PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Delta X5 Bandsaw 28-475X

Ken Shoemaker
12-04-2005, 3:10 PM
I just finished assembeling my new X5 bandsaw (28-475X). This saw replaces the "chinese made" Delta (28-206). (I had posted a rant when the lesser saw broke for the second time.) Not probably not the guy you should take advise from on anything woodworking as I very little experience. Anyway, I'll simply give my impression of this new saw as compaired with the lesser saw.

COMPLETENESS: Good
Everything arrived as expected. Nothing missing, nothing broken, nothing scratched, nothing notable.

INSTRUCTIONS: Outstanding
I could have completely assembeled the saw using only the pictures in the manual. I carefully studied the pictures, then read the short written description to confirm my assestment. This is the way it should be done. Very easy assembely took about two hours.

FIT & FINISH: Satisfactory
Fit; Every hole is where it should be. I was impressed that each piece went together with no struggles. I did not have to adjust a thing. Everything was square to the blade, nd the pullys lined up right the first time.
Finish;I nothing to gauge this against. I have no experience with other saws. I do think the cast parts look like they are painted with a mop and pail of paint. The finish looks very thick in places and thin in others. I guess the word rough would do it. The stamped sheet metal is much better. I will probably never think about the paint again.

OPERATION: Very Good
This saw is infinetly smoother than the other saw. I first noticed the machined pully for the motor. (I must note here that I installed ceramic guide blocks during setup.) After installing a Timberwolf 1/2" blade I fired up the saw and was thrilled at how smoot it runs.

DUST COLLECTION: Very Good
I was very suprised how well it appears to work. It runs through a trough from the lower wheel housing to the rear of the lower stand. I have it connected to a 4" pipe to the 1 1/2hp DC and it works great so far.

POINT OF INTEREST:
The saw clearly was delivered with a 2HP motor. I was told the saw only has a 1 1/2HP motor. This is a good thing.

I put the saw on a mobil base. At 6'5" I can use all the height I can get. This is working well.

I hope it works well for a long time. I've paid my dues with that other junk I got the first time. I would offer this, DON"T try to save money if your going with Delta. I have a whole shop full of new tools and I can tell these are not near the quality of the equipment I knew as a kid 40 years ago. Too late for me, SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!!!

Bruce Page
12-04-2005, 3:47 PM
Ken, it sounds like you are happy with the better Delta model. It should last you for many years!

Frank Pellow
12-04-2005, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the review Ken. It appears that the saw is going to going to do a good job for you. I was surprised that it has good dust collection right out of the box. My ACM Star 400 does not have good dust collection and (somehow?) I am going to have to modify that aspect of my saw.

Ken your initial comment implies that your new bandsaw was not made in China. I purchased 3 Delta X5 machines (jointer, planer, drill press) earlier this year and they were all made in China. Where was your new bandsaw made?

Ken Shoemaker
12-04-2005, 4:08 PM
Frank,

They say it's a US made saw. I just reread the sticker to provide accurate information and almost soiled myself; "Made in the US of domestic and foreign parts". I can't win for nothing..... :mad: