PDA

View Full Version : Question for MK.II Owners

Bob Winkler
12-03-2005, 9:03 PM
I'm seriously considering getting the MK.II power sharpener and have a question about it. Is the diameter of the platter large enough to flatten soles of planes? From what I've read and seen, it seems to do a good job on chisels and plane irons. I have to admit that sharpening is a real chore for me.

I'd consider the LapSharp, but don't know if I can get over feeling THAT guilty about the price. :eek: Plus, I kind of trust the LV/Veritas group. I've never been disappointed yet.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

Mark Singer
12-03-2005, 9:18 PM
Bob,
I have the MK II and have never used it to flatten a plane... It would only be large enough for a block plane. I don't the the finished plane would be as flat as from the manufactuer. The LV planes are coming out pretty dead flat, as are the LN.. A slow stroke on a flat surface like a jointer table w/ abrasive is probably better. As far as the MKII ...it is fast, consistent and is a great way to go for chisels and planes....I still have my Tormek around for stuff and some waterstones for the finer tools.

Gary Curtis
12-03-2005, 9:56 PM
An LV sales rep at a show told me when I bought my Mk. II that all the research and development was in those platters. It gives sharp edge because the platters are dead flat, and are manufactured by some Aerospace outfit. It might be Bombardier of Canada.

Bearing down one side of a spinning platter with a 3lb plane would frighten me. Not to mention the side torque it would impose on the motor bearings.

Five months ago, I wore my arms off using the scary sharp system to true up the bottoms of 5 planes. As my arms grew to the size of "Governor Arnie's" biceps, I had accomplished nothing. Except destroying $20 worth of sandpaper.

Some were out-of-true by about .005". I spoke with my neighbor, a machinist. He ran them through a precision grinder and did the job correctly.

Gary Curtis

Mark Singer
12-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Gary
The platters are made of Alucabond, This is an aluminium sandwich panel used as building cladding....nothing that high tech...been around for years...they will tell you all kinds of stuff.. You are correct about the soles...not wort the effeort and it doesn't really matter all that much....IMHO

http://www.alucobondusa.com/

Brad Olson
12-04-2005, 12:40 AM
FYI, I DO NOT recommend that you flatten your plane soles UNLESS you are having problems getting peak performance.

It is acually very easy to screw up a plane sole with the wrong sole flattening technique. I have been suprised how many planes I have use that were out by a lot yet still could hog off 0.001" shavings and make lumber flat. If your plane doesn't make lumber flat, or can't make fine shavings and you have rules everything else out then start looking at flattening the sole

Even then if you must flatten a plane sole, I never recommend that a novice use a powered device to flatten a sole. Slow, careful and dedicated strokes over sandpaper on a dead flat surface is the best way to do this. Start coarse (say 80 if it is bad, ideally 120 grit) and then polish away the scratches. Also remember that the sole doesn't have to be 100% flat across the surface.

Finally, if a plane sole is really badly goofed up then it is easier just to find a new plane to use. Right now the antique stanley market is quite depressed and you can find good user planes in most sizes for very reasonably prices. No sense spending 50 hours fixing up a plane when you could buy one that is closer to being a user for $30.

Just my words of warning from seing the results of many sole flattening operations gone bad and having no answer to the aflicted person.

Mark Singer
12-04-2005, 1:06 AM
Brad,
I agree I never mess with any of my planes soles and they work great. I think really adjusting them properly and getting a good one to start with is essential...sharpening the iron is key also....the sole...leave it alone

John Lucas
12-04-2005, 1:46 AM
Well it looks like I am going to be in the minority. I used the MKII for flattening the sole of a garage sale plane. If there is a trick to it it is to NOT work it too hard or too fast. It is a different plane now.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-154.jpg
Here is a two page review of the MKII: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-12a.htm

Bob Winkler
12-04-2005, 9:40 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I figured it would work great on plane irons and chisels, and I hoped it might clean up some old beater planes I either inherited or picked up at tag sales. Thanks John for the great review.

Time to add the MK.II to my wish list

Bob

Cameron Reddy
12-04-2005, 1:27 PM
I got a bunch of extra platters and put various grits on them. I think the system is great.

The only negative is the difficulty of applying the grit sheets to the platters without getting any airpockets. Very difficult. And try to "pop" the air bubbles without digging into the nice flat platter.:mad:

Fortunately, however, a few small bumps does not seem to degrade performance and the edges come out nice and sharp.

Brad Olson
12-04-2005, 5:44 PM
I got a bunch of extra platters and put various grits on them. I think the system is great.

The only negative is the difficulty of applying the grit sheets to the platters without getting any airpockets. Very difficult. And try to "pop" the air bubbles without digging into the nice flat platter.:mad:

Fortunately, however, a few small bumps does not seem to degrade performance and the edges come out nice and sharp.

Don't know if you know this, but you just put the discs on with water. I don't know if this is in the manual, but I saw this done at a demonstration. Only negative is that you have to wait a bit for the water to siphon out before the abrasive sticks. I don't have a Mk.II, but I think a search on Woodnet will reveal a discussion realated to how this works, since I don't recall it being discussed here on SMC.

Hoa Dinh
12-05-2005, 2:37 AM
... you just put the discs on with water ...I don't recall it being discussed here on SMC.

See my post in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23395).

Also, get a footswitch for it, as mentioned in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16463).

Cameron Reddy
12-05-2005, 10:48 AM
A footswitch is a great idea!

Not sure how you apply the adhesive disks with water... I don't recall reading that in the manual... Maybe you mean: apply the disks while holding everything under water? That would be a clever way of keeping air out. I'll try it.

Assuming that works, the system is really, really great!

Thanks guys!