PDA

View Full Version : Slow PC

Ole Anderson
01-24-2019, 8:56 AM
Typical of a PC, it keeps getting slower and slower after 5 years. Opened up Task Manager this morning and even after a reboot, I am running 114 "processes". Crazy. Remember early DOS when you could only run one thing at a time? All I have open is Outlook for email and Google Chrome. Only a few of the processes are even recognizable by name. Can't just start deleting them as I have no idea how they interact with needed processes. And even when I tried that, they just pop up again. Is there a trustworthy program that will sift out the chaff? And please excuse me if I have asked this in a previous life...

Lee Schierer
01-24-2019, 9:03 AM
I've noticed that the trend now is that I need to keep a small part of my program/app running so the user won't forget that I'm there, which clutters up memory and operating speed. I know that the paid version of Avast will help eliminate non-essential programs running in the background. A limited time trial version is available that showed me that Adobe PDF reader was always running just to make it faster for me to see a pdf document should I chose to open one. Phone apps are all trying to stay running to some degree in the background.

glenn bradley
01-24-2019, 9:12 AM
I will run Ccleaner now and again to clean up old registry files. I use Revo Uninstaller for installing and removing programs to get a more thorough removal. there are many 'habits' and tools we can use to keep a Windows, Mac or Linux machine running well. For Windows, when it reaches some subjective point, I just reinstall Windows, formatting the drive and push all my files and apps back on. We all make regular backups, right? It flies like the wind for quite awhile before the baggage that slows things down starts to collect again.

Mike Circo
01-24-2019, 11:34 AM
You are experiencing what is called "WinRot". A common affliction for Microsoft Windows owners where a trail of background processes, overstressed registry database and general mass of software competing for attention results in a slow system.

The laundry list of cleanup programs may help, but in the end, only a reinstall is the only absolute solution.

Barry McFadden
01-24-2019, 12:11 PM
You may want to try a SSD. When I was running Win XP on an older computer it was taking about 7 1/2 minutes to boot up. When I switched to a SSD the boot time went down to about 1 1/2 minutes.....and it was also much quicker at opening programs..

Alan Caro
01-24-2019, 1:26 PM
Ole Andersen,

There are three categories of factors that affect computer performance: Hardware, software, and configuration.

Dealing with software and configuration problems is the least expensive, can have remarkably good results, and also indicate as to whether any hardware changes are in order.

0. Before making actual changes, create a system restore point:

1. As others have mentioned, consider installing and, as glenn Bradley mentioned, running the free version the free version of CCleaner, which will clean obsolete and temporary files, unused programs, unused extensions, and broken registry entries. Watch that it doesn't delete any programs that are just not used often but that you want to keep.

2. Then, go to Windows Explorer, click on the C:\ OS partition and right click >Properties > This will show a graphic of the Didk use. Make a note of the amount of free space in that partition. At the bottom cliock on the Disk Cleanup, which will get rid of further temp files, empty the recycle bin and internet cache files- this can be a surprisingly large quantity.

3. Press the Window button on the LL keyboard > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. Run the Defragrmenter which will reassemble files that have been split apart over time and also consolidate- compact the files on the drive so the access time is shorter. This may take a long time and don't use the computer while it's running.

When the defrag is done, restart the computer and hopefully, the startup will be noticeably faster.

5. At this point create another system restore point in case something goes wrong. Do a search in YouTube for:

windows 7 create system restore point

4. This next step has to be done very carefully. This is to edit the programs that start when the system is booted. In general, this involves : Windows button and in the "Search programs and files" box at the bottom, type in "msconfig" click on msconfig at the top and there will be a dialog box with selective for Selective Startup. the on the Startup tab, you go through and select programs that will or won't be run at startup. The rule is not to stop any programs from Microsoft, but almost everything listed is worth considering- especially auto updating. I have a quite fast computer and run almost no startup items and zero scheduled items. I suggest not fussing with the "services list, this is dangerous. Before doing the startup editing, consider watching a couple of YouTube be entering the search:

windows 7 msconfig startup cleanup

5. Download and install the latest graphics card driver. There are billions of You Tube videos on this.

6. Run the defragmenter again and restart.

7. If the computer is still very slow, there's a possibility, if the system is 5 or more years old, that the hardware even in good form is not up to being as responsive as you like.

