PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor Selection Questions

Mike Deschler
12-03-2005, 8:55 PM
Time to do it right and move up to a quality air compressor. Over and above all normal shop projects requiring an air source, I would like to start doing some sand and bead blasting to restore a couple of old garden tractors and machinery that I have. I also realize that in order to do some blasting I will need to maintain very high air pressure (90# +) and volume and as a result, feel that a two stage pump should fill the bill. Now the question comes down to that of capacity. Can I do what I want by getting a 60 gal 5HP unit or would it run all the time while blasting? I was over at TSC today and looked at an IR 80 gal 5 HP unit and thought it would be a squeeze size wise for my shop. I am considering, not necessarily in this order, the following companies: IR, Quincy, and Champion and have heard that even these guys have different grades of equipment depending upon where you buy them i.e., Tractor Supply vs an actual dealer. Is there any fact to that? I know this is true for the borgs but was wondering if that pertains here also. Cost is a factor but not the driver as performance, quality, reliability, and made in the USA are my main concerns. Hopefully some of your experiences can help me find the best solution. Also, is there a unit that is quieter than the others? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

CPeter James
12-03-2005, 9:08 PM
You are looking in the right direction. I have a IR Type 30 5 hp with an 80 gal tank. I sandblasted my log cabin using 4,000 pounds of Black Beauty grit. It worked hard but kept up. The secret is what you are using for equipment. I have a TIP pressure pot with a carbide nozzle. I forget what size the nozzle is, but it is rather on the smaller side of the scale. I use it from time to time of welding and tractor projects without any problems.

Don't compare HP as that is a joke for the most part unless you have a Baldor or equivalent motor. The lie!!. Compare amp ratings, and actual output at given pressures.

There are different grades, even in the same "types". IR makes many different type 30s. They are NOT the same. Quincy makes a real top end unit with pressurized oiling and a replaceable filter and they make the low en units too. Buy from an air compressor dealer and repair facility. You will pay a little more now, but save in the long run. The saying of "Pay me now, or pay me later" really holds true. This is my 4th of 5th compressor and I finally decided to go big. Never regretted it. Find a place close to your electric panel and run air pipe to where you need it. Air moves better than high load electricity.

CPeter

martyphee
12-03-2005, 9:16 PM
I have the Quincy QTS 60 gallon that I got from HF for $799 deliveried (about $300 less than a dealer I called and the exact same model number). I don't think HF sells them anymore though. The QTS is more of the hobbiest version.
http://www.quincycompressor.com/products/?cat=Products&sub=42&subsub=44

It's about 99% USA made. All cast iron and puts out around 15.5 CFM at 175psi. I don't have any problems running my dynabrade sander with it though I don't think it's rated for 100% duty cycle.

Big actual 5hp blador motor.

It your going to use it a lot I would look at the QT series with an oil pump. Much lower RPM (less noise) and will last forever. My friend has one.

I would be really careful of buying an IR from a box store. The ones I saw at sears were really scary. Quincy and Champion are mainly sold through dealers. Try tip tool. They have good prices and shipping.

Paul B. Cresti
12-03-2005, 9:34 PM
I bought my IR from Northern Tool. It is a type 30, 5hp 60 gal unit. Works well so far. Price was pretty good and I think they have free shipping for time to time.

Bob Johnson2
12-03-2005, 9:51 PM
A sandblaster needs roughly 8 cfm, check for at least that at 90lbs. You can check out a sandblaster of a size you'd be interested in and base it on those numbers. In my opinion the size of the tank is secondary to the cfm, the hp means about nothing.

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Get you an IR compressor, 60 Gallon, upright.....You won't regret it!!!! I've had very poor results with purchasing Campbell Hausfield.....even the Warranty Service dude said that he repairs about 45 CH compressors a month and no more than 9 IR compressors in any given Year..!!!! I made the switch and have been more than happy since. :D :D :D

Dev Emch
12-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Somewhere around the SMC "family album", I have pictures of BIG BLUE. That is my quincy 370 pressure lube pump with a 15 HP motor. Much more than most need but I got it at auction.

The ideal compressor is a quincy pressure lube pump driven by a 5 HP motor with an 80 gallon tank. This is one serious compressor and one that folks upgrade to. Its the first pump in the pressure lube pump series. Dont get the 370 type pump unless you really need to blow some air. I can see the cynics already typing on this one.....:rolleyes:

Mike Deschler
12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Get you an IR compressor, 60 Gallon, upright.....You won't regret it!!!! I've had very poor results with purchasing Campbell Hausfield.....even the Warranty Service dude said that he repairs about 45 CH compressors a month and no more than 9 IR compressors in any given Year..!!!! I made the switch and have been more than happy since. :D :D :D

Dennis,

Thanks to your previous posts and readings of past searches, I've eliminated all the box store options. C.H. was a dead issue even before I started looking. I am currently sitting on a 30gal Coleman/Sanborn that I bought at Menards and wish I never laid eyes on it. It works just fine but not enough capacity for what I want to do. I guess you never have enough air capacity, live and learn!!

tod evans
12-04-2005, 11:02 AM
mike, as the others have allready said you`re on the right track. i don`t think you could go wrong with either a quincy or an ir. i`m running a pair of older emglo 4 cylinder, two stage with 80 gal tanks and they will handle my one man shop. if i manage to kill either of these i`ll be looking at a screw pump. if you need air this may be an option for you? .02 tod

martyphee
12-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Here is my little blue...

http://pheefamily.com/owwm/back2.jpg

Mike Deschler
12-04-2005, 11:41 AM
mike, as the others have allready said you`re on the right track. i don`t think you could go wrong with either a quincy or an ir. i`m running a pair of older emglo 4 cylinder, two stage with 80 gal tanks and they will handle my one man shop. if i manage to kill either of these i`ll be looking at a screw pump. if you need air this may be an option for you? .02 tod

Wow Todd, are you planning on inflating another Hindenberg sometime? I don't foresee that kind of a requirement for my applications.

