PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on a Minimax Fs30c ?

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 1:34 AM
I found in a near by city (about 3 hours away) - a woodworker parting with his Minimax FS 30c. I've been meaning to invest in a jointer and planer. We settled on $3000 and wanted to see what this forum thoughts where on if it's a good deal and if so what's the best way to transport it.

It's about 3 years old and has a blemish on the top of the jointer fence. It doesn't seem to affect the function since it's not on the face of it. Other than that if seems in great condition (has a moveable base - not sure if that comes standard).

I have a 2016 4cyl Tacoma manual transmission. I'm thinking of renting a the smallest trailer from home depot, covering it with a tarp, and strapping to down. I'm a little concerned with getting the weight positioned correctly and the beds rattling. It's stated towing capacity is 3200lbs, I think with the trailer and the jointer/planer I would be at 1500lbs.

The other option would be to transport in the bed - but getting it into/off of the bed seems daunting. The seller has a wench so loading likely will be more easy.

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 1:41 AM
https://imgur.com/a/3RLhUXs

Pics of the blemish

Matthew Hills
01-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Looks to be in pretty good condition.

I haven't checked current prices, but seems like this is ~30% discount off ordering new, delivered.
This is in the range of pricing that can be worthwhile (you are giving up the convenience of delivery and warranty, but saving some money and getting a machine that is already set up and running well).

So, I'd make sure the blades are in good condition (I assume these are Tersa blades? check on the price of a new set so you can factor that in to the pricing if there is an issue with current blades), and make sure that it is running well now.

The mobile base is a 3rd party one. I believe Minimax would normally have a mobility kit (https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/MiniMax-Wheelkits/270527/) -- where it normally rests on its feet, and you can use a bar to lever it up and get it rolling.

In my case, when getting something similar, I rented a small moving truck with a lift gate, kept the unit on its mobile base, and strapped through the machine's body (rather than over the tables).

I've seen a very unpleasant video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA9-KD19eDs&t=4s) of a J/P flipping during delivery, so did not rush any of the loading/unloading. I was worried about putting any pressure on the tables, and also about the top-heavy weighting of the unit. I removed the fence and was happy that the truck's lift was a Tommy Lift, which is a bit slower and smoother than the standard hydraulic lift.

A low-bed trailer with ramp and some helpers might be enough (I think the previous owner of my tool said that he did a local move this way; I was worried about maintaining control with any ramps). And if you do use a ramp, make sure it can't shift on you.

Hopefully some others will chime in with how they successfully moved such a kit.

Matt

Yathin Krishnappa
01-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Can't say much about the deal, but I have moved a similar J/P (Hammer) and remember it being a little difficult with a truck + trailer combo like yours.

Remember that it is not recommended to lift it by holding the tables or strap on the tables. So, if you're not using a ramp + mobile base (looks like your current plan) or a lift gate then a fork lift is the only safe way to load and unload. I picked up my machine from a warehouse which had a forklift and I unloaded it at home using my tractor (with forks attacked to bucket). One thing I noticed is that trailers are very bumpy and heavy loads can wiggle their way out, so you might want to keep any eye and stop every now and then to check on the straps. Also, you might want to consider putting it on a pallet and fastening it to the machine, so that you can tie down the pallet to prevent the load from bouncing. The warehouse guys were helpful and helped me with loading and strapping, but I still took it slow and stopped often to check.

The seller has a wench so loading likely will be more easy.

I think a winch would be more useful than a wench in this case, unless the wench is very strong of course. ;)

Yathin Krishnappa
01-24-2019, 10:52 AM
I've seen a very unpleasant video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA9-KD19eDs&t=4s) of a J/P flipping during delivery, so did not rush any of the loading/unloading.

