PDA

View Full Version : what size bandsaw blades (hidden gloat)?

Dave Carson
12-04-2005, 9:03 AM
After much torment (and suggestions from you), I picked up a Shopfox 14" bandsaw on Friday. Riser block will be here Thursday.

I have been looking at Timberwolf blades. What size do I get 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4? Can I really tension a 3/4 blade enough on this saw?

Thanks
Dave

Byron Trantham
12-04-2005, 9:09 AM
Dave I have a Jet 14" and I can't tension a 1/2" to the recommended tension though it works quite well. I bought an Iturra blade tensioner gage and found out that I could get about 3/4 of the recommended tension for a 1/2" blade. I think a 1/2" blade is about the reasonable limit for a 14" saw. Another point is the tensioning springs. My original springs were extremely under powered! Yours may be fine as I believe the manufacturers are now installing stiffer springs. Hope this helps.

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 9:38 AM
Blade size and configuration depends on what you are going to be doing. There is no "one blade fits all" situation. Talk to the folks at Suffolk about what kind of work you are going to be doing and they will recommend the sizes and tooth configurations appropriate for that work. And buy an extra of the one you will be running most of the time so you don't have any forced down-time should it wear out or break. Bandsaw blades are disposables and having a supply is a good idea.

John Bailey
12-04-2005, 11:55 AM
But, we don't see it, do we!!;)

John

lou sansone
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I personally like the 1/2" timberwolf blades " 1/2" 3PC " they are 0.025" thick. They seem to work pretty good on my saw. I do have larger blades and carbide tipped ones as well, but I like the results I get and the feel of the saw when I am running it.

lou

Vaughn McMillan
12-04-2005, 3:19 PM
Congrats on the new saw Dave, and thanks for asking the same question I was intending to ask. ;)

I think I'll just hang out behind you for a while and do everything you do. :p

- Vaughn

P.S. What are we having for dinner tonight?