Mike

tod evans
12-04-2005, 11:51 AM
mike, i use very few electric hand tools, even my jigsaw is pneumatic, so if i`m running the vacuum bag and one other high volume tool i can quickly tap one unit. they`re set so i run one as my main and the other only kicks on when the main can`t keep up. before i got the back-up unit it wasn`t uncommon to have the one pump running for a couple hours straight when i was busy. if you pop for a good compressor and can`t afford the drier like me, shoot me a note and i`ll send you pictures of my hillbilly drier that works for me. tod

Bruce Page
12-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Mike, I went through the same quandary earlier this year when my Speedaire with 20+ years on it died. I went with the IR and have been happy with my decision. You can’t go wrong with the Quincy either. It takes a lot of CFM to push a bead/sand blaster so keep that in mind.

Mike Deschler
12-04-2005, 4:21 PM
Mike, I went through the same quandary earlier this year when my Speedaire with 20+ years on it died. I went with the IR and have been happy with my decision. You can’t go wrong with the Quincy either. It takes a lot of CFM to push a bead/sand blaster so keep that in mind.

Thanks Bruce, I am having a slight problem, I guess it is my engineering background. I too am leaning towards an IR but have noticed that there is different part numbers from both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool than what is shown on IR's web site. This implies to me that they are making a cheaper version for these marketers. Did you go this far in your research and find similar info? My first inclination would be motor manufacturers. I am leaning towards The IR 2 stage 60gal version, which one do you have? The 80 gal tank is just a tad too big for my shop but would go that way if it made a noticeable difference for sandblasting, what is your take do I really need the bigger tank?

Thanks,

Mike

Steve Stube
12-04-2005, 5:55 PM
I agree that there seems to be a numbers game going on when it concerns the IR compressors. I bought an IR compressor at a TSC store on Black Friday TSC # 3496129 but don't find that compressor at other places that carry the IR line. I still don't have it because the sales person noticed a crack in the intercooler line and has ordered that part for it - a new line was due in Thur. but as of Sat. hadn't arrived.

Sandblasting, is normally accomplished at between 80 and 100 psi. and the volume of air available, tip size, and sandblaster type will dictate how long the job takes. I have a 1 qt. cup blast gun that I have used with my 34 year old CH/Sears 1 HP portable to clean small parts or around small holes in autobody work prior to repair. This method requires that I wait for the compressor to catch up every few (like 2 - 4) minutes. Even with a small tip I don't expect the new compressor to keep up but it will be a good compromise short of using my 10 HP 4 cylinder single stage that cranks about 30 CFM @ 135. I'm past doing whole cars I only want to be set up to handle a blast cabinet.

lou sansone
12-04-2005, 6:41 PM
I just bought a 5 hp IR comperssor for my shop at work. real sweet.. Rotary Screw type... only problem is that is was $3600. If you have the space and the $$ it is a nice machine. super quiet 65dBa !

lou

Bruce Page
12-04-2005, 7:27 PM
Thanks Bruce, I am having a slight problem, I guess it is my engineering background. I too am leaning towards an IR but have noticed that there is different part numbers from both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool than what is shown on IR's web site. This implies to me that they are making a cheaper version for these marketers. Did you go this far in your research and find similar info? My first inclination would be motor manufacturers. I am leaning towards The IR 2 stage 60gal version, which one do you have? The 80 gal tank is just a tad too big for my shop but would go that way if it made a noticeable difference for sandblasting, what is your take do I really need the bigger tank?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I actually spent top dollar for a smaller compressor. :eek: I required a specific space for the compressor (where my old Speedaire sat), and the 2hp/30gal IR GarageMate was the only good quality horizontal that I found. I ended up having to special order it from an outfit in California. Here’s my original thread on it. I never inteded to use it for sandblasting so that never entered the equasion.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17659

Neil Bosdet
12-04-2005, 7:55 PM
Mike, in your original post you also asked about quiet units. Here's a tip for any unit you buy. I couldn't believe the noise mine made when I first hooked it up. Much of this was from vibration. I made mine much quieter by mounting the upright compressor on a small wooden platform I whipped up and, here's the catch, I mounted soft hockey pucks in between the wood and the compressor connected with lag bolts. Normal hockey pucks are as hard as rocks but you can find soft rubber ones (about medium density) at most sporting shops. Just drill a hole through and mount them beneath your compressor. Wow, did that ever cut down the vibration and noise.

Neil

Neil Bosdet
12-05-2005, 9:50 AM
I mounted soft hockey pucks in between the wood and the compressor connected with lag bolts.
Oops. I actually mounted my pucks under the wooden platform, directly against the floor. Don't know which way would be best but either way will work well.