PDA

View Full Version : Kreg miter guage

Chris Johnson
12-04-2005, 3:41 PM
I have been reading a lot of reviews regarding the incra miters, and was wondering if anyone has any opinions about the Kreg Kms 7102. I like the look and have been happy with the other Kreg products I own.

Frank Pellow
12-04-2005, 4:06 PM
I have not acually used to cut wood it but I did see the Kreg mitre gauge side by side with an Osborne, a Jessum, and an Accu-Mitre on table at a nearby store (Markham Industrial) and the Kreg seemed a little flimsy to me. I moved all four of them back and forth and tried adjusting them all and, to me, the JessEm was by far the best. That's now on my wish list for next year.

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 5:41 PM
The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has an update from the fellow who previously did a review article on miter guages. Both the JessEm and Kreg are in the update. His comment was that of all the miter guages, he reached for the JessEm first.

troy havard
12-04-2005, 7:58 PM
i have the kreg bought it befor the jessem came out today i would buy the jessem. as for the remark that its flimsy it just isn't true its very sturdy and very accurate just doesn't have the features the jessem has if the kreg is at the limit of what u can spend get it you wont be sorry if u can afford the jessem don't even look at the kreg. the jessem just has to many extras.

Frank Pellow
12-05-2005, 7:27 AM
as for the remark that its flimsy it just isn't true its very sturdy

OK, I guess I should not have used the word "flimsy". But, the Kreg certainly does not feal as robust as the other miter gauges, particularly the JessEm.

Bartee Lamar
12-05-2005, 8:08 AM
I have the Kreg. When I first purchased I noticed that after attaching the cross bar and inserting the pin in the 90 degree hole I could move the bar at least a half a degree. To me the reason I purchased the Kreg was the alignment pin to insure a true 90 degree ( and other angles).

I had read that early on Kreg had a problem with the accuracy of their pins with the alignment holes. They changed their process to individually check each pin. This was the reason I contacted the factory.

The customer service rep shipped my a complete new mitre bar with pin. It was better, but I can still get some deflection when the miter is not tightened down. ( Very good service )

So I too wish I had purchased the JessEm. It is a little more, but I paid $159 US so for a little more I could have had the JessEm.

Once the miter is tight, I perform a test cut to make sure I have a true 90 degree. I should not have to do that in my opinion.

I have NOT performed this same test on a JessEm.

Hope this makes some sense.

Frank Pellow
12-05-2005, 8:28 AM
I have heard a rumour that JessEm manufactures the Kreg miter gauges. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Mike Sheppard
12-05-2005, 9:57 AM
I picked one up at the Wood Show in Michigan yesterday, saw all the demos and though the Kreg would work for me. The show price was $139 with a extra $39 flip stop,also got the 4 ft. fence at about $15 off total $205 with Mi tax. Have not used it yet but hope I don't regret the choice.
Mike

Bob Johnson2
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
I looked at the Kreg and the Jessem a couple months ago and bought the Jessem, to me it was a better unit all around. I looked around on the internet and got it on sale for something like $179, so it wasn't that big a price difference.