PDA

View Full Version : New Knight Planes

Mark Singer
12-03-2005, 9:58 PM
I just recieved 2 of Steve Knights planes...and they are really great! The Pocket Plane with a capscrew...mine is IPE and the Razee Jack in Padouk...The Pocket Plane is like a block and can be used to work on small areas or with the small and adjustable mouth can even be used as a smoother. The screw cap holds very well and there is no tearout...it is a joy to use. The Razee Jack is also a great design the weight and balance is superb. You can almost tell it where to shave and it responds...it gows on you very fast... He is making some great planes...I have 3 now which includes the coffin smoother ...all have the thick irons...oooh nice

http://www.knight-toolworks.com/ebayads/ebonypocket.jpg

http://www.knight-toolworks.com/ebayads/padoukrazeejack.jpg

Brad Olson
12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
I use my knight pocket plane in lieu of a LA block plane. Block planes don't work so well with the types of woods I use, so my 55 degree bedded knight pocket plane fills this use much better.

Also more comfortable and user friendly with my favorite lateral set screws. With the screw cap popping the blade in and out for honing is really fast.

Bob Noles
12-04-2005, 6:29 AM
Hi Mark,

I picked up 2 of his planes back when he had is 50% off deal. They are sweet planes for sure. I need to borrow the wife's camera and get some pics going myself.

Javier Gonzalez
12-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I got the pocket plane, Ipe with Lignum sole. It came ready to make nice
shavings.

Mark Bergman
12-04-2005, 3:21 PM
I have 8 of Steve's planes - 4 smoothers (45,50,55,60), a scrub, jack, plow and dovetail. Great stuff. If my old Stanley #8 didn't perform reasonably well, which it does, I'd get a Knight jointer as well. Ah, who knows, I might get one of those anyway, and ebay my #8.

Dick Parr
12-04-2005, 4:48 PM
Very nice Mark, but where do the power cords attach :confused: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 5:45 PM
Hmm....Sir Mark Singer. Knighted again... :D :D :D

(Nice planes...)

Jerry Palmer
12-05-2005, 9:40 AM
I got the screw cap with my smoother and have been amazed at how easy adjusting the blade in it is compared to some other woodies I have with wedges. I presumed the metal screw cap was responsible for this, but I gotta ask, since you've got one of each type (at the least) if it is the screw cap or just Steve's planes.

Mark Singer
12-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I got the screw cap with my smoother and have been amazed at how easy adjusting the blade in it is compared to some other woodies I have with wedges. I presumed the metal screw cap was responsible for this, but I gotta ask, since you've got one of each type (at the least) if it is the screw cap or just Steve's planes.

Having used wedged woodies for many years it hasn't been an issue...the screw cap is pretty easy and really holds once you set it. Just laying on a board to set it doesn't work all that well ...I do like the screw caps so far

Dan Forman
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Mark---The palanes llok great, I esp. like the razee. I was going to jump on that sale, then thought I should try to make my own. Now I wish I had gone for it. :( I still wany to make one or two though. I wonder what the difference is between one made by a beginner, and one by a master?

Dan