PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Room Cabinets

Adam Carl
01-14-2019, 8:52 PM
Been working on this project for over a year ... it did include a complete gut of the entire room but it still took a while. The inset doors are not perfect but it was great practice for the kitchen cabinets in my near future.

The counter top for the sink is quartersawn oak with an epoxy finish. The plan is to build mud room type cabinets in this room as well.

A few firsts for me during this project:

1) Inset Doors - I had to do a lot of custom fitting, with overlay hinges this is not fun, love the look but the hinges have no margin for error. The looks is amazing but I would limit this to a show piece cabinet or two.
2) Two part Epoxy for the sink counter top, love the durability of this.
3) Sherwin Williams Urethane Enamel (brushed) - French Gray. $90 + a gallon, it was good. I do think BM advance levels better.

Yonak Hawkins
01-15-2019, 12:45 AM
Wow .. those cabinets look great ! The clothes hanging drawer is brilliant. I guess the slats on the top are for things that have to lay flat when drying. That's a lot of work there. Congratulations on a top notch job.

Adam Carl
01-15-2019, 8:23 AM
Thanks Yonak. Yes, you can dry a sweater or something. Pinterest is a great place for ideas.

Jim Becker
01-15-2019, 9:35 AM
I like the whole "feel" of that build. Really well done!!

Adam Carl
01-15-2019, 3:06 PM
Thanks Jim. It is an old Victorian house built late 1800, early 1900s, I am looking for that "old time feel" but want a to add value and functionality to the home.

John TenEyck
01-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Brilliant! I'd say you met both goals.

John

Robert Engel
01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Was that paint what they call Kem Aqua?

bruce buren
01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
WOW! very nice build and functional as well!

John TenEyck
01-16-2019, 6:01 PM
Was that paint what they call Kem Aqua?

I think this is what the OP used: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/emerald-urethane-trim-enamel

If so, it's definitely not the same as Kem Aqua Enamel: https://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/wood/pigmented-wood-finishes/water/kem-aqua-bp-enamel/

John

Adam Carl
01-16-2019, 9:09 PM
Yes it was the first Sherwin Williams paint link, Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. I selected Semi Gloss based but it is more like a Satin.

Emerald Urethane Trim EnamelEmerald Urethane Trim EnamelEmerald Urethane Trim Enamel

Adam Carl
01-16-2019, 9:10 PM
Thanks John!

brian zawatsky
01-16-2019, 9:51 PM
Very nice, clean lines. Great design. Surface mount hinges are tough to work with. I’m planning on craftsman style inset doors for my kitchen cabinets when I get around to doing them, but I will most likely use a non-mortise hinge in an attempt to keep my sanity intact.

John Goodin
01-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Very impressive. Equally impressive is that after all that time and tedious work you still want to tackle the kitchen. What was your experience with the paint process? I am waffling between building and buying my wife cabinets for her office space. The deciding factor is the painting. Finishing is not my forte.

Adam Carl
01-18-2019, 4:39 PM
For the kitchen and remaining mud room lockers I am going with a 35 mm hinges. The adjustment for an inset door is awesome!

Adam Carl
01-18-2019, 4:49 PM
Very impressive. Equally impressive is that after all that time and tedious work you still want to tackle the kitchen. What was your experience with the paint process? I am waffling between building and buying my wife cabinets for her office space. The deciding factor is the painting. Finishing is not my forte.

My experience was a tedious process but much of that was due to the size of the project and the surface mount hinges. Everything had to be removed to prime and paint. I wanted to go the spray route but the fact that I had to peck away at this project made hand brushing more practical.

I am going to try and add finishing into my build process. For example clear coat a sheet of plywood before cutting and assembling the boxes. (cabinet insides) or painting the face frames before attaching to the cabinets. The urge to just build seems to always take over.

I always try and use an oil based primer and never cheap out of the paint choice. Cheap paint dries to fast from my experience and never looks good.

John TenEyck
01-18-2019, 7:16 PM
The same can be said for Blum Tandem Blu Motion drawer slides when you use their 3 way adjustable locking device. They make installing inset drawers much simpler. Highly recommended.

John