PDA

View Full Version : Blade Recommendation

Rudy Fuselier
12-03-2005, 7:01 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger a few days ago on the ez smart system and have bought the PC mag325 to go along with it. My question is--- What is the best blade to put on the saw to get smooth cuts in most plywoood. I've been told that Freud is good but I am not sure which blade to get. Thanks in advance.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2005, 7:32 PM
Rudy I have a friend of mine that told me to use a 80 tooth blade in mine for plywood, particle board or MDF. He builds house and builds a lot of cabinets out of plywood. He told me I could use 60 tooth and probably get by. I have watched him saw with his 80T and it is smooth.

Don Bergren
12-03-2005, 8:49 PM
I went with the Freud Diablo blade that was recommended for use with the EZ Smart Guide. It worked great and the cuts were smooth. I've heard that Home Depot carries them, but I've never been to the Home Depot that's here. My blade came from Tools Plus and it was $14.99 but performed like a much more expensive blade. I'd say the secret is that the EZ Smart base has the anti-chip insert that prevents the normal chipout problems.

If I were to do it over again I'd still buy the same blade. I think you'll be happy with it.

Gary Herrmann
12-03-2005, 9:28 PM
After I did a project for my uncle, he bought me a Forrest Duraline AT cc blade that Christmas. This was before I had my EZ smart. I've since used them together and the edge is remarkable - smooth as glass. I've heard that you can get a smooth edge with other blades, but I always put the AT on when cutting hardwood ply.

Burt Waddell
12-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Rudy,

You might want to send dino an email and ask for his free kit to up grade duct collection on the mag. It is about as close to 100% as you are going to get. Here are a couple of links that you should find interesting.

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/the-best-dust-collection-system (http://eurekazone.com/gallery/the-best-dust-collection-system)

http://eurekazone.com/gallery/smart-base-instructions

</XBODY><!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- END TOC --><FORM name=showLetter2 action=/ym/ShowLetter?Idx=2&Search=&YY=98551&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b method=post> </FORM>

tod evans
12-04-2005, 11:16 AM
if a saw blade is sold at the "box-stores" it is not the best blade you can get. whatever you do for a blade please do yourself a favor and do not get a "thin-kerf" blade the heavier plates make for a smoother cut. .02 tod

John Hemenway
12-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I also use the Frued Diablo (40T). It works great and I get no chipout on rip or crosscuts in cheap BORG maple/oak/birch ply.

Got mine at the BORG for about $14/each.

Dino Makropoulos
12-04-2005, 9:26 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger a few days ago on the ez smart system and have bought the PC mag325 to go along with it. My question is--- What is the best blade to put on the saw to get smooth cuts in most plywoood. I've been told that Freud is good but I am not sure which blade to get. Thanks in advance.

The thin kerf blades remove less materials and the cut is easy.
Better for your saw and the operator. 1/2 the dust and chips. less force to move the saw. The chipping is under control by the antichip inserts and edges.
We're developing/testing 2 new saw blades for the system to find the right balance and kerf for both, ply and hardwoods.
The goal is to have one
blade for ply and one for solid wood of the same kerf so we can keep
the bidirectional feature of the rail, the zero positioning or the zero antichip.
Good luck.

Peter Pedisich
12-04-2005, 9:37 PM
Randy,

I purchased a 60T Oldham 7-1/4" for my Bosch CS and it has cut birch ply in 1/2" & 3/4" as well as 5/4 mahogany with excellent results in all. It was about $13.
Only trouble it has is with luan, but that's luan for you.

By the way, I dont have an EZ guide, but if it cuts this well without imagine how well it would do with the EZ base w/anti-chip inserts.

Pete

Burt Waddell
12-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Peter,
Put a smart base on your saw and install an ac-1 insert. There won't be any tearout on the laun either. It sure surprised me the first time I cross cut laun with it.

Todd Franks
12-04-2005, 10:24 PM
My experiences aren't with the EZ smart, just a cheap aluminum straightedge. After struggling with a stamped steel "plywood" blade from the borg, I bought a 60T Duraline HI-AT from Forrest. I had problems with paying that much for a circular saw blade, but it definitely works perfect with no chip out. There are probably blades out there just as good at lower prices, but I went with Forrest because of prior experience with them.

-Todd

Jim Bell
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Forrest.

Jim

Rudy Fuselier
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks to all who have responded. I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

Rudy

Charles McCracken
12-05-2005, 5:13 PM
Rudy,

The item number for the Freud blade that was mentioned above is D0740 and it is a thin kerf (0.059").

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.