PDA

View Full Version : Internet security

Brian Deakin
01-16-2019, 7:58 AM
Every year since we first purchased a computer I have purchased McAfee internet protection

In 2 weeks time our current subscription requires renewing

My wife is reluctant to change but does it make sense to purchase another package or are there free alternatives which would provide protection

What would other members do/advise

regards Brian

John Lanciani
01-16-2019, 8:17 AM
Malwarebytes. I've been using the paid version for several years so that I don't have to bother doing manual updates but the free version functions just as well.

michael langman
01-16-2019, 10:00 AM
I second Malewarebytes. Works well for me too.

Jim Becker
01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Malwarebytes is excellent if you want a free/pay-for application. But honestly, on the few Windows instances I have, I just use the Microsoft AV that's already included with the OS.

Doug Garson
01-16-2019, 12:14 PM
I'll be watching this thread, my renewal date is approaching. I've been using Bitdefender for several years, no complaints about the software but 2 years in a row they have messed up my renewal and are very slow to sort it out. I'll be switching to another program this year so maybe I'll try Malwarebytes.

glenn bradley
01-16-2019, 1:07 PM
Malwarebytes is excellent if you want a free/pay-for application. But honestly, on the few Windows instances I have, I just use the Microsoft AV that's already included with the OS.

True. The University system I work for uses Windows 10 Defender, AV and "suggests" Malwarebytes. I have run Win10 security tools plus Malwarebytes for many years without issue. In all fairness I rarely had issues before that with Sophos. So much of your experience with problems stems from your use habits . . . no offense to you folks that ignore all built-in warnings and automatically click "OK" without reading :D:D:D

Peter Kelly
01-20-2019, 1:19 PM
A free and much more secure alternative would be to install Tails (https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html) on a USB drive and browse using only that. Works with most any OS.

Don't waste money on McAfee.

Wade Lippman
01-21-2019, 10:12 AM
The free Malwarebytes only scans; it doesn't screen or anything else.
I've tried all the freebies and don't like them.

Now and then you can get Bitdefender really cheap. I got a 4 year 5 user subscription for like $100.
I love it.

Windows Defender used to be completely useless; not sure if anything has changed.

James Waldron
01-21-2019, 3:52 PM
I use Avast AV free (this year; it changes with test reports from the industry, two years ago it was AVG free), Malwarebytes (free for a long time, switched to paid about a year ago for automatic scanning, updates), and a personal VPN. I also have reconfigured to use OpenDNS rather than my ISP's DNS servers; I don't need them looking over my shoulder. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram. No Google searches if possible; I use DuckDuckGo, which does no tracking. I also have tracker blocker software that blocks by default, but lets me open up for one session on one site. (I'm currently testing uBlock Origin; like it a lot so far.) All this is available for free; I've chosen to pay for the Malwarebytes and the VPN ($35 and $49 per year, respectively) for convenience and additional features of value to me. I run CrapCleaner two or three times a week, to get rid of crud and cookies and flash cookies. My most sensitive files live across an air gap and only get onto my internet connected system as transients, so I know they are safe otherwise and their exposure is very limited.

For those who think I'm paranoid, no one around here but Derek is competent to judge.

Actually, I used to run several small business workplace networks with anywhere from three to forty users. Some had their own servers, some used mine. Following these practices, the only glitches I've ever had stemmed from proven departures from the rules by a user. In every case, damage was limited to a single computer and every one was cleaned and back in service within a couple of hours. My systems have been largely free of spam and no evidence of hackers. No problems at all other than the few bad things invited in by unruly users. (Paid Malwarebytes and/or Avast AV stops most of that sort of thing, but like all software, is isn't quite perfect and once in a while, some user will invite a particularly (usually brand new) nasty thing to sneak in.) I say not bad for a free - for personal use - security suite, particularly when the prices of some of the commercial stuff is compared. And given the security lapses of other commercial systems, I think I've done pretty well.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-21-2019, 9:18 PM
Since switching to Windows 10, I've found Windows Defender to be pretty good, and much less intrusive than anything I've used in the past.

Joyce Knights
01-21-2019, 11:10 PM
I am also using Malwarebytes, it works just fine. It does its job to remove spyware, adware, potentially unwanted programs, and other malicious and annoying software from a Windows computer

Malcolm Schweizer
01-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Isn't "internet security" an oxymoron?