That *was* unpleasant. I hope the kid got to keep the box though... :-)

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 2:29 PM
I think a winch would be more useful than a wench in this case, unless the wench is very strong of course. ;)

haha, : )

Here is the trailer im targeting. Still thinking about doing this with a trailer. A box truck with a lift gate would add another $250-300 in costs. I think Ill be ok if I strap it down a lot, go slow, and check often.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Channel-Frame-Trailer-5x8/UTL5008HDR/index.html

I appreciate all the advice.

Mike Shields
01-24-2019, 3:42 PM
I have the FS30, and I believe it weighs approx 700 pounds. The legs are not set very wide, meaning the leg foot print is small, making the J/P somewhat unstable for moving, IMO. The cutout area near the legs are too small to use a pallet jack. There are cutouts on the sides of the frame that allow it to be hoisted.

This tool, at the time of my purchase, had no factory option for mobility.

I don't believe the infeed and outfeed tables can be removed, at least easily, to lighten the load. (but I could be wrong)

I moved my FS off the pallet by using alot of blocks, and then placed on a Sawstop hydraulic base.

I can't see this being an easy move without something like a large engine hoist and chains or 5K # nylon straps.

Jim Becker
01-24-2019, 5:25 PM
If I recall, I brought my MF350 home from a show on a small trailer, but I don't have any photos or specific recollection.

John TenEyck
01-24-2019, 5:44 PM
The price seems high to me even for one so new. I recently saw a 15 year old FS-35 for $1500; now that was a deal. But it depends how much you value newer vs. lower cost.

Anyway, I hauled my FS-35 on a 5 x 9' U-Haul trailer with fold down ramp behind my Subaru Outback and had zero trouble. The FS-35 had a mobile base under it; otherwise, it would have been a real bear to do. We wheeled out of the garage shop and up 1/2" plywood laid on the trailer ramp. Three guys made it pretty easy to do. I removed the fence for the drive and secured the J/P with several straps and we made the 6 hour drive w/o incident, just a lot of fuel. My wife and unloaded it w/o much trouble. The tables (and most everything else) do come off, which I had to do to get the machine down into my basement shop, but I don't recommend doing that unless you have to.

Without a mobile base you will likely need to get it onto a piece of plywood and then use a winch (connected to the plywood) to pull it up onto the trailer. Or you could buy a mobile base for it if it doesn't come with one and put it under the machine before loading it.

John

Jim Andrew
01-24-2019, 6:25 PM
I have a 5 x 9 tilt bed lawnmower trailer, with rails, and it would work fine with a couple of ratchet straps holding the J/P down. Be sure to go around the table at least once with each strap and tighten it securely down. Keeps it from turning over or sliding off the trailer. Don't drive real fast and avoid pot holes. Back up to your garage door, and let the trailer down, and roll off into your shop.

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 6:55 PM
The price seems high to me even for one so new. I recently saw a 15 year old FS-35 for $1500; now that was a deal. But it depends how much you value newer vs. lower cost.

Anyway, I hauled my FS-35 on a 5 x 9' U-Haul trailer with fold down ramp behind my Subaru Outback and had zero trouble. The FS-35 had a mobile base under it; otherwise, it would have been a real bear to do. We wheeled out of the garage shop and up 1/2" plywood laid on the trailer ramp. Three guys made it pretty easy to do. I removed the fence for the drive and secured the J/P with several straps and we made the 6 hour drive w/o incident, just a lot of fuel. My wife and unloaded it w/o much trouble. The tables (and most everything else) do come off, which I had to do to get the machine down into my basement shop, but I don't recommend doing that unless you have to.

Without a mobile base you will likely need to get it onto a piece of plywood and then use a winch (connected to the plywood) to pull it up onto the trailer. Or you could buy a mobile base for it if it doesn't come with one and put it under the machine before loading it.

John

Hmm - yah I dont necessarily value new vs old. I more value cheap :) Problem is around my area its a bit of a barren wasteland for equipment (especially old iron). I have hunted on CL for awhile (close to a year) and this is the first Minimax I have seen show up. Maybe I should rephase - good deal with... am I getting ripped off :)

Sounds like the trailer is the way to go. It def is coming with the mobile base.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. This is giving a more confidence that this will be feasible.