8. If the performance is not acceptable; download, install, and run the free trial of Passmark Performance Test 9. This will will display benchmarks for each major sub-system: Overall System Rating / CPU / 2D / 3D / Memory / Disk and weak spots can become apparent by an Advanced search by make and model of computer and comparing the top few overall system ratings for that system.

If you do this step, post the system specs- the processor, graphics card, amount of memory, drives etc. and test results here and we can talk about what makes sense and how much it might help. Very often a new graphics card and, as Barry McFadden mentioned, changing the OS drive to an SSD will see programs open much faster. If your Windows is 32-bit, that is slowing things down some as well.

Alan

HP z620_ Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8-core @ 4.3GHz) / 64GB DDR3-1866 ECC / Quadro P2000 + GTX 1070Ti / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB > Windows 7 Pro'l 64-bit.

Frank Pratt
01-24-2019, 1:45 PM
I used to be pretty fussy about what processes I let run & keeping the registry lean & clean, but I just don't bother anymore. Computers are so fast that it doesn't make any noticeable difference anymore. My current desktop has an M2 PCIe drive & it will go from the end of POST to the desktop in 5 - 6 seconds. Just a few years ago it was about a couple of minutes to do the same.

Mike Circo
01-24-2019, 2:20 PM
If your PC is Windows 10, a separate defragging is not necessary. By default, "Optimize Drives", previously called Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule at the time set in automatic maintenance. But you can also optimize drives on your PC manually if you are really concerned.

Furthermore, it is suggested to NOT defrag SSD drives. Not only is it unnecessary due to the direct access method they use, but causes excessive writes that could, technically, shorten the devices lifespan (this is under debate, but no reason to risk it )

Kev Williams
01-24-2019, 5:52 PM
re: Is there a trustworthy program that will sift out the chaff?

You betcha. I got 3 of em--

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
^^ this is a program called Autoruns, it will show you EVERYthing that's doing anything on your computer. Read the page, it explains better than me-- :) Neat thing about it is you can temp. disable things without shutting them down, helps with diagnosing--

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
(http://https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=process+explorer)^^ this is called 'process explorer', it's just like the process viewer in task manager, but on steroids ;) - Process explorer goes into great detail about running processes, and like with Autoruns, you can disable processes without terminating them...

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
^^ this is called 'Shellexview', it shows all the 'shell extensions' running, which control context menus (typically right-click items) -- it too allows you to disable items for diagnosing...

I use these all the time, however I haven't upgraded mine in years, but they all still work fine- and as far as I know, all free still :)

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-24-2019, 6:56 PM
We pay for a higher speed with Comcast and lately the internet has been getting crazy slow at odd times. Mrs. was taking a quiz for her on-line college course this afternoon and the darn internet froze for a good two minutes, driving her crazy during a ten minute times quiz. Unfortunately the local satellite net providers and phone have abysmal service that goes out during every weather hiccup.

Comcast has been caught playing games with net speeds over some lines, and was fined for it. The expressly restricted speeds for services of competing programs like Netflix to steer customers toward the comcast pay movie services.

Chuck Wintle
01-25-2019, 7:54 AM
You may want to try a SSD. When I was running Win XP on an older computer it was taking about 7 1/2 minutes to boot up. When I switched to a SSD the boot time went down to about 1 1/2 minutes.....and it was also much quicker at opening programs..
An SSD drive will speed your computer up a lot, as mentioned by Barry, and the prices have come down so they are not expensive. Adding some more RAM to your computer can help, but IMHO, i would avoid playing in the registry or using CCleaner as it can cause more problems than it solves. (based on my own experience :()

Ole Anderson
01-25-2019, 9:21 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop with an i3 chipset, 4 Gb ram. Win 7 pro, service pack 1. Not sure about adding an SSD to a laptop. Possible, easy? I added one to a brand new new Dell XPS at church for video streaming and it is wicked fast.

