PDA

View Full Version : Machine diversity

Charlie Jones
01-12-2019, 11:00 PM
I was looking around the shop today and realized that most of my machines are different brands. I have a Unisaw, Woodtek jointer, Grizzly planer, Laguna bandsaw, Delta lathe, Rikon belt disc sander, Supermax drum sander, Rockwell drill press well as routers and small power tools from Dewalt, Craftsman, Bosch and Milwaukee.

Rick Potter
01-13-2019, 3:26 AM
Me too, I buy what I like, can afford, and suits my purpose. Some new, much is CL finds. My stuff ranges from Black and Decker to Agazzani.

Carl Beckett
01-13-2019, 6:02 AM
The only 'platform' I have is the Makita LXT so that batteries are interchangeable. Ironically, I have had problems with the batteries in the past but have a number of tools (which I like) so do not want to swap.

Lisa Starr
01-13-2019, 7:29 AM
Yes, I have many different brands in may shop also. Some of that comes from my willingness to run vintage equipment such as my Atlas bandsaw and Delta Rockwell Drill Press. On the other hand, I have a almost brand new Supermax sander. I like to purchase equipment that I think will best suit my needs and budget, rather than remaining brand loyal.

Mike Cutler
01-13-2019, 8:15 AM
I have more Jet machines than any other, but not by design. They seemed to always have sales on their machines, during the time I was "gearing up", and represented a good bargain at that time. I have a Jet DC-1100, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 15" planer, and 10" contractor saw.
I have a Delta shaper, drill press, and mortiser. An 18" Rikon bandsaw. A second table saw made by General. My drum sander is by Steel City.
I buy, or bought, what suits my needs and budget, and what I could physically move by myself. The drum sander and planer, at 500lbs. stretched that limit.:eek:

Jim Becker
01-13-2019, 9:48 AM
While many of us are "anal" and like things to match visually, the bottom line really is the function you need, what you can fund and what's available at that specific time. With the mass market, in particular, there's little differentiation between "brands", so the label and paint can be a secondary consideration when shopping. I do thing there is an advantage in adopting "one system" for hand-held electrics, especially when battery power is involved because that's generally more economical in the long run and the compatibility of the system together has an advantage over "buying whatever". But for stationary and bench-top tools...brand/color is just a personal preference thing after the root need is satisfied.

Rod Sheridan
01-13-2019, 9:49 AM
Hammer B3 Winner and A3-31

GI bandsaw

Powermatic bandsaw

Craftsman drill press

Oneida cyclone

GI Mortimer

Bin ford band mill

Regards, Rod

Simon MacGowen
01-13-2019, 10:07 AM
No Green Kool-aid?

I think Festool is the most successful example that gets people to equip their shops with only one color. More or less that is, even though not every line of its tools is the best.

I do have a neighbor whose family only stick to one brand of cars but know no real woodworkers who have not had more than one brand name in their shops.

Simon

Jim Becker
01-13-2019, 10:18 AM
While I didn't name-drop, that's pretty much what I was mentioning with my comments about the "hand held electrics" system in my post above, Simon. Very much a success story there, but I agree that there are some tools in the line that are merely adequate compared to those that are major-worthy. Not every one is going to be able to adopt that particular system, however, but the idea behind it is valid in that sticking with a particular brand for hand-helds brings some level of consistency, regardless of what color plastic they have for their form. For all the rest...it matters less.

I do think that there is sometimes a tendency for folks to at least initially end up with one particular brand for multiple tools, particularly when they are buying new and local. That was my situation early on...pretty much all Jet because that's what the local shop carried. The only exception was the contractor's style table saw which was Delta, albeit the same ivory color, because I wanted the UniFence and the price was right. I did later "standardize" somewhat when I move to Euro type equipment on one manufacturer but that's not unusual. It was't just a preference for the brand, but also the relationship I had developed with the folks who were selling it.

Mike Kees
01-13-2019, 11:03 AM
For me it is Milwaukee M18 fuel cordless and then the wild west. I have the "united nations collection " in my tool trailer,Dewalt ,Makita,Porter cable,Paslode,Hitachi etc.At my shop much the same ,Felder,Minimax,G.I., Steel city,Paoloni,Delta,Centauro etc. I buy almost exclusively used for my large machines.

Rod Sheridan
01-13-2019, 12:09 PM
I did later "standardize" somewhat when I move to Euro type equipment on one manufacturer but that's not unusual. It was't just a preference for the brand, but also the relationship I had developed with the folks who were selling it.

Good point Jim, the other advantage is that accessories such as table extensions, fences, work holders and such can be shared, saving money and space.......Rod

Martin Wasner
01-13-2019, 1:05 PM
I do have a neighbor whose family only stick to one brand of cars but know no real woodworkers who have not had more than one brand name in their shops.

Mostly you are correct, but do I know a guy who is in the process of turning all of his equipment to Felder pieces in his cabinet shop.

I don't get it.

He even has a Felder router on the way even though there it's NOBODY around who will work on it.

I buy whatever fits the bill the best. Sometimes it's money
Sometimes it's availability
Sometimes it's service.

I have Diehl, Felder, Weeke, Tannewitz, Northfield, Castle, Unique, Whirlwind, Cantek, SAC, SCM, Powermatic, Toyota, Delta, Jet, Oakley, JLT, Denray, Striebig, Leadermac, OMGA, Derda, Apex, and probably a couple I'm forgetting.

None of it was purchased because it matched anything else, with the exception of some of the powermatic stuff when I first started and was stupid, but most of that has been washed out.

