be able to help you from here - Ottawa.

Send me a PM, if you want to tell me where you are but not broadcast it.

Warren Lake
01-28-2019, 4:13 PM
today im thinking im at the North Pole.

will send you a PM

thanks

w

Warren Lake
01-28-2019, 4:17 PM
I went into PM and see this but no PM? have seen this before but have issues with some things on this site, im logged on and cant even find my last post from a few minutes ago.

Irony I used snip tool :) :)

Grant Wilkinson
01-28-2019, 4:57 PM
Warren: Sorry about that. I forgot that, as of January of this year, only contributors can use the private message function.

glenn bradley
01-28-2019, 6:08 PM
is there an easy way to put snip tool into the right clic box? not sure of the proper name but what comes up when you right clic the mouse. Windows 7 box I have Snip Tool on the lower tool bar but in keeping with increased lazyness and older age be nice that it was in that box. I read a bit but the emphasis was not on an easy way.

thanks

I pin the Snip tool to my task bar at the bottom of the screen which is pretty close ;-)

Warren Lake
01-28-2019, 6:26 PM
Hi Glenn

thanks I did that instantly when one of the guys here told me that feature was in the computer, before that I was used to XP. I have this notion these boxes can do a few thousand things more than i know about.

John K Jordan
01-28-2019, 8:23 PM
A "snip" tool generally does multiple things: select area, crop and copy to the clipboard and/or save to a file, handy for those (unlike you and me) who don't keep Photoshop or the like up most of the time.

For those who don't know, in Windows Alt-PrtScr captures the active window, PrtScr by itself gets the entire screen. Alt-PrtScr is usually more useful unless you are writing documentation on software that uses multiple windows.

There are other Print Screen options, less used and often unknown. This might be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen

JKJ

I've never even heard of a snip tool, and I work with photos all the time--?

Warren Lake
01-28-2019, 9:25 PM
john used to use print screen thing to get stuff for email. I think the snip I like better as you crop same time. There were a few other photo shop things i used that I miss but fine as well for now. XP let me save photos that were inserted in emails, this 7 box wont. Sure there are other settings though to change things.

Kev Williams
01-28-2019, 10:02 PM
I figured out today soon after my last post why a snip tool doesn't work well for me, at least with photos:
Not much it can do with the 16 megapixel photos my customers send me!

An entire 1920 monitor can only show 13% of a 16mpx photo! ;)

Warren Lake
01-29-2019, 3:23 PM
I dont use snip tool for good stuff its for fast stuff and it makes low rez downsized photos ready to post fast and easy. I used photo shop for more important stuff and if I wanted better still sent stuff to a friend who adjusted for parrallax and made my own mickey mouse photos straight.

Grant I posted my email and hoped you would come back, site took it down before you did. Thanks for whatever you were going to suggest.

Warren Lake
01-30-2019, 6:13 PM
thanks you can take it down now before the police arrive :)

Warren Lake
02-03-2019, 12:48 AM
Glenn did you get my email?

Warren Lake
02-03-2019, 11:59 PM
Hi was in the city today so missed this and thanks yeah did try it two ways figuring out the small riddle. At times best on my machines :) thanks saved it again and will try again and thanks w