PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon's Platter Too

Bruce Jones
01-14-2019, 9:28 PM
"Poseidon's Platter Too"
it's 14 1/2" D X 9 1/2" tall. The center is White Oak the Scalloped edge is segmented Walnut, the Dolphins are also Walnut. This piece needed a base so here's what I came up with. The base turned, cut & carved plus I added three hand carved Sea Horses.

Tom Wilson66
01-14-2019, 9:50 PM
Absolutely gorgeous.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2019, 10:18 PM
Incredibly beautiful!

Bruce Jones
01-15-2019, 5:46 AM
Thank you very much Tom and Ken.

Frederick Skelly
01-15-2019, 6:28 AM
Bruce, that is amazing Sir! I think you've outdone yourself this time.
Fred

daryl moses
01-15-2019, 7:51 AM
Awesome work Bruce, you are a true artist!!

Keith Outten
01-15-2019, 8:59 AM
Absolutely Stunning!!!

John Keeton
01-15-2019, 12:06 PM
The platter itself was excellent, but this combination is a masterpiece! Well done, Bruce! Did you track your time? I can see a lot of hours in this one and plenty of hand sanding.

Bruce Jones
01-15-2019, 12:26 PM
The platter itself was excellent, but this combination is a masterpiece! Well done, Bruce! Did you track your time? I can see a lot of hours in this one and plenty of hand sanding.Thank you very much John;... this base was made since I posted the platter on the 7th, 6 days of turning, cutting, carving, finishing and photography in between the real job.

Bruce Jones
01-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Thank you Fred,Daryl,and Keith for your nice comments They are really appreciated.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2019, 1:29 PM
Fine work indeed! There has been some discussion about making chess sets and the importance of getting the knights right. Your sea horse carvings are top notch and, with just a bit of alteration, would make stunning knights! I know that's a "non sequitur" but carving of this quality is not often seen. And to make several identical pieces like this, well that's even more difficult. Well played...

Bruce Jones
01-16-2019, 4:07 PM
Fine work indeed! There has been some discussion about making chess sets and the importance of getting the knights right. Your sea horse carvings are top notch and, with just a bit of alteration, would make stunning knights! I know that's a "non sequitur" but carving of this quality is not often seen. And to make several identical pieces like this, well that's even more difficult. Well played...Thank you David for the nice complement on the carvings; funny you should mention chess sets I've been contemplating making one it would be a tremendous undertaking because of course you would have to make a board / table. You've got me thinking; making a set in a Neptune (King) underwater theme w/ a Mermaid (Queen) and seahorse knights, squid bishops and some other type fish for the other pieces. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Bruce

William C Rogers
03-01-2019, 3:15 PM
Masterpiece!
Many notches above beautiful.

Bruce Jones
03-01-2019, 4:42 PM
Thank you very much William very nice of you to say; I would also like to thank Kieth Outten for your kind words, I some how missed your post and I think it was you who moved this thread at the top of the page. Thanks again to everyone who took time to comment.