PDA

View Full Version : Google calendar problem

Lee Schierer
01-21-2019, 12:34 PM
I was just checking my records for doctor appointments and such for tax purposes and scrolled back in my phone calendar to the first part of 2018. I noticed that events sent to me by the church secretary all showed up but none of the events I recorded directly on my phone such as oil changes, dentist, doctor etc were showing. Apparently google calendar only stores the previous 6 months of personal items and there doesn't appear to be a way to change that.

Has anyone found a way to keep records of personal appointments longer than 6 months on goggle calendar?

Is there a calendar app that will keep personal appointments stored for longer periods?

Mike Ontko
01-21-2019, 3:32 PM
Lee,

I use Google Calendar through my phone (a Samsung running an Android OS) and have a full history of events going back to at least 2016, and because it's Google Calendar, that info is also available from my home PC, or any other system that I can access my calendar from using a browser.

Do you not have your phone synchronized to your Google Calendar account? It's possible that the calendar you're using on your phone is not tied to your Google Calendar info, and what you're seeing is something separate.

Lee Schierer
01-21-2019, 7:37 PM
I also got a new phone at about the cutoff date for my personal events. Both phones were Samsung and the transfer restored my contacts, photos, email and I thought my calendar as well. As I said it has church events back to the first of the year just not my personal stuff.

Where do I look to insure it is synchronized?

Mike Ontko
01-22-2019, 3:57 PM
If you've already configured your gmail account to work with your phone, then it should already be configured. But, you should also be able to check this setting and make changes by going to your accounts (on my phone I have to select the Settings gear icon, then scroll down to Accounts), and then clicking on Google.

In the Google related account settings, there are options for syncing to all of the Google applications that you can associate with your account.

Lee Schierer
01-23-2019, 5:27 AM
I think I have the problem figured out. Google wasn't synchronized with my phone before I switched phones so the personal data before the switch was never recorded. The data for church events was issued from a computer that was working through google so that information was recorded. I also found some information that the phone may be dropping data over a certain time limit to save space. There is probably a setting to change somewhere, but I can't find it. I never did find where google calendar is specifically being backed up to google.

I did learn that going to setting from the front page pull down at the top of the page is not the same as going to the settings app. The two paths are different and have different things that can be altered. I also finally found how to get rid of an erroneous google account from my phone.

Time will tell.