Alan Rutherford
01-25-2019, 10:02 AM
You have about a year before Windows 7 fades into history: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support and that laptop isn't getting any younger, either.

Unless you're running some special software that needs Windows (and I don't mean Outlook) I'd suggest you start looking for an alternative to Windows. That would be get a Mac or get Linux.

Linux comes in many many versions but all of the popular ones are free, more bulletproof than Windows and boot faster and run more happily on a range of computers. I've been using OpenSuse for 10-15 years and my wife switched from Windows a couple of years ago, relatively painlessly. No more pain than it will take to move up from 7 to current Windows.

Microsoft has, or had, some great products and I've made money using them but we've reached the point that an unsophisticated computer user is at serious risk from all the evil things out there that exist because of the vulnerabilities in Microsoft software. Few Linux users even bother to use anti-virus programs because they don't need to. I wouldn't be surprised if much of your problem is malware running on your computer.

Chuck Wintle
01-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop with an i3 chipset, 4 Gb ram. Win 7 pro, service pack 1. Not sure about adding an SSD to a laptop. Possible, easy? I added one to a brand new new Dell XPS at church for video streaming and it is wicked fast.
adding an SSD is not really that hard...there is software available to help migrate it from the HDD to the SSD. I was able to do it and it worked out great. :D

Chuck Wintle
01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
You have about a year before Windows 7 fades into history: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support and that laptop isn't getting any younger, either.

Unless you're running some special software that needs Windows (and I don't mean Outlook) I'd suggest you start looking for an alternative to Windows. That would be get a Mac or get Linux.

Linux comes in many many versions but all of the popular ones are free, more bulletproof than Windows and boot faster and run more happily on a range of computers. I've been using OpenSuse for 10-15 years and my wife switched from Windows a couple of years ago, relatively painlessly. No more pain than it will take to move up from 7 to current Windows.

Microsoft has, or had, some great products and I've made money using them but we've reached the point that an unsophisticated computer user is at serious risk from all the evil things out there that exist because of the vulnerabilities in Microsoft software. Few Linux users even bother to use anti-virus programs because they don't need to. I wouldn't be surprised if much of your problem is malware running on your computer.

My only beef to using Linux is the amount of programs that run in Windows and I have many of them. Otherwise Linux is a good OS with many different one available, some better than others.

Mike Henderson
01-25-2019, 12:00 PM
re: Is there a trustworthy program that will sift out the chaff?

You betcha. I got 3 of em--

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
^^ this is a program called Autoruns, it will show you EVERYthing that's doing anything on your computer. Read the page, it explains better than me-- :) Neat thing about it is you can temp. disable things without shutting them down, helps with diagnosing--

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
(http://https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=process+explorer)^^ this is called 'process explorer', it's just like the process viewer in task manager, but on steroids ;) - Process explorer goes into great detail about running processes, and like with Autoruns, you can disable processes without terminating them...

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
^^ this is called 'Shellexview', it shows all the 'shell extensions' running, which control context menus (typically right-click items) -- it too allows you to disable items for diagnosing...

I use these all the time, however I haven't upgraded mine in years, but they all still work fine- and as far as I know, all free still :)

Thanks for the pointers to these programs.

Mike

Alan Rutherford
01-25-2019, 12:01 PM
adding an SSD is not really that hard...there is software available to help migrate it from the HDD to the SSD. I was able to do it and it worked out great. :D I'm concerned when the circumstances sound like needing a bigger truck because you can't pull your trailer now that the tires are flat.

If Windows had stopped at XP I'd still be using it but they moved on and so should we, one way or another. Ever hear of Moore's Law? It says the number of transistors you can cram into a chip doubles every 18 months or so. Nobody cares about that but what it means is that the amount of computer you can buy for a given price doubles at the same rate. I.e. every year capability increases by about a third for the same price or prices go down about a third for the same capability, I think the OP should make sure he doesn't have a virus problem and then think farther ahead.

I have to agree with you about the Windows-only programs and that needs to be considered.

