PDA

View Full Version : New Veritas chisel? Did I find an Easter egg in the winter catalog?

Malcolm Schweizer
01-23-2019, 4:03 PM
Page five of the Lee Valley winter 2019 catalog- image of sharpening stones. What chisel is this? Perhaps a prototype offset chisel? Hmmmm- did I miss something or is this not something available yet?

Hasin Haroon
01-23-2019, 6:43 PM
Haha Malcolm I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing....maybe Rob will chime in.

Tony Wilkins
01-23-2019, 6:43 PM
Rob had mentioned a paring chisel they were developing and that looks like it. It was delayed by all that was going on last year.

lowell holmes
01-23-2019, 6:47 PM
Rob likes to tease us doesn't he.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-23-2019, 11:33 PM
I believe he is a smart marketer. It was no accident, and I am now his pawn. :-)

Phil Mueller
01-23-2019, 11:59 PM
You’re not alone, Malcolm.

Derek Cohen
01-24-2019, 12:54 AM
Page five of the Lee Valley winter 2019 catalog- image of sharpening stones. What chisel is this? Perhaps a prototype offset chisel? Hmmmm- did I miss something or is this not something available yet?

Mmmm ... Rob must have his reasons for the photo ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee
01-24-2019, 9:03 AM

Way to go Eagle Eye Malcolm! You have a slot in our proofing department anytime you want it..... :)

That completely slipped past everyone here. So clever, in fact, I wish it had been on purpose! Our flushing chisels have been ready to go for awhile now, but we've been sitting on them until we have our production of our current chisels in hand. Though they do not use the same constrained equipment as our other chisels - it would be bad optics to release them. Good news is - we have lots - and the extra wait time will mean we can produce a complementary chisel roll to hold them.

On the production front, we have two shiny new CNC grinders being installed in the next few weeks, which will enable us to get ahead of demand again. Our shop staff have been working on a workflow transformation for more than 8 months, and that project has seen a sustainable efficiency gain of 15-20% before the addition of new resources. We should be opening up the new product pipeline again by summer.... and there's a lot ready to go!

Cheers -

Rob

Christopher Charles
01-24-2019, 2:14 PM
Move. Away. Slowly.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-24-2019, 3:58 PM
Way to go Eagle Eye Malcolm! You have a slot in our proofing department anytime you want it..... :)

That completely slipped past everyone here. So clever, in fact, I wish it had been on purpose! Our flushing chisels have been ready to go for awhile now, but we've been sitting on them until we have our production of our current chisels in hand. Though they do not use the same constrained equipment as our other chisels - it would be bad optics to release them. Good news is - we have lots - and the extra wait time will mean we can produce a complementary chisel roll to hold them.

On the production front, we have two shiny new CNC grinders being installed in the next few weeks, which will enable us to get ahead of demand again. Our shop staff have been working on a workflow transformation for more than 8 months, and that project has seen a sustainable efficiency gain of 15-20% before the addition of new resources. We should be opening up the new product pipeline again by summer.... and there's a lot ready to go!

Cheers -

Rob

You know, Rob, that is a job that could be done remotely, so I might be available. I’ve heard it’s a little cold up your way this time of year. :-) Of course I would gladly come meet the other staff members every July.