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 6:56 PM
I have a 5 x 9 tilt bed lawnmower trailer, with rails, and it would work fine with a couple of ratchet straps holding the J/P down. Be sure to go around the table at least once with each strap and tighten it securely down. Keeps it from turning over or sliding off the trailer. Don't drive real fast and avoid pot holes. Back up to your garage door, and let the trailer down, and roll off into your shop.

thanks! thats pretty much was my plan.

Charles P. Wright
01-24-2019, 7:26 PM
I used a drop deck trailer from sunbelt to get my MM 16" jointer home home. If I recall correctly it cost about $130 for the trailer and a pallet jack for day. It made it very easy to get the machine loaded by forklift at the terminal and unloaded at home.

Video of the trailer dropping:
https://youtu.be/QW9SoNbkz4Y

Mike Kees
01-24-2019, 7:52 PM
Adrian, take a 3/4 sheet of plywood with you,place this under the jointer/planer in the trailer. I take four pieces of 2x4 and deck screws with me. Once the jointer/planer is loaded I screw the 2x4 around the base to prevent shifting. Now strap in down with some rachet straps after tarping it and drive. I have moved about 6 machines in the last year like this ,not once have i had to stop and redo anything. A roll of shrink wrap is handy to help secure the tarp and prevent flapping as well.

ADRIAN MACEIRAS
01-24-2019, 8:05 PM
Adrian, take a 3/4 sheet of plywood with you,place this under the jointer/planer in the trailer. I take four pieces of 2x4 and deck screws with me. Once the jointer/planer is loaded I screw the 2x4 around the base to prevent shifting. Now strap in down with some rachet straps after tarping it and drive. I have moved about 6 machines in the last year like this ,not once have i had to stop and redo anything. A roll of shrink wrap is handy to help secure the tarp and prevent flapping as well.

great idea! makes a ton of sense and would of never thought of it on my own. thanks

Chris Fournier
01-24-2019, 8:17 PM
Great machine, blemish is a non-issue, price seems a bit high but my reference point is 10 years ago or so (selling Canadian$). 600 lbs if I recall correctly and I transported it in the back of a minivan, cargo trailer n two occasions. By myself. Not a challenge if you think like an Egyptian.

Joe Adams
01-25-2019, 12:02 AM
I think you're getting a good deal and I would jump on it if I did not already have a FS 30 (bought in late 2017). Great machine!

You'd have to check with Sam Blasco but I think these are at least $4,000 new plus Texas sales tax plus several hundred in motor freight so probably at least $4,500 drive out.

I would call Sam to get his recommendations on moving it.

The base is a Portamate PM-3500 and moves the 700# beast around with ease. I have the exact same one. It's rock solid when set in position.

I believe your seller's name is Chris and he lives in Katy (Houston), Texas.

He allowed me to look at his FS 30 before ordering mine and I was very impressed with it.

For what it's worth, he seemed like a good guy and I wouldn't have any reservations about buying something from him.

Joe

Jacob Mac
01-25-2019, 6:32 AM
Check to see if the tables are flat? Bc I bought a new one last year and my tables are far from flat. Don't assume quality.

Erik Loza
01-25-2019, 10:54 AM
I’ve moved lots of FS30’s! Here are some tips, in no particular order:

-Don’t even think about trying to load that thing into a pickup truck unless you have a forklift or engine hoist that will go that high. That’s a recipe for dumping it onto the concrete. Low trailer only, assuming you don’t want to dismount the tables.

-Resist the urge to push/pull/swivel by grabbing the jointer tables. “Light maneuvering” is OK but nothing weight bearing. It will be a lot of readjustment if you do.

-Regardless of what you load it onto, find a way to lash the jointer tables to the chassis, in order to keep them from coming loose and rattling themselves to death.

-May seem obvious but take the fence unit off and pack it separately.

Good luck!

Erik