Kev Williams
01-25-2019, 1:40 PM
Yeah, this 'just drop windows' thing just doesn't work for some of us. I've been in the engraving business for nearly 50 years, and have been running computer controlled machines, 17 as of this moment, since 1982. And of all the machines and software I've acquired since '82 all but one machine is still in place and in service. And only 5 of those 17 have a USB port. Not one bit of software for any of these machines will work AND drive the machines with anything but a Windows OS, and even then only certain versions of Windows depending... 2 of my graphics programs won't run on anything newer than Win98 due to security locks, many of my machines have drivers that won't work with a 64bit machine, etc... My BIL runs our oldest machine, software is DOS based- XP will run it but not 7. While we can get it to limp along with an XP virtual machine, 'limp' is the operative word. I've tried DosBox, which runs the program great from any Windows, but it just won't connect to the machine. It's always something. But hook up my old 486 and it all runs like lightning. "Moving forward" isn't always what its cracked up to be.

Curt Harms
01-26-2019, 7:54 AM
I'm concerned when the circumstances sound like needing a bigger truck because you can't pull your trailer now that the tires are flat.

If Windows had stopped at XP I'd still be using it but they moved on and so should we, one way or another. Ever hear of Moore's Law? It says the number of transistors you can cram into a chip doubles every 18 months or so. Nobody cares about that but what it means is that the amount of computer you can buy for a given price doubles at the same rate. I.e. every year capability increases by about a third for the same price or prices go down about a third for the same capability, I think the OP should make sure he doesn't have a virus problem and then think farther ahead.

I have to agree with you about the Windows-only programs and that needs to be considered.

Probably too complex for average users but Windows virtual machine(s) running on a Linux host using something like VMware or Virtualbox (both free for noncommercial use) takes care of the Windows only software. Create a snapshot of a clean Windows install and when the Windows VM gets too slow, restore the clean snapshot and you're back in business. Much quicker than a re-install.

Al Launier
01-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Something I put together for future reference (my personal memory assistant) after some research, incorporating thoughts from various sources including SMC. I have Windows 8.1 and this has helped.

Oops! I had attached a PDF file that I created lists some alternative methods (although similar, yet still different) to offer a means of speeding up the computer. However, after posting this PDF & trying out attachment it pulls up my hard drive. I can't very well do that. So copy/paste.
Solution for Windows 8.1 Running Slow
December 30, 2018

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-81-64-bit-runs-very-slow-help/f047e0b9-7131-4f2d-b521-337982c0902a
Microsoft Online Community:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=Windows+8.1+running+slow&IsSuggestedTerm=false&tab=&isFilterExpanded=false&searchFormBtn=&CurrentScope.ForumName=&CurrentScope.Filter=&ContentTypeScope=#////1

Your computer could run slow due to various reasons like less disk space, corrupt Windows system files or security threat like virus and malware. We recommend not uninstalling any updates that your device acquired as they contain programs and security features necessary for your device to function well. Instead, we recommend that you try the following to improve your device performance:
Method 1: Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Go to Control Panel (alternate –Press Windows + W key on the keyboard).
Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press Enter.
Select Troubleshooting. Click on View all and select System Maintenance.
Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Delete programs you never use. It's a good idea to uninstall all the programs you don't plan to use. Your PC might contain manufacturer-installed programs that you never noticed or have since forgotten about. It's never too late to remove these and get rid of the clutter and wasted system resources. Maybe you thought you might use the software someday, but never did. Uninstall it and see if your PC runs faster.
Method 3: Check Memory Usage. With memory, one of the first things to do is find out how much memory (RAM) you have and how much of it is currently being used. You can find out these things and much more in Task Manager.
If you find that much of your RAM is regularly being used, consider adding more RAM if possible especially if your PC only has 1 or 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. To learn more about what kind of RAM your PC model uses, first look at the memory info in Task Manager, and then visit the PC manufacturer’s website for more specific information.
Method 3: Clean up your hard disk. Unnecessary files on your hard disk take up disk space and can slow down your computer. Disk Cleanup (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8) removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes a variety of system files and other items that you no longer need.
Method 4: Check for virus and malware. A common symptom of a virus is a much slower-than-normal computer performance. Other signs include unexpected messages that pop up on your PC, programs that start automatically, or the sound of your hard disk constantly working.
The best way to deal with viruses is to prevent them in the first place. Always run antivirus software and keep it up to date. Even if you take such precautions, however, it's possible for your PC to become infected.
Method 5: Add more storage. A longer-term strategy for expanding your PC's storage capacity is to add removable storage, including SD cards, USB flash drives, DVDs or CDs, or using cloud storage or network drives. For more information, see Tips to free up drive space on your PC. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8)

