PDA

View Full Version : The Birds Seemed a Bit Voracious

Jim Koepke
01-22-2019, 2:47 AM
Then a look out the window explains it all:

We mounted an old satellite dish to a tree for use as a bird feeder.

Maybe it should have been mounted a little higher.

jtk

Lee Schierer
01-22-2019, 8:07 AM
That doesn't surprise me. However, our birds have been going through about double the normal amount now that the temps are in the single digits over night and only in the teens during the day.

I don't know if cayenne pepper will repel deer or not it works for squirrels and doesn't bother birds.

John K Jordan
01-22-2019, 11:08 AM
That doesn't surprise me. However, our birds have been going through about double the normal amount now that the temps are in the single digits over night and only in the teens during the day.

I don't know if cayenne pepper will repel deer or not it works for squirrels and doesn't bother birds.

A circling wire energized by an electric fence charger will definitely encourage the deer go elsewhere. Won't affect the birds. Dab a bit of peanut butter on the wire if you want to proactively engage the deer. I do this on a low garden fence and have had no deer in the garden in the 15 years of gardening here. I saw a deer get nose-to-wire with fence and jump backwards and flip and run like a mountain lion was in pursuit.

JKJ

Tom Bender
01-30-2019, 7:53 AM
I tried this to keep chipmunks out of the flower bed,,,and failed. Ran two strands close to the ground but it only shocks once in about 5 seconds. For some reason this did not get their attention.

Tom Stenzel
01-30-2019, 8:38 AM
At Mom's we have a bird feeder outside her window. The day after I put it up my brother called, "What's with the bird and deer feeder you put in?"

:)

Now I'm forbidden from moving it. It's a bird *AND* deer feeder even if that wasn't the plan.

-Tom

Lee Schierer
01-30-2019, 3:52 PM
At Mom's we have a bird feeder outside her window. The day after I put it up my brother called, "What's with the bird and deer feeder you put in?"

:)

Now I'm forbidden from moving it. It's a bird *AND* deer feeder even if that wasn't the plan.

-Tom
Just wait until the black bears show up.

Our bird feeder feeds all types of birds. This one prefers mourning doves.

John K Jordan
01-31-2019, 6:52 AM
I tried this to keep chipmunks out of the flower bed,,,and failed. Ran two strands close to the ground but it only shocks once in about 5 seconds. For some reason this did not get their attention.

I have another type of charger that is continuous, unlike livestock chargers. There is a potential problem though - while the pulsed fence chargers can blacken vegetation the manual for the continuous charger warned that the continuous arcing can set plants on fire so I quite using it.

Bruce Wrenn
01-31-2019, 9:44 PM
Lead oxide, applied at a high rate of velocity will take care of deer problem. But then you have to get rid of body. They have already been pawing the mulch where my day lilies are planted. Tomorrow the fence charger goes back up. Surprise, surprise!

Frederick Skelly
02-01-2019, 6:44 AM
That's a neat picture Jim! Caught in the act!

Lee, I loved the owl, too!

Lee Schierer
02-01-2019, 8:39 AM
Lee, I loved the owl, too!

It's a cooper or sharp shinned hawk. It tends to be a regular visitor ince it catches a mourning dove.