PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE of pharm parties

john whittaker
12-03-2005, 4:06 PM
What a downer....Just found out that in the past several weeks, 3 teens back in my old hometown in WV died of drug overdoses. Seems like there is a new drug party going around. At least new to me. Kids go into their parents drug cabinets and take anything they can get their hands on and bring the pills to a party. There the assortment of pills are placed in a bowl and everyone is free to take whichever pills they want. They don't know what they are....just trying to get high and live dangerously I guess. They call this a "pharm party".

Just wanted everyone to be aware....especially if you have kids/grandkids in that age group.

Dan Larson
12-03-2005, 4:29 PM
John, thank you for making us aware of this. It completely boggles my mind to know that kids (or anyone for that matter) is doing this these days. I know that I'm preaching to the choir when I say this, but gads, the level of danger here is on par with playing Russian Roulette!!!:eek:

I hate to say it, but these pharm parties make the the beer bashes of my youth seem pretty safe and sensible...

Dan

Richard Wolf
12-04-2005, 6:03 PM
I guess I'm getting to be an old fa*t, but could anybody think of something more stupid to do.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2005, 6:18 PM
You know.......it makes you wonder what or if these kids are thinking when they do something like this?:confused:

Of course.....the farm parties I attended were usually in some farmers unused pasture. We drive in.........park our cars in a circle.......everybody tune their radio to the same rock station..roll the windows down on the cars ...and Bud the night away......Of course, drinking and driving wasn't too sane either!

We had a couple of things in common with the kids of today.......at that age we were invincible and Death wasn't even an option......:confused:

Mike Cutler
12-04-2005, 6:25 PM
Wow.. I'm sorry, but that is just patently stupid. Not that doing dope is really brilliant, but at least you would have an idea of what you were taking.
I guess I finally got old. Next thing you know there will be AARP literature in the mail.

Bart Leetch
12-04-2005, 7:19 PM
"Next thing you know there will be AARP literature in the mail."

Well Mike it looks like somewhere around 2/11/2009 that literature should be arriving in the mail.:D

Dev Emch
12-04-2005, 7:57 PM
Its unfortunate but what can you do? These guys taking "crank" are consuming cold medicine, drain cleaner and gasoline. Yummmm, what an entree! How does one reason with such a mind? As parents, there is only so much you can do before you have to just let the survival genes kick in. Either your kid has them or he doesn't. But how about all us old guys looking forward to AARP litrature. What happens when our kid raids our medicine cabinet? Asprin, tums and those magical blue pills. I can only imagine this outcome!:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 8:01 PM
... I guess I finally got old. Next thing you know there will be AARP literature in the mail.

Hey Mike. My AARP application showed up in the mailbox on my 50th b'day. The timing sucked.

Lee DeRaud
12-04-2005, 8:20 PM
Hey Mike. My AARP application showed up in the mailbox on my 50th b'day. The timing sucked.Could be worse: I started getting stuff from them when I was 27. Yup, right around my dad's 50th birthday...as I recall, he had some rather rude things to say about that particular organization.

Stuart Johnson
12-05-2005, 4:05 PM
Well like my wife says "not taking the AARP or senior discount won't make here one day younger".

By the way, another thing the kids are doing is called huffing. They spray regular canned air into a sack and then breath it. This has also caused deaths. We once went to the Wal-Mar manager about some kids messing with spray paint. He said he would look into it but there really wasn't anything he could do about the problem.

Christopher Pine
12-06-2005, 2:14 PM
I guess I'm getting to be an old fa*t, but could anybody think of something more stupid to do.

Richard

Don't know if it is stupider but in the same league for sure.. Several years ago a teen using halon from a fire extinguisher to try and get high.. breathing it in that is....he died.

HELLO!!! what does halon do to oxygen??/ it removes oxygen thats why it is great for fire fighting, lousy for breathing...

I know I state the obvious..

Ed Breen
12-06-2005, 5:05 PM
For what its worth, about 4 months ago I bought a pistol case ( 3 shelves and enough room for about a dozedn weapons. I heard about these parties, and promptly took all our medications and put them in the gun case. My poor sidearms got jammed in with the long arms. I have two grandchildren in my home, and we're taking no chances.!!!

Ed

Dan Larson
12-06-2005, 5:14 PM
I heard about these parties, and promptly took all our medications and put them in the gun case.
Ed, I recognize that locking your medications in the gun case was a practical solution to keeping them secure, but I'm struck by how metaphorically appropiate this is...