PDA

View Full Version : More Corel Qustions about layers

Ed Lang
12-04-2005, 7:41 AM
Here is what I am trying to do.

Scan a paper plan, save, import into Corel 12, draw my lines to match the plan, edit the design to make it what I want not exactly what the plan is. Send to the laser and engrave/cut.

So far I can scan the plan and save. What format would you suggest I save it in, .jpg, .bmp etc.. ?

I can import it into Corel 12.

So how do you go about this?

I am searching the help files and watching the training video that came with Corel 12 but I must be missing something.

Thanks

Bob Tate
12-04-2005, 7:57 AM
There are probably lots of ways to skin this cat. I wouls scan to a TIF file.
Open Corel and set my page size. "Import" the TIF. Open TOOLS/Object Manager and lock that layer (by clicking on the "Pencil" icon on that layer. Create a new layer and redraw on the new layer. When you are finished you can delete the layer containing the TIF. OR Corel Trace the TIF and work from there, another good option.
If you have more questions, bring 'em on!

Ed Lang
12-04-2005, 8:38 AM
Thanks Bob.

I am finding Corel to be fun and easy, that is after you learn what tools do. I also find is hard to move between PartWizard, my CNC router CAD/CAM software and the Corel suite. Just gotta get more stick time I guess.

Thanks for the procedure, I have printed it out and will try it now.

Back to help to find out how to create a layer :D

Lee DeRaud
12-04-2005, 10:10 AM
I am finding Corel to be fun and easy, that is after you learn what tools do. I also find is hard to move between PartWizard, my CNC router CAD/CAM software and the Corel suite. Just gotta get more stick time I guess.Moving between Corel and CAD programs may be an on-going issue anyway: they seem to require fundamentally different mindsets...things in Corel go smoother when I forget I even know how to spell "CAD". (Or maybe that's just me.:p )

Bob Tate
12-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Of course if you are tracing/recreating line work, it may be easier to vectorize the drawing and import it and modify it to your tastes.
I am using Illustrator CS2 Live Trace these days. It is about the most accurate vectorizing software I have ever seen. I do a lot of that, home and work. I work full time as a Graphic Artist and use Illustrator all day, every day. Then I come home and share my time between Illustrator and CorelDraw. Probably not as different as CAD and Corel but many fundamental differences and I am always having to stop and think what tool, what command, and how things work in Corel.
If you want to try vectorizing your drawing and do not have the capability, just let me know. I would be glad to help.