PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Horse dolly

Kevin Jenness
01-13-2019, 9:27 AM
In a recent thread about sliding table saws James Zhu included this link https://www.thecrazyhorsedolly.com/videos.html which got my attention. I ordered a kit and some casters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PKXDX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This the result401088

This is going to be a real back-saver and make getting material from my vertical storage rack onto the saw and cnc router far easier than before. The sticky rubber dome at the top of the jig makes the vertical to horizontal moves a breeze with no twisting, and you never lift more than half the sheet at a time. If you watch the section in the second video starting at about 4:06 you will see how easy it is to use the sheets's weight to get it where you want it ju-jitsu fashion. You need enough room to swing a small cat, but I am in 1000 sq ft with large stationary machines and it works for me.

I made a couple of modifications to the plans. The kit is designed around stem casters, and in order to keep the same centers with the plate casters I got I widened the base by a couple of inches. I also made a couple of cutouts, added a ledger and modified two of the plywood braces to facilitate using the thing as an a-frame cart. I need to add some friction strips there as well.

Check it out.

Frederick Skelly
01-13-2019, 9:38 AM
Good video. I can see how that would be a lot of help for folks who need it. It's definitely a clever idea.
Any idea how durable the "sticky rubber dome" is, and how to replace it downstream if you need to?
Fred

Jim Becker
01-13-2019, 9:43 AM
That thing caught my eye awhile ago...it's a really nice design that's uber-functional. I wish I could use something like that in my shop, but I just don't have the space to leverage any kind of material handling cart including this one. Sadly...

ChrisA Edwards
01-13-2019, 10:17 AM
I love the idea also, I bookmarked the website. I could use it, but I'm more concerned about storage when it's not in use, so I'm thinking about a base that could fold fairly flat for storage.

Joe Calhoon
01-13-2019, 10:26 AM
I’ve been looking at those for a while Kevin. Do you think it would handle a 150 to 200lb door? Working by myself taking a door out of the vertical frame press on to a cart horizontally can be a challenge.

Justin Ludwig
01-13-2019, 10:48 AM
I’ve been looking at those for a while Kevin. Do you think it would handle a 150 to 200lb door? Working by myself taking a door out of the vertical frame press on to a cart horizontally can be a challenge.

Easily. I just built one and it's amazing. You'll be handling the door with care while on the dolly and most likely the dolly won't be holding 100% of the weight because you have to balance it.

Took me an hour to make, but I was co-piddling with other stuff.

Mike Kees
01-13-2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks for this post. I will definitely be buying the kit to make one of these.

Kevin Jenness
01-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Joe,

I don't see why not. The 6 casters I used are rated at 250 #, the base is quite solid with the braces screwed to a 27" wide hexagon (I used 1" material) and the height adjusting knob is pretty well engaged with the 3/4" threaded rod. Assuming your frame press is high enough you could roll sideways onto the crazy horse, otherwise you might have to stand it on end first. I like building doors, but they are definitely a challenge working alone. You might shoot Larry Lee, the inventor, an email through his website- he has been quite responsive to me.

Frederick,

I can't comment on durability of the rubber, but it seems rugged enough. Again, contact Larry. I assume he would be able to replace the threaded rod/ rubber dome unit.

Joe Calhoon
01-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Justin and Kevin. I think I will give it a try.

Ray Newman
01-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Interesting idea.

I did notice that his shop floor was really clean as opposed to mine which always seems to have some small wood chips, cut offs, etc., that can interfere casters on carts, dollies, etc. Since I work from a wheelchair, I really try to sweep up/remove chips, small cut offs, etc., from the floor. Have the feeling that if you can't keep the floor clean, it may not work so well. I would not want to move a 3/4"x4x8' plywood sheet and have the casters hang up/stop because of debris on the floor.

Matt Day
01-13-2019, 1:09 PM
Very clever idea for those with large enough shops.

Jim Becker
01-13-2019, 4:29 PM
I did notice that his shop floor was really clean as opposed to mine which always seems to have some small wood chips, cut offs, etc., that can interfere casters on carts, dollies, etc. Since I work from a wheelchair, I really try to sweep up/remove chips, small cut offs, etc., from the floor. Have the feeling that if you can't keep the floor clean, it may not work so well. I would not want to move a 3/4"x4x8' plywood sheet and have the casters hang up/stop because of debris on the floor.

This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast...

Like you, I also try to keep debris either picked up or pushed off to the side until I have a break to do things properly.

peter gagliardi
01-13-2019, 5:32 PM
Looks like a back saver for sure. What is the footprint size on that?

Justin Ludwig
01-13-2019, 5:46 PM
Looks like a back saver for sure. What is the footprint size on that?

The base is 25x30 cut as a polygonal hexagon (4 equal and 2 equal sides). Casters are inset 1" off of each point. Vertical supports are 11.5 x 14.5 and the top is an 8" diameter circle. I haven't checked the max height, but it's easily over my 34" TS and 38" chop saw stations.

Justin Ludwig
01-13-2019, 5:51 PM
I'm assembling a houseful of cabinets all week so I haven't go to use it extensively, but I'm hoping it will make breaking down sheets on the TS much easier - like a quasi-slider-apparatus. Even tho I have a 12' panel saw, my help still uses the TS to breakdown the sheets he works with (the weirdo).

marlin adams
01-13-2019, 6:07 PM
This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast...

Like you, I also try to keep debris either picked up or pushed off to the side until I have a break to do things properly.

Interesting idea.

Maybe larger casters?

