PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting in San Antonio, Tx

Brian Eaton
01-22-2019, 7:45 PM
I will be down in San Antonio, Tx for a few days next month and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for good places to rust hunt down there. If you do, and wouldn’t mind sharing, let me know!

im starting a list of possible places to check out while I’m down there.

lowell holmes
01-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Check this out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=used+carpentry+hand+tools+in+san+antonio+ texas&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF66Lxp4TgAhURi6wKHdLrDxgQsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1280&bih=625

John Stankus
01-23-2019, 2:25 PM
Brian,
I'm not aware of great rust hunting spots down here in San Antonio. (to be honest my brother was more of the rust hunter...and I have benefited from the excess of what he found). There are two permanent flea markets nearby Busby's on the east side I-35 in Schertz (exit 176 or 177) open Sat and Sun and Trader's Village on 410 on the Southwest side of town. I went to Busbys about 11 or 12 years ago when I moved down from Plano to teach at UIW (when Nortel imploded), I really didn't see much good rust to hunt there, but it could have been timing. I haven't been to Traders Village. There is also the usual assortment of antique malls, but can't really suggest what would be a good one. There is the Wimberley First Saturday trade days, but I think that runs March-December.

Happy to give input on places to eat and other stuff to do.

I miss the North Texas Woodworkers Association (NTWA) meetings from when I used to live up in Plano. There was a Guild here, but each fall I teach a lab (physical chemistry) that often runs late and so kept missing the meetings. I can no longer find their website.

John

Brian Eaton
01-24-2019, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the input! Seems like a lot of Texas just doesn’t have much in the way of good rust hunting for old woodworking tools! I saw the flea markets but I’m not sure I’ll be able to make those. I may check out a few antique shops just for the heck of it. My favorite place to eat down in San Antonio is Rosario’s - great food and drinks!