PDA

View Full Version : Goncalo alves snifter....

Michael Stafford
12-04-2005, 2:06 PM
A friend of mine travels a lot and he finds wood for me on nearly every trip. On a recent adventure he came back with this big block of heavily waxed wood wrapped in plastic that had a piece of tape on it upon which "Goncalo alves" was written. So on that basis I am saying this piece is made from Goncalo alves.

It was very wet upon roughing it out so I dutifully soaked it in alcohol and wrapped it in heavy brown paper. After a month and a half of drying I unwrapped it and to my dismay it was 3/8" out of round. It was oval! I had while roughing the piece decided to duplicate the bowl of a brandy snifter. Fortunately I left the sides round enough to keep that basic shape although it is not as full as I would have liked.

I chucked it up and turned and thankfully I had left the sides thick enough to get it round again. It finished up at about 7" tall and 7" in diameter. The sides finished at a smidgeon over a 1/4" with the bottom a little thicker. If you look carefully you can see some dark smudges where the piece was evidently about to go into full fledged spalting. An interesting wood to work.

Thanks for looking. The view from the top makes the wood appear lighter than it is.

Jeremiah Jordan
12-04-2005, 2:38 PM
Very nice brandy sniffer Micheal. Just wondering if you used a food safe finish on it, to snife some nice brandy lol.

I have seen some blanks for sale on ebay everynow and then. Might have to get a few and turn em.

Jeremiah.

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 3:00 PM
Very nice form, Mike! I like it a lot.

Dick Parr
12-04-2005, 4:41 PM
Very nice Mike..! That wood is really pretty, you need to make a box out of some...;)

Keith Burns
12-04-2005, 5:01 PM
As usual Big Mike you have a talent for getting the most out of a piece of wood. Had no idea from the photo that it was that big. Great form and finish. The grain fits the piece perfectly.

Chris Barton
12-04-2005, 5:17 PM
It looks great Mike! I believe I have seen some of the Rockler's carrying that wood in their more recent turning stock. I love the color.

Ernie Nyvall
12-04-2005, 7:23 PM
You certainly got the form down. Beautiful finish and wood.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 7:32 PM
Really super, Mike. That grain is scrumpdillyicious.

Jim Ketron
12-04-2005, 7:35 PM
Nice one Mike!
The finish and the color of the wood makes me want to pick it up and hold it!
Wish I had a friend like that!

Travis Stinson
12-04-2005, 9:10 PM
Everything that's already been said! The color/grain/finish looks like it could just melt into your hand..............Wonderful!:D

John Hart
12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm with Travis...What everyone else said.:)
Very cool Mike....Touchable.

Jerry Clark
12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I like it -- nice form and color-- good grain pattern also.:D

Bill Stevener
12-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi Mike,
Just catching up. Everyone else has said it all, so I'll just double it.
Very, very nice,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Very, very nice Big Mike....I love the color, form and figure in that wood. Simply beautiful. I hope to post some pics of a bowl I just finished. Maybe tomorrow night I'll get them posted.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-05-2005, 12:43 AM
DITTO>>>>>>>>>>>>DITTO< ETC.

Nepoleon Please!

Bruce

Mark Cothren
12-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Another dandy from Bigamus Mikeamus! Not a thing to dislike about this one!

Thanks for the pictures!

Joe Tonich
12-05-2005, 2:37 PM
Another dandy from Bigamus Mikeamus!

Somebody HELP him..........He spoke GREEK!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :p

........but Marks right.........it's a DANDY!!!!!!!!!:D

Love the color and form. :D :D

Joe

Robert Watsek
12-05-2005, 3:27 PM
As usual Big Mike you have a talent for getting the most out of a piece of wood. Had no idea from the photo that it was that big. Great form and finish. The grain fits the piece perfectly.

I have to agree with Keith on this one...........Nice save, thanks for sharing the pic and details w/us.

Bob