PDA

View Full Version : Delta 18" band saw worth what?

Don Jeansonne
01-25-2019, 4:10 PM
I found a Delta 18" band saw model 28-682 for $300. I seems in very good condition being setup for several years. Used very little. When I look for experiences on the internet it is mixed with most complaints about the blade guides.
Is this worth messing with since I have a good old Delta 14" band saw and I don't really need this one but wonder if the deal is just real good?

Don Jarvie
01-25-2019, 6:05 PM
I would run and not walk. Unless it’s a total piece of junk you can’t go wrong for 300. You can’t even get a 14 clone for that price.

John Lanciani
01-25-2019, 10:08 PM
That wasn’t a particularly popular saw, it’s of Asian origin and I don’t believe it has any cousins from other importers. Almost all of the parts are unobtainium at this point with the demise of Delta as we knew it. Keep that in mind when you look at it, make sure nothing important is broken, missing or worn out.

Dave Cav
01-26-2019, 1:13 PM
For $300, if it starts, runs and cuts wood, that sounds like a good deal. Try to take the table off, or at least get under it with a flashlight, and check the trunnions and all the mounting attachments to make sure nothing is cracked or broken; make sure the table tilts smoothly and locks up tight.

If you do get it, take the table off before you move it.

Don Jeansonne
01-27-2019, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. I do think it is a good deal. I know the guy and he barely used it and takes care of all his tools. The hesitation is because I have a fine 14 inch that does everything I have needed for the past 20 years. I don't need an 18 inch saw but it seems a good deal. I would need to get rid of my 14 inch if I get it and I don't want to regret that down the road.

Matt Day
01-27-2019, 9:45 PM
You can likely sell your 14 for $300, so you’d get a bigger saw that can do more for free. Don’t see why you wouldn’t do it. You know you want to.

Don Jeansonne
01-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know what was the main issue some people had with this saw related to the blade guides?