Tips to free up drive space on your PC
Applies to: Windows 7 & Windows 8.1

Getting a message that your PC is running out of room can be a stressful event—or, even a genuine emergency if you're in the middle of an important project. The good news is you can probably free up a lot of space on your PC running Windows by following the tips here. But if you keep getting messages about low drive space, you might want to consider other options, including adding additional removable storage.

To get the most out of these tips, do them in order from top to bottom.

Show all (https://support.microsoft.com/)

Check the current space on your PC (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Use Disk Cleanup (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Uninstall desktop apps you no longer need (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Uninstall Windows Store apps you no longer need (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Archive or delete files you're no longer using (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Make OneDrive files online-only (https://support.microsoft.com/)
To make files online-only using the OneDrive app (https://support.microsoft.com/)
To make files online-only using File Explorer (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Move your OneDrive files to a removable drive (https://support.microsoft.com/)
Add more storage (https://support.microsoft.com/)

How to configure Kaspersky Total Security 2018
For better performance of your computer

Go to settings (Gear icon), then Performance section and do the following adjustments:

Select the checkbox Disable scheduled scan tasks while running on battery power.
Select the checkbox Automatically disable some Kaspersky Total Security functionality (such as notifications) when applications are launched in full-screen mode.
Select the checkbox Release resources to the operating system when the computer starts.
Clear the checkbox Prevent infection during operating system restart.
Select the checkbox Postpone computer scan tasks when the CPU and disk systems are at high load.
Clear the checkbox Perform Idle Scan (https://support.kaspersky.com/us/13671).
Clear the checkbox Perform analysis of installed applications.
Clear the checkbox Search for software that is intended to conceal traces of a malicious program in the system (rootkits). Kaspersky Total Security 2018 will not run Rootkit search in the background mode.

Recommendation for Sawmillcreek.org
Alan Caro (1/24/2019)

There are three categories of factors that affect computer performance: Hardware, software, and configuration.
Dealing with software and configuration problems is the least expensive, can have remarkably good results, and also indicate as to whether any hardware changes are in order.

Before making actual changes, create a system restore point

As others have mentioned, consider installing and, as Glenn Bradley mentioned, running the free version the free version of CCleaner, which will clean obsolete and temporary files, unused programs, unused extensions, and broken registry entries. Watch that it doesn't delete any programs that are just not used often but that you want to keep.
Then, go to Windows Explorer, click on the C:\ OS partition and right click >Properties > This will show a graphic of the Disk use. Make a note of the amount of free space in that partition. At the bottom click on the Disk Cleanup, which will get rid of further temp files, empty the recycle bin and internet cache files- this can be a surprisingly large quantity.
Press the Window button on the LL keyboard > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. Run the Defragmenter which will reassemble files that have been split apart over time and also consolidate- compact the files on the drive so the access time is shorter. This may take a long time and don't use the computer while it's running.
When the defrag is done, restart the computer and hopefully, the startup will be noticeably faster.
At this point create another system restore point in case something goes wrong. Do a search in YouTube for: windows 8.1 create system restore point.
This next step has to be done very carefully. This is to edit the programs that start when the system is booted. In general, this involves: Windows button and in the "Search programs and files" box at the bottom, type in "msconfig" click on msconfig at the top and there will be a dialog box with selective for Selective Startup. The on the Startup tab, you go through and select programs that will or won't be run at startup. The rule is not to stop any programs from Microsoft, but almost everything listed is worth considering- especially auto updating. I have a quite fast computer and run almost no startup items and zero scheduled items. I suggest not fussing with the "services list, this is dangerous. Before doing the startup editing, consider watching a couple of YouTube be entering the search: Windows 8.1 msconfig startup cleanup.
Download and install the latest graphics card driver. There are billions of You Tube videos on this.
Run the defragmenter again and restart.
If the computer is still very slow, there's a possibility, if the system is 5 or more years old, that the hardware even in good form is not up to being as responsive as you like.
If the performance is not acceptable; download, install, and run the free trial of Passmark Performance Test 9. This will display benchmarks for each major sub-system: Overall System Rating / CPU / 2D / 3D / Memory / Disk and weak spots can become apparent by an Advanced search by make and model of computer and comparing the top few overall system ratings for that system.