Handheld corded tools, I've got just about everything.

Two of my guys use Makita cordless, I run Panasonic.

Orlando Gonzalez
01-13-2019, 2:27 PM
I have some diversity but mostly Grizzly in my small shop (12x18) because of costs factors:

Grizzly - Table saw (G0833P), Band saw (G0555LX), Dust collectors (Wall mounted & mobile)
Powermatic - Jointer (Model 50)
DeWalt - Planer (734)
Jet - Drill press (15in Bench top)

ChrisA Edwards
01-13-2019, 2:37 PM
Mine's a mix of what I thought was best for me ay yje time.

SawStop PCS175 although getting the 3HP upgrade on Tuesday.
Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer
Laguna 14/12 Bandsaw
Oneway 1224 Lathe
SuperMax 19-38
Delta Drill Press
ShopFox 1812 Moulder
Powermatic PM719 Mortiser
Jet 1100 Dust Collector
Woodpecter & Jessum Router Lifts in tables
Festool Track saw, Domino, Router, Sander and vacuum
Hitachi, Bosch & Porter Cable hand routers

Charlie Jones
01-13-2019, 4:14 PM
I forgot to add my Clear Vue cyclone. I bought it back when Ed Magano owned the company. He heated the plastic in an old range and wrapped it around a wooden form. He has a home made C and C router to cut out the parts. Then you had to source your own motor and fan. It still works great.

I started out in the early nineties planning to stay with Delta. We all know how that went.

Eric Anderson
01-13-2019, 4:50 PM
I am sorta partial to Powermatic for my biggest stationary tools, with:
Powermatic PM1500 bandsaw,
8" jointer, and
15" planer,
Sawstop PCS,
delta drill press,
Delta DC
Assorted Festool TS55, domino, and sanders
then cornucopia of small tools, Dewalt, Porta-cable, Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita

Bill Orbine
01-13-2019, 4:58 PM
Rockwell 3
Yates-American 2
Miles & Wysong 1
Oliver 2
SCMI 1
Powermatic 2
Grizzly 1
Delta (older) 2
Tops 1
SSC (Super Speed Cut) 1
Max 1
Ritter 1

These are all floor machines I can think of at this time. About half of these are old iron. There is no loyalty to any brand as these machines are aquired for function, cost and availability.

Andrew Seemann
01-13-2019, 9:57 PM
Unisaw
Delta drill press (2)
Delta bandsaw
Delta mortiser
Jet bandsaw
Jet jointer
Fisch lathe
Grizzly planer
Makita SCMS
Craftsman belt sander
Ryobi scroll saw
Oneida Cyclone

When I was starting to gather my own tools in the 90s, Delta was the best combination of price, value, and accessibility, however most stuff was used when I got it. Only the Delta bandsaw, mortiser, planer, and cyclone were new and that was only because there weren't any used options at the time.

Many colors of hand power tools: red, blue, gray, light blue, black, yellow, orange and more. Many flavors of hand tools.

No Powermatic anymore. I used to have a Powermatic portable planer, but it got replaced by the 15" Grizzly. When I finally upgrade to a 8" jointer, I might need to track down an old green 60.

I always liked those old Yates American table saws. I could have picked one up once, but it had a 440V motor, and I didn't have funds at the time for the saw and a new motor (this was before the days of cheap phase converters), or a fork lift to unload it.

Zachary Hoyt
01-13-2019, 10:13 PM
I don't own more than two stationary power tools from any manufacturer but I have a lot of DeWalt hand power tools. I bought all of the DeWalts secondhand and quite cheap except for a 4-1/2" angle grinder that I bought new. Most of my tools came from auctions or craigslist, and the two new stationary tools I have bought were a benchtop Rion bandsaw and a SuperMax drum sander because they each seemed to be the best value for what I was doing.
Zach

George Werner
01-14-2019, 3:09 AM
For machines I don't have a particular brand preference, just what works for my needs so I have an assortment. For cordless tools I'm all in on Dewalt and for handheld electrics like track saw, routers and sanders I'm all in on Festool. The only exception to that last one is the Bosch jig saw simply because I hated the Festool Carvex and sold it to go back to Bosch.

Grizzly cabinet saw
Grizzly 8" jointer
Hammer bandsaw
Delta bandsaw
Dewalt planer
Craftsman drill press
Supermax drum sander
Rigid spindle sander

andy bessette
01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Machines are:

Delta/Rockwell Unisaws, contractors saw, bandsaw, shaper, planer, drill presses, belt/disc sander, edge sander, scroll saw
Wilton belt/disc sander
Agazzani bandsaw
Vectrax vertical metal bandsaw and vertical/horizontal/mitering metal bandsaw
Craftsman radial arm saw
Sears tilting table saw
State 24" disc sander
Max oscillating spindle sander
Performax drum sander
Powermatic jointer
Canwood mortiser
Oneida dust collector
Logan lathe
Index milling machine
JD2 hydraulic tube bender
Miller mig and tig welders
Hypertherm plasma cutter
Carolina hydraulic press

Darcy Warner
01-14-2019, 12:44 PM
It would take me an hour to write it out.
Everything from vintage American iron, vintage Italian, German, swedish, English, Dutch, and modern German, American and English. About 150 or so total.

Tim M Tuttle
01-14-2019, 4:21 PM
SawStop
DeWalt planer
WEN drill press, bandsaw, two sanders and an air cleaner
Bosch miter saw
Steelex jointer
Oneida dust collector
DeWalt 20/60v cordless tools
Craftsman cordless tools
DeWalt, Bosch, and Ridgid corded hand held tools