PDA

View Full Version : Any one have some tips about unloading new Sawstop?

Rick Hubbard
01-13-2019, 1:08 PM
Our new Sawstop is ready to pickup at the dealer. They will load it in the back of my pickup with their forklift, but unloading it at the shop is giving me heartburn.

Does anyone have an idea how to safely unload a 400 Pound saw?

Thanks

Patrick Walsh
01-13-2019, 1:23 PM
Easy.

A ramp.

Make the ramp as long as you can.

Take three 8’ 2x4’s on edge make a box. Now sheath it.

If you can park so you are unloading onto a lawn. Prop one end of ramp up on bumper. Drive stakes into the lawn at base of ramp so it can’t kick out. Get a couple half sheets of plywood to put on lawn at end of ramp and a couple pipes. Shuffle plywood rolling machine on clamps till you get to a solid surface.

To be honest you do t even need pipes. The machine is not that heavy. You can man handle it walking on corner a bit then the other back and forth.

I remeber moving my first large machine. I also thought a 500lb sawstop was large. I know understand it really isn’t. It’s a very easy solo move unless you are injured or I suppose older.

Nick Decker
01-13-2019, 1:28 PM
Others will have some tips about unloading. I will throw this in: During assembly, check the alignment of the blade to the miter slot BEFORE attaching the cast iron wings to the main body. It probably will be fine from the factory (mine was), but if it does need tweaking it's easier to do it without the wings on. Also, if it appears to need adjustment, put on a different blade to confirm that before adjusting. Hope that helps, and congrats on the new saw!

Bob Falk
01-13-2019, 1:36 PM
I rented a low deck U-haul trailer and it was much easier and safer than trying to unload something so heavy and awkward from a pickup bed.

Peter Christensen
01-13-2019, 2:03 PM
Can you back into your shop? If so can you attach a chain hoist to a beam in the ceiling? Or make a frame for one?

I have a hydraulic engine crane that I used extensively with my old import pickup but the new trucks are all way too high to do that anymore. Works well with the trailer though.

Neighbour has a skid steer with forks. Got one of those?

ChrisA Edwards
01-13-2019, 2:23 PM
I assume it's not assembled, so you can unload many of the pieces, rails, fence, extensions, etc., as these are all packaged separately.

Personally, if you don't have one, I'd rent a small flatbed trailer with a fold down tailgate. Home Depot rents these as does UHaul.

Mike Kees
01-13-2019, 2:52 PM
Phone a guy with a Bobcat and forks. I am fortunate enough to own one and use it for moving and unloading machinery all the time.

scott kinninger
01-13-2019, 3:36 PM
You can do almost everything by yourself. The only time I needed help was with the main body, I had two friends come over and we slid it (in the box) off the tailgate onto the garage floor using some 10ft long 2x10 as ramp. Then we lifted in into the mobile base. I think I needed their help for 15 or 20 mins.

Ray Newman
01-13-2019, 3:54 PM
Bob Falk and Nick Decker have the right idea.

Or, you could rent a pick up with a lift.

Darcy Warner
01-13-2019, 4:06 PM
Call a buddy or two, 500 pounds really isn't heavy. I just unhooked a motor that weighed 425 pounds.

Jim Andrew
01-13-2019, 4:11 PM
I built a tilt bed lawnmower trailer, also use it to move my atv. Hauled my Hammer K3 Winner home and unloaded it in my shop with that trailer and my old Toyota pickup. By myself.

Doug Dawson
01-13-2019, 4:44 PM
Our new Sawstop is ready to pickup at the dealer. They will load it in the back of my pickup with their forklift, but unloading it at the shop is giving me heartburn.

Does anyone have an idea how to safely unload a 400 Pound saw?

For a hundred bucks my dealer dropped it off in my shop, exactly where I wanted it. That was easy. BTW, get the Industrial Mobile Base, it's easiest to assemble the saw onto that now than doing it later.

Lee Schierer
01-13-2019, 5:03 PM
With the investment you have in the saw, spending an additions $20 for a one day local trailer rental from U-Haul would be a wise investment.

Kevin Jenness
01-13-2019, 6:22 PM
If you have to do it yourself, lay the saw down on a blanket in the truck bed with the top facing the cab and strap it down. To unload, slide it back until the top is almost at the edge of the tailgate then pivot the base down to the floor or a dolly. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself and can get the dealer to deliver it for a reasonable fee, let them take the responsibility. You can definitely horse around a saw that size by yourself, just be aware it is top-heavy when upright. If you do transport it upright be certain it is strapped securely.

Cliff Polubinsky
01-13-2019, 6:38 PM
Rick,

Here's what the store told me when I bought my Sawstop. Get 2 2x12s and place them in the back of the truck. Have the store put the saw box on the boards lying flat nearest to the cab. When you get home, pull the boards out until the saw is at the edge of the bed, then push the ends of the boards down. The saw will slide down to the ground then you can tip it upright. It works really well.

Enjoy your new saw. It's a great machine.

Cliff

Bob Bouis
01-13-2019, 7:04 PM
3-4 reasonably healthy men can lift a cabinet saw out of the back of a pickup truck pretty easily.

Frank Pratt
01-13-2019, 7:28 PM
I don't remember just what mechanism I used to unload it, probably a ramp, but I did it myself & it was not difficult. Don't even open the box until you get it unloaded & in your shop. There is an order & a system to unpacking & assembling this saw. Follow it to the letter & things will go very well. Don't, & they will not go nearly as well.

