PDA

View Full Version : Kreg K3

Anthony Anderson
12-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I want to give the Kreg Jig a try. Everyone that has wrote a review has had all good things to say about it. My dilemna is that I don't really know if the new K3 Master System ($150) is worth the extra money compared to the Rocket kit ($50). I will be doing mostly face frame with the Kreg Jig. I would like opinions from creekers who own, or have used either/both Kreg kit. Would the rocket kit serve my purpose, or would the Kreg K3 Master System have added features that make it the better value? I am stuck, so all of your help is appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Walt Pater
12-04-2005, 6:51 AM
Buy the whole kit and kaboodle, esp. if you're primarily doing shop work, like face frames. I use the rocket in the field, esp. for trim work, and love it, but the fence, etc. gives you repeatability and speed that you're not going to get with the rocket. It's well worth it to buy the kit.

Chris Barton
12-04-2005, 8:38 AM
I have the K3 and agree that the full system is very nice to have if you can affort it but, if you are short of cash the drill guide, drill bit, and clamp are really all you "have to have" to do pocket screws for any application. I think the K3 is a very good investment...

Travis Porter
12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
It is worth it. If you buy the rocket you will regret not getting the full thing once you start. There are going to be instances when you need the other functionality and you won't regret it down the road. If cash is the issue, start with one, but if you are just trying to save some money, it would be money well spent in the long run.

Another thing I learned is don't skimp on the drill bits. When I bought mine originally, I broke the bit (dropped it in the drill) and ordered 3 more bits from woodworkers supply. The 3 of them broke in use so fast it was scary. Thought about it and ordered Kreg bits and have not broken another in 6 years.

Robert E Lee
12-04-2005, 4:23 PM
Grizzly has the K2000 KREG with extras for 124.95. # H 1342 ends 12/8/02
Bob

Anthony Anderson
12-08-2005, 1:08 PM
Walt, Chris, Travis, and Robert,

Thanks for your input on the Kreg K3. I went ahead and bought the K3 system. I love it!:D The torque on the screws took some adjusting as I broke some of the first ones I put into test pieces:eek: , but now I have hang of it;) . I put the face frames together for two entertainment units that I am building for the theater room in no time at all. Much quicker and easier than the biscuits. And now I am thinking of all kinds of projects that I am going to use it on. I was also surprised that the dust collection on the K3 works really well. I will posts some pictures once I finish the entertainment units. Again, Thanks a lot. Bill

Scott Loven
12-16-2005, 5:27 PM
I sell the K3 and will be giving one away along with some Kreg DVDs as soon as Aaron has time to get it into the Free Stuff program here at the creek. Stay tuned, you may be one of the lucky ones!
Scott