PDA

View Full Version : Hackerspace, Makerspace, Community Workshops...Anyone belong to one?

David Ruhland
01-13-2019, 4:43 PM
For those of you that have been following my post in the CnC forum, i have been in research mode! Last week when i was a Woodcraft store a gentleman gave me a flyer to a "membership community workshop" I guess i am old cause i didn't know these things exist. Basically for 50 bucks you have access to the shop and tools. I would think this would be a great way to play with a CnC before i buy one...Any of you folks belong to one of these community workshops? They have a free "public tours" night on Mondays and Fridays in my area, I may just go check it out....

D

Lee Schierer
01-13-2019, 5:24 PM
Is that $50 per day, week, month or year? I used to use wood shops on the Naval base and they worked out pretty well.

The problems that arise:
1. when you need to use a tool and someone else is using it and your work comes to a halt.
2. Storage of your materials and partially completed projects can be a problem or you have to haul stuff home after each session.
3. Not everyone who uses the tools will respect them and you may have to deal with dull or damaged cutters.
4. You may or may not be allowed to bring in your own tools.
5. Some places charge for machine use

David Ruhland
01-13-2019, 5:54 PM
50 per month... 24/7 access after "training"