PDA

View Full Version : Drawer side material

lowell holmes
01-24-2019, 5:53 PM
I need to replace a drawer in my computer desk. I made the desk and when I did I used drawer side wood which was available at the time.
Well, I'm told by several that it is not available anymore. I will have to use plywood or mill my own with my planer. I have a 12 1/2" planer.

I will use 1X12 fir or pine to make it, or If I can find some 3/8" plywood I might use it. I might be able to find some fir 1X4 material.

Oh well . . . ....

Dan Baginski
01-24-2019, 6:49 PM
Rockler sells 5/8 plywood for drawer sides. Has the dado for the bottom already routed into it. I priced out what some 3/4 stock would cost and the rocker plywood was actually cheaper and required less work on my part.

Jim Allen
01-24-2019, 7:40 PM
doit best sells 1/2" poplar, very reasonable, lots of different widths.

https://www.doitbest.com

Gary Ragatz
01-24-2019, 8:17 PM
Rockler sells 5/8 plywood for drawer sides. Has the dado for the bottom already routed into it. I priced out what some 3/4 stock would cost and the rocker plywood was actually cheaper and required less work on my part.

Dan,

Thanks for the lead - I hadn't run across that before.

Paul F Franklin
01-24-2019, 8:59 PM
And if you have a woodcraft nearby, they sell prefab and prefinished drawer side material as well.

Lee Schierer
01-24-2019, 9:25 PM
I prefer using yellow poplar over any other type of wood for drawer sides. Plywood would be my last choice.

mark mcfarlane
01-25-2019, 2:14 AM
In addition to Rockler and Woodcraft, my local hardwood vendor also sells preformed baltic birch plywood drawer sides, about $5 for a 4 foot length. With the rounded over top and some film finish applied, they look pretty nice to me. I make my own from BB sheets, but if you are doing one drawer it is much cheaper to buy a 4' blank.

Dan Baginski
01-25-2019, 9:36 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the lead - I hadn't run across that before.

I just built some drawers with it yesterday. It’s good stuff.

Dan Baginski
01-25-2019, 9:39 AM
I prefer using yellow poplar over any other type of wood for drawer sides. Plywood would be my last choice.

I wouldnt use it in a kitchen but for my application it was fine.

lowell holmes
01-25-2019, 9:52 AM
I have decided to plane some 1/2" material on my thickness planer and make my own.
I have enough clear 1X12 to make it.