PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail jigs

marlin adams
01-19-2019, 7:15 PM
Well over the past few years I had friends and family buy woodworking tools and supplies either online or garage sales for my birthday and as christmas presents. Well 2 of them are dovetail jigs. One a E-Z Pro Dovetailer II Dovetail Jig my wife bought for me brand new for one of my birthdays and the other my wife got at a garage sale a Wolfcraft dovetail jig.

Well today being in between projects I decided to mess with the general ez pro and see how well it does. I had some small scraps of pine and made some dovetails. They turn out alright good enough to make some drawers and maybe a box or 2 and it was pretty easy to use on my router table. When the first of the month hits I am going to get some more regular 1"x6" pine and tweak the ez pro a little more for the best dovetail joints plus I am going to try the Wolfcraft dovetail jig since it came with a full set of instructions.401675401676401677401678

David Utterback
01-20-2019, 6:38 PM
Looks like you are pretty close. Show us the results of your further testing.

marlin adams
01-20-2019, 9:57 PM
I will after the first

Richard Coers
01-20-2019, 10:48 PM
I'd suggest you set it up to get a tighter joint. Too gappy for Titebond, you'd need epoxy to make a structural joint with that fit. I set up to require a light tap with a dead blow hammer. If it goes together with no resistance, it's too loose.

Ron Citerone
01-21-2019, 2:08 PM
I'd suggest you set it up to get a tighter joint. Too gappy for Titebond, you'd need epoxy to make a structural joint with that fit. I set up to require a light tap with a dead blow hammer. If it goes together with no resistance, it's too loose.

I agree. Also, for dovetail drawers made with a jig and mortise and tenon, it seems I always end up taking them apart several times before gluing and they get looser in the process.