PDA

View Full Version : creekers get together in CT

lou sansone
12-03-2005, 5:50 PM
well a few of us got together to saw up some nice spalted hickory and other good looking wood. Mike Cutler invited a few folks over to help with the work. Andy Hoyt did all the work and we just watched. He works gooood and we did a real good job of watching him work :D :D. The observers are show in the photo.. Left to right Mike Cutler, Lou Sansone, Andy Hoyt ( playing with a tripod dog ) and Syd Lorandeau.

Mike also gave us a very informative tour of his nice rikon band saw. The piece of wood that syd is holding is from that saw. I have to say that the rikon looks like a pretty decent machine and the proof is in the cut.

good time was had by all

lou

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 6:04 PM
Interesting looking crew...;)

'Glad you all had a nice time. These get-togethers, even if small, are wonderful things. Highly recommended!

Rob Russell
12-03-2005, 6:24 PM
Sorry I couldn't make to the party. I took yesterday off to finish some outdoor stuff before the snow flies. I will say that it involves wood too and that I've been taking pictures ... separate post coming ;).

I got a message from Andy saying that his truck was overloaded and he was heading straight back home. That's OK - the birch logs are still here. I can always split them for firewood if they don't go anywhere.

Rob

David Fried
12-03-2005, 6:45 PM
I couldn't make it either. Trying to get some more roofing done before the roofing season is over. I was really looking forward to it too.

Mike Cutler
12-03-2005, 7:59 PM
Yup.. Andy did a mighty fine job with that chainsaw. Anyone interseted in a new lighter model chainsaw should ask him about it. Some type of a Stihl, nice saw.
It was nice to meet some folks from the 'creek. Talked about all kinds of things, mostly wood,and machine type subject.
Syd and Andy gave us a short primer on turning. Sounds like a lot of fun, and a big shavings pile too.
Andy's trailer was pretty much loaded down. Hope they didn't flag him into a weigh station going back to Maine.:eek: ;)
We met Syd's wife also, very nice lady you have there Syd. It was a real pleasure meeting her.

David. No worries mate. We left the heaviest log for you:D :D

Rob. We should definitely try to get some folks together when we don't have to worry about snow, and gutters freezing, and all of the other New England traditions that go with the onset of winter.

Corey Hallagan
12-03-2005, 8:06 PM
Great photo Lou, looks like a good time in CT!

Corey

Mark Singer
12-03-2005, 8:26 PM
Yup...Creekers alright up to wood stuff! Lookin' good guys!

Andy Hoyt
12-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike - You are one generous dude. On the trip home I began to feel a bit guilty for taking it off your hands; so I pulled in to Dunkin Donuts and the bad vibe went away:D. One tank of gas and five hours to get to your door. Two tanks and eight hours to get home. Trust me, doing 50/55 on the superslab is scary! Arrived home without incident.

I have a lot of prep wprk ahead of me as I work through this pile of stuff and I'm looking forward to it. And one of these days I promise that one or two of those chunks will make a return trip to Griswold.

Was nice to meet Lou and Syd as well. And tons of fun to talk shop stuff, and gossip about all those other Creekers.:eek:

Hey! You guys should see Lou's lumber hauler. Sweet!

Okay, time to go make nice with the family.

John Hart
12-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a great trip. How come I don't get to have fun like that?:(

Bruce Page
12-04-2005, 2:18 AM
It looks like a good time. Lou, you’re a lot younger than I had envisioned.

John Bailey
12-04-2005, 6:36 AM
Bruce,

You're right, Lou looks younger than his machines. Anyway, I think the dog's the best lookin' one of the bunch.

Tell me that's a house and not a shop in the background, please tell me that!

John

Dick Aubochon
12-04-2005, 6:55 AM
Mike - You are one generous dude. On the trip home I began to feel a bit guilty for taking it off your hands; so I pulled in to Dunkin Donuts and the bad vibe went away:D. One tank of gas and five hours to get to your door. Two tanks and eight hours to get home. Trust me, doing 50/55 on the superslab is scary! Arrived home without incident.

I have a lot of prep wprk ahead of me as I work through this pile of stuff and I'm looking forward to it. And one of these days I promise that one or two of those chunks will make a return trip to Griswold.

Was nice to meet Lou and Syd as well. And tons of fun to talk shop stuff, and gossip about all those other Creekers.:eek:

Hey! You guys should see Lou's lumber hauler. Sweet!

Okay, time to go make nice with the family.

Hi Andy, I'm not to far away from you, over here in Camden. Right now I'm living here on the weekends, and in Mass during the week. I'll be moving up here full time in February.

Frank Pellow
12-04-2005, 7:27 AM
I couldn't make it either. Trying to get some more roofing done before the roofing season is over. I was really looking forward to it too.
I am surprised that it is still roofing season in Connecticut.

It looks like a good gathering that you missed.

Mike Cutler
12-04-2005, 7:46 AM
Bruce,

You're right, Lou looks younger than his machines. Anyway, I think the dog's the best lookin' one of the bunch.

Tell me that's a house and not a shop in the background, please tell me that!

John

Hmmm.... Since everything I've made goes into that structure. Lets just call it my "Finishing room(s)":D :D :rolleyes:

John Renzetti
12-04-2005, 8:14 AM
Hi Lou, I always like seeing pictures of the people who post here. Nice to put a face with a name and a voice. I always thought you were a lot older, like me. :)
take care,
John

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 8:45 AM
Hi Andy, I'm not to far away from you, over here in Camden. Right now I'm living here on the weekends, and in Mass during the week. I'll be moving up here full time in February.

Hey, Dick. Camden is a real pretty place. I lived there for a few months once and quickly learned all side streets - an essential thing during the high tourist season. Come on over some time.

lou sansone
12-04-2005, 12:41 PM
hey guys.. I am old (48), but feel much younger ( much more like 47 :) ). I had asked mike's wife Lee to take our picture and press the "have more hair enhancement button" on the digital camera. I think it worked for the rest of the guys, but my hair is definitely headed south of the border.

I am suprised that no one asked what a "tripod dog" is.

lou

tod evans
12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
man! i`m glad i`m not the only one with a three inch part! :) tod

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 6:45 PM
I got a couple of PMs about the chainsaw so I figured I'd save y'all the hassle by posting the info. Here's the thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24815) from way back whenever that resulted in my purchase. And here's a picture that Syd Lorandeau took yesterday of me with my Stihl MS 250

And here's another Syd shot. I think if I break out a micrometer, I might learn that while Mr. Cutler does indeed have more hair volume than Mr. Sansone it it coming from less scalp related real estate:D

John Bailey
12-04-2005, 6:56 PM
Hey Lou,

Show a little sympathy here, 48 is young to a lot of us.

John

Bruce Page
12-04-2005, 7:07 PM
Hey Lou,

Show a little sympathy here, 48 is young to a lot of us.

John
Amen to that!