PDA

View Full Version : D-way bushing in a jimmy clewes quick release

tom lucas
01-22-2019, 7:12 PM
Has anyone tried to use the D-way 5/8" bushing in a Jimmy Clewes 5/8" quick release? Does it work? I like some of the flat shank D-way tools (e.g. thin parting tool), but I want to use my JC quick release handle with them, which would require a bushing.

Reed Gray
01-23-2019, 9:24 AM
Not sure if it would work or not. I have a number of the flat shank NRSs that I put in round handles with a set screw/round knob type handles, Oneway, D Way, and Boxmaster (Jimmy Allen who now owns D Way). They work fine with the set screw. Dave said the set screws work best on the top of the shank rather than on the flat, but Jimmy has longer screws and sets them on the flat. Both work, but they are not tools for heavy roughing...

robo hippy

tom lucas
01-23-2019, 6:42 PM
For now, i'm mainly interested in the parting tool. So, no heavy cutting.

Reed Gray
01-23-2019, 8:52 PM
Well, stick it in and tighten it up. Mostly I would twist it around to see if it moves. It may make a difference where you put it in vs handle orientation. so like noon/3 o'clock/6 o'clock.... I would worry more about it twisting sideways as you cut. If it is a half inch shank, you could tale a 1/2 inch dowel and cut it down the center for the thickness and slip them in along side the dowel. Probably best to make a handle for it eventually...

robo hippy

John Beaver
01-23-2019, 8:58 PM
Don't know about the bushing, but the d-way tools are oversized bar and do not fit into the Jimmy Clew's quick releases. They need to be ground down to work. If you look at the Thompson tools, you will see that the end that goes into the quick release are already sized properly.

tom lucas
01-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Don't know about the bushing, but the d-way tools are oversized bar and do not fit into the Jimmy Clew's quick releases. They need to be ground down to work. If you look at the Thompson tools, you will see that the end that goes into the quick release are already sized properly.

Thanks John. That is what I was afraid of. I suspect the same is true for the bushings. So now I'm looking at Carter & Sons. Wondering about their 1/2" shanks. I'm in the market for a thin parting tool and a bedan. Thompson doesn't sell a thin parting and is out of stock on the 3/8" bedan.

Reed Gray
01-24-2019, 12:02 AM
Hmm, I have a number of D Way and Thompson, and they both fit into Oneway and D Way handles exactly the same. For those set in wood handles, I drill the same size holes. Don't have the Clewes set up, so can't comment there.

robo hippy

Bill Blasic
01-24-2019, 6:44 AM
I have seen no difference between sizes of Thompson and D-Way, they fit in my handles.