PDA

View Full Version : Small RF Laser Machine

Julian Ashcroft
01-18-2019, 2:59 AM
I’ve recently ordered a small 5030 air cooled 30w machine, this will be used almost exclusively to engrave leather. I currently use a 60w water cooled laser, for the same job, which I may retire and sell on.

Reason for going for an air cooled machine is hopefully it will be more reliable with less downtime due to longer ‘tube’ life, not that I’ve had any issues with the present machine and the tube in that is coming up to three years old. Hopefully it will also be that bit quicker at engraving.

I also wanted something semi portable, no water to worry about and no delicate glass tube to break if I was to move the machine to different locations (possible retirement plans).

When I ordered the laser I made sure it would run Lightburn, as it’s a great piece of software and most of my files are now in that format.

I only run the 60w machine at around 60% power, but would I be able to run the RF machine at higher levels, close to 100%, which might well be needed as it’s a lower power machine.

Once I get it, I’ll post some photos and comments on how I’m getting on with it.

Kev Williams
01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
faster engraving isn't only a matter of going faster than 500 or 700mm per second, you need the power to make use of the speed. Certain materials, like wood and leather, need a LOT of power at high speeds. My 40w RF LS900 runs 80" (2000mm) per second, my 80w glass Triumph I can run at 700mm/second; and when engraving wood the Triumph is easily 3x faster, and with leather, depending on the end game, the Triumph is pretty much equal, to much faster than my LS900. For engraving plastics and anodized aluminum, my RF machines are 4-5x faster than the Triumph. Other materials, my RF machines simply lack the power to use the speed...

Julian Ashcroft
01-19-2019, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Kev, it will be interesting to see how it performs.