PDA

View Full Version : Artistry In Wood Show Dayton Ohio, Final show

Dave Lehnert
01-22-2019, 4:55 PM
The Dayton Woodcarvers "Artistry In Wood Show" is going to have it last show this year after 28 years. Said that the woodcarvers putting on the show are getting older and no longer able to volunteer. No younger woodworkers to take there place.
I went to every show each year for I bet 25 years. Sad to see it go. It was a great show.

Any guess what it was that the older generation were interested in woodworking but not the younger?

Ben Zara
01-23-2019, 5:54 AM
That's a shame. Please post some pics after your visit.

Frederick Skelly
01-23-2019, 10:19 AM
That's a doggone shame Dave.
Maybe the younger generation is more interested in using CNC to carve. I saw a demo of that once.
Fred

Richard Coers
01-23-2019, 11:18 AM
The Dayton Woodcarvers "Artistry In Wood Show" is going to have it last show this year after 28 years. Said that the woodcarvers putting on the show are getting older and no longer able to volunteer. No younger woodworkers to take there place.
I went to every show each year for I bet 25 years. Sad to see it go. It was a great show.

Any guess what it was that the older generation were interested in woodworking but not the younger?

All craft is cyclic. We drove a big industry when baby boomers got interested in working with their hands in the early 70s. Back to nature kind of thing. Before that, machinery was basically for the construction trade. Now boomers are slowing and about the only thing they are driving is assisted living and nursing home construction. Younger people are heading back into the cities, and a shop space is just impossible.

David Utterback
01-23-2019, 3:18 PM
When and where is it, Dave? I am nearby and love seeing artistry. Thanks!

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2019, 1:28 AM
When and where is it, Dave? I am nearby and love seeing artistry. Thanks!

The show started out at the Hara arena then for years moved to the Expo Center at the Dayton air show. It is now located at The Roberts Center I-71 and rt 68 near Wilmington ohio. https://www.robertscentre.com/

https://youtu.be/XRE44xkWRo8?t=40