The suggestion to check blade alignment before installing the extension wings is a very good one. Mine was dead on from the factory though. Enjoy!

John Goodin
01-13-2019, 8:26 PM
A Uhaul can be rented for less than 40 bucks. A bum back is not really compatible with wood working.

Ben Grefe
01-13-2019, 8:32 PM
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438.html?cid=paid_google_pla_main_newproducts_he avy_60438&gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJa4yuwLarhro65E6Y9f1 fN41wi0JWQRm3kTAo2E_MqGW40ejrhRO5xoC-P0QAvD_BwE

I don’t own one of these, but they’re great for this type of work.

I had Woodcraft load my sawstop into the back of my BMW X5 with a fork lift. They all laughed at me, but my neighbor and I were able to get it out without breaking a sweat. Basically just tipped it onto the ground then dragged it into my shop. It’s really not that hard.

jay czaja
01-13-2019, 8:52 PM
If it's in the original packaging, the main table will be on it's side, FWIW..

Wayne Cannon
01-14-2019, 2:03 AM
I would rent a pick-up with a lift-gate. Home Depot rents a 2 1/2 ton truck with a lift gate very inexpensively -- less than all but the cheapest U-Haul truck.

Brian W Evans
01-14-2019, 6:23 AM
Plenty of ways to skin this cat...

I have the hydraulic table cart that Ben mentioned, and that's how I'd do it. That thing is very handy and can slide under a table or workbench for storage.

I rented the UHaul trailer Lee posted a picture of when I picked up my Minimax slider (1200 lbs +/-), which I unloaded by myself with a come-along.

This is definitely doable but it's worth a few bucks to be safe.

Greg Parrish
01-14-2019, 6:58 AM
Thats the trailer I rented to pick up my Powermatic when buying it. The mobile base was able to roll right up the gate with just a few assists from a small pry bar getting over the initial lip.

With the investment you have in the saw, spending an additions $20 for a one day local trailer rental from U-Haul would be a wise investment.

glenn bradley
01-14-2019, 8:06 AM
I had Woodcraft load my sawstop into the back of my BMW X5 with a fork lift. They all laughed at me, but my neighbor and I were able to get it out without breaking a sweat. Basically just tipped it onto the ground then dragged it into my shop. It’s really not that hard.

This is what I did. Just tilted it out the back of my Tacoma onto a dolly.

Charles P. Wright
01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
I brought the 3hp PCS home in my pickup. The rails and table are separate boxes. The rails are actually fairly heavy, so you're taking some weight out there. The saw box itself is not so bad. My BIL and I man handled it onto a hand truck and down 2x12 ramps. Home depot sells kits that let you make a ramp out of the 2x12 and lay them on your truck bed. After getting it off the truck, we just used plywood leapfrogging over the lawn into the walk out basement.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reese-12-in-Ramp-Top-Kit-2-Pack-9517100/206527507

They come in useful for all kinds of things.

matt romanowski
01-14-2019, 11:35 AM
I just did this and hired 2 guys to move it to my basement :)

But, in the back of the truck, open the box and take the pieces out. Those are pretty heavy and will only leave you with the cabinet to move out. 2 guys can move that without too much trouble.

Tim Janssen
01-14-2019, 11:07 PM
It's not a big deal. Mine came un-assembled on a skid. The heaviest and biggest piece was the saw itself. Using a 2 wheel dolly, my son in law and I got it down into the basement where I assembled it. Wow just realize that was 9 years ago already.
Enjoy your new toy,

Tim

jeff shanz
01-15-2019, 2:04 PM
I would rent a pick-up with a lift-gate. Home Depot rents a 2 1/2 ton truck with a lift gate very inexpensively -- less than all but the cheapest U-Haul truck.

This might be a location thing. St. Louis, MO, Home Depot doesn't have a lift gate vehicle that I could find. They have some flatbed trucks and some trailers but none with electronic lift gates.

Lane Hardy
01-18-2019, 3:26 AM
I could not resist! Deliver it to my house I will get it off your truck! Seriously, I needed to move my table saw and rented a trailer form u haul, the trailer had a gate that folded down to the ground and was a ramp.
i was able to slid the saw off the trailer by my self.

Jim Dwight
01-18-2019, 7:26 AM
This may be too late to be useful but I bought a SawStop late last year and brought it home in my little Harbor Freight trailer. I pulled the trailer with my convertible. Practically any car can handle less than 1000 lbs of a trailer and saw. I do not want a saw height of 34 inches so I built a mobile base to lift it up to 38+ inches where my old saw was. I brought all the pieces into the shop after backing the trailer in. I tilted the saw from the trailer onto the mobile base. Wasn't bad at all. I had to modify the base but I walked the saw off the base onto the pallet it came on.

My backup plan was to call my son and have him bring his engine hoist. But I didn't need to do that, my plan worked fine.

If you really want to do it yourself, I think a trailer will be worth the small additional expense. Or more people. A ramp would probably work but adds several ways for things to go wrong (saw slide off the ramp, ramp slide off the truck). I didn't need a ramp on the trailer but I could take the back off so I didn't have to lift the saw. You do not want to lift it if you don't have to.

Since there was a comment on age, I will mention I am 63. Some of us "old guys" are pretty capable.