Warren Lake
01-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Cant read this right now but heres a story. Years ago met a Video guy who worked at the BBC. We were talking editing and he said his daughter worked at a bank where in the past they always had computer issues but not more. She told him they made up a drive that had all the programs and got it just how they wanted then made a ghost copy of that drive. She said they kept all the info on other drives and not that program drive. Once a month they wiped the program drive clean and reinstalled the program drive ghost. They never again had issues they had for years.

Im likely using some wrong terms but the point was he said lots of crap fills up the computer and wiping it clean and reinstalling kept it running fast. I right away took my info off my main drive and put it on a second hard drive and put that as an external. If the box goes down I can take my info and plug it anywhere else. I have an old Windows 7 box in one room for watching you tubes. I save car repair stuff, Petrolicious stuff, Jay lenos garage and and. that computer just packed it in or wants a reinstall, on that one I dont have the info which was in word docs on an external so now cant just take that and plug into another box.

Thalia Daniels
01-27-2019, 8:44 PM
You shuold upgrade the RAM

Jim Becker
01-28-2019, 8:42 AM
This may or may not have been mentioned, but I was working this weekend on preparing my dad's old laptop for a friend to use as she's currently out of work and needs something portable. It's never been a speedy machine, but even after fully "cleaning it up", I felt it was still more sluggish than it should have been. This is an ASUS machine and as I continued to poke around, I found some OEM processes running in the background including some kind of cloud storage utility...which had never been setup. I eliminated that and the performance is not a little closer to what I would expect a 4GB RAM, low end laptop to exhibit with everything "clean". It still has a lengthy boot up time...remember, this is a low end machine and quite old...but once it's up, both browsing and bringing up Office 365 applications is acceptable. That one thing in the background was really sucking cycles apparently, especially since it was un-configured.

Ole Anderson
01-28-2019, 3:56 PM
I have been following, Alan's 8 step approach. First I ran Windows updater where it installed 4 of 5 of the most recent windows 7 updates, last done 12/31/2018. Apparently I have it set for auto update. Then I created a fresh restore point.

I downloaded and ran Ccleaner. It said 5.9 GB would be gained, but my free space before was 177.380 GB, after, 177.239 GB. I have a 500 GB hard drive. However after defragging, I now read 187.563 GB free. A full hard drive does not seem to be my problem.

After defragging I went in to create a new restore point and noticed that it apparently deleted prior restore points. Somewhat disturbing.

I then went in and eliminated most startup programs.

Now I am stuck at updating the video graphic card driver. I chose the program driversupport.com (Norton tells me it is a safe program). It wants to totally review and update all of my drivers for this specific computer for $9.99, of course it wants my credit card number, phone number and email. Ok to go there?

I know a lot of you are going to tell me to ditch Norton, that will be another discussion. I get it free through Comcast and other than some issues with ransomware a few years ago, it has kept me safe. Yes it affects my performance.

FYI, this computer is about 3 years 3 months old. And I am getting an internet speed of 12/125 mbps up/down

Searching for an SSD for this specific computer (Dell Inspiron 5000 series) Amazon came up with this hybrid SSD/HDD 1 TB unit for $67.99. Can't find any info as to how much of that 1 TB is SSD. But it is a 7200 rpm HDD, faster than my current 5400 rpm 500 GB HDD. https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Solid-State-Hybrid-Inspiron/dp/B0768QTLNJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548441774&sr=8-4&keywords=dell+laptop+hard+drive+solid+state#custom erReviews