PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation on moisture meters

Rajiv Dighe
07-03-2003, 9:58 AM
Since I have just started using air dried lumber, I guess that should be next logical purchase. I can't keep borrowing my friend's meter all the time & neither can I afford the one he has ( delmhorst I believe ). Will the black cylindrical meter that LV has work just fine? I don't really need one of those fancy pinless types.

--Rajiv

Jim Fuller
07-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Can't comment on the others but I like the one I now have. I think it is a 605, don't have it in front of me right now, but does what I ask. I was concerned about trying to go low price and end up with less than what I wanted. FWW ran an article on them, and this helped me make up my mind.

Ken Salisbury
07-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Since I have just started using air dried lumber, I guess that should be next logical purchase. I can't keep borrowing my friend's meter all the time & neither can I afford the one he has ( delmhorst I believe ). Will the black cylindrical meter that LV has work just fine? I don't really need one of those fancy pinless types.

--Rajiv

I have a Mini Ligno which works great. I have compared it's readings with a much more expensive pro model that a friend saw will owner has and it reads the same as his. I bought mine through Amazon.com:
<p align="center">
MiniLigno Moisture Meter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000224D8/qid=1057243863/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-3529242-9758533?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846)

Peter Lyon
07-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I have the miniligno and have been pleased with it so far (about two years). It is a pin-type meter. I believe I paid about $100 from Rockler.

Although, this has got me thinking, it sure would be nice to try and calibrate this off of a known item.

Peter Lyon

Peter Lyon
07-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I have the miniligno and have been pleased with it so far (about two years). It is a pin-type meter. I believe I paid about $100 from Rockler.

Peter Lyon

Ken Ventress
07-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi Rajiv! I bought the LV Timbercheck metre that you're looking at and it works fine.It's a robustly built unit and comes with a spare set of pins, plus the battery(9V). You just have to remember that as the lumber dries, it dries at the ends quickest and to get a true reading, you will need to make a cut down from one end(4"-6") or if you do a rough size cut, you can then measure the MC on the freshly exposed wood. Gives accurate enough readings. You just have to remember to turn it off. See ya around!

Cheers, Ken