Justin Ludwig
01-13-2019, 7:04 PM
Law of diminishing returns. It will become "tipsy". A broom is a cheaper option.

peter gagliardi
01-13-2019, 9:21 PM
Thanks for that info. Looks like it doubles as an excellent rolling slider outrigger support.
I am tempted.

Ray Newman
01-13-2019, 10:21 PM
"This is a good point but applies to pretty much any material handling solution with wheels/casters. Nature of the beast..."
--Jim Becker.

True and that's why I have a 2x3' cart with a flat top to move sheet goods. The cart top keeps the load balanced if/when the caster(s) hang up in shop debris. I just cannot imagine trying to balance a sheet of 3/4" ply on that small top if/when the wheels on the Crazy Horse hang up.

Kevin Jenness
01-14-2019, 7:35 AM
clear floor=no problem

richard poitras
01-14-2019, 8:32 PM
Here is a how to video for those that are interested in building one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adS3abjSKk

Ted Phillips
01-16-2019, 9:44 AM
<Insert Neil Young joke here>

lowell holmes
01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Growing up in Indian territory, I immediately thought of Chief Crazy Horse.

Oh well :)

Joe Calhoon
01-25-2019, 8:08 PM
My Crazy Horse arrived today. I used it to take a stack of White oak doors leaning vertical against a wall and put them on a cart. It works amazingly well and I can see all kinds of tasks for this. The rubber ball grips well and doesn’t seem to mar finish wood. I think this will work well for wide belt sanding heavy doors when by myself along with other things!

The best ideas are always simple!

Kevin Jenness
01-25-2019, 8:21 PM
I just used mine seriously for the first time yesterday- man, I wish I had one 20 years ago. Cuts the work in half for panel handling.

Joe Calhoon
01-25-2019, 8:28 PM
Our backs would be in better shape Kevin!

Joe Calhoon
01-28-2019, 9:47 PM
Cut a arch top door on the bandsaw today. Worked about as well as someone holding the other end. Did a door through the WBS picking off the cart and starting through the machine was easy. Kept the dolly about 1” lower than the sander feed mat and just lifted up on the end of the door a bit.

What makes this work so well is the soft rubber dome really grips whatever you lay on top.

Peter Rawlings
01-28-2019, 10:41 PM
My shop isn't huge, but it was sometimes a struggle to get things up onto TS from standing storage position, particularly MDF or particle board. Then came 5x8 CNC and I knew it was time to pull the trigger on this thing. Happy I did. A short learning curve judging center of panel tipping down onto Horse so balance is close to neutral.

I took some liberties with design to learn more about new CNC and nesting, also about bringing Sketchup model into V Carve, none of which I'd ever done. Kinda space age looking, don't you think?

richard poitras
01-28-2019, 11:15 PM
Peter, Can you show and describe the metal studs you used on the base to hold sheet goods vertically? (I believe that’s what they are used for).
Thanks Richard

Peter Rawlings
01-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Peter, Can you show and describe the metal studs you used on the base to hold sheet goods vertically? (I believe that’s what they are used for).
Thanks Richard

Perhaps this will be mo' betta. Not as complex as it might look. Stud mount casters, coupling nut like you'd use on all-thread with some 3/4" vinyl hose pushed over it.

And by the way, If someone wants the Sketchup or V Carve file, I'm happy to share with the caveat that if there's something goofy, well, you have something goofy!

Jim Becker
01-29-2019, 8:47 AM
Nicely executed, Peter!

richard poitras
01-30-2019, 7:20 AM
Thanks Peter for the update.

Richard

richard poitras
01-30-2019, 2:37 PM
What size wheels are you guys using and were did you get them?

Thanks Richard

Kevin Jenness
01-30-2019, 2:52 PM
I used 3" polyurethane plate casters from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PKXDX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Larry recommends no more than 4". Stem casters allow for mounting closer to the corners and I would use them next time. I increased the base size to maintain the designed center locations.

Peter Rawlings
01-30-2019, 4:17 PM
What size wheels are you guys using and were did you get them?

Thanks Richard

https://shop.servicecaster.com/4inch-Total-Lock-Caster-poly-wheel-bolt-hole-p/scc-bhttl20s414-ppub-m.htm

I supplied mounting bolts.

richard poitras
01-31-2019, 3:21 PM
Thanks guys :)

peter gagliardi
01-31-2019, 8:46 PM
Well, I caved today, and ordered the kit and some casters. Can’t wait to lighten the load so to speak.

Bradley Gray
02-01-2019, 9:22 AM
So, my shop floor is kind of rough - reused t&g boxcar flooring. Any thoughts on how this little guy would work?

I know my back wants one.

richard poitras
02-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Well, I caved today, and ordered the kit and some casters. Can’t wait to lighten the load so to speak.

Peter, did you buy the casters from Crazy Horse?

Jim Becker
02-01-2019, 1:52 PM
So, my shop floor is kind of rough - reused t&g boxcar flooring. Any thoughts on how this little guy would work?

I know my back wants one.

It may work out fine if you go with larger, heavy duty casters that will negotiate the rougher surface.

peter gagliardi
02-01-2019, 7:57 PM
Peter, did you buy the casters from Crazy Horse?

No, I ordered from the link Peter Rawlings showed.

Peter Rawlings
02-02-2019, 7:54 PM
Hi Y'all.

I'm not sure how much I'll actually use the schlepping functionality, but built it in...just in case, you know :) I've been keeping an eye out for something kinda grippy for the slot. Was in Harbor Freight, (I know, I know), and found these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/self-adhesive-rubber-safety-step-tread-98856.html

Sliced off a couple of pieces and Bob's yer uncle. Cheap too. And it has that Harbor Freight rubbery odor to boot...lucky me!