PDA

View Full Version : Unbiased Video Review of the Harbor Freight 4x36 Disc and Belt Sander

Ryan Shearer
01-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Hey Guys,

Wish I would have done a little more research before I purchased this unit. We all know HF has some good quality items and I own my fair share of them.

If you have been considering picking up a smaller belt sander, take a look. Maybe this video will help you decide if the machine is right for you.

Keep in mind before setting up my small woodshop I had a large metal shop with Burr King Sanders and Apex 3phase disc sanders so I am very familiar with Commercial Grade equipment. This video is intended for the small hobby guys. We all know the majority of HF items are not for professional or commercial use :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOBbV032U4&t=4s

Ryan Shearer
01-16-2019, 3:30 PM
Sorry for the BROKEN LINK ABOVE

This is working NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ8yeUxpVFE

John McClanahan
01-16-2019, 8:20 PM
I have looked at this while shopping at Harbor Freight. I agree with the review.

Bill Space
01-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Honestly, seeing the tittle "Horror Freight tools" was enough for me to figure "unbiased" was unlikely, so I did not bother to view the video...

I do also have "Crapsman" tools that work for me, and some Horror Freight tools as well (some winners and some losers :)). Have better stuff too...

Just thought I would mention my initial feeling upon reading the thread...no offense intended.

Bill

John Patric
01-17-2019, 4:12 PM
Umm, $75, you get what you pay for. I have a Jet A31 that was 25x more so go figure. Apologies for the arrogance but I just don't know how else to frame it.

Jack Frederick
01-17-2019, 6:23 PM
I bought one with my Xmas coupon. Lightly used in my hobby shop, but so far so good

Nick Shattuck
01-17-2019, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the review. I have the HF 12" disc sander and it's a beast, has tons of power, great dust collection and is super heavy. It has a pretty thin and lightweight surface table though. I guess it can't be completely perfect.

By the way, how is the dust collection on your Hitachi miter saw I see in the background? I've been trying to find a chop saw that does a decent job at dust collecting without shelling out for a Kapex and I've read where the Hitachi is pretty good. Is that your experience?

Ron Selzer
01-19-2019, 6:27 PM
Bought one and very happy with it
light weight makes it easy to store under workbench
enough power to do what I expect out of it
got a dust collection adaptor off of ebay that works great

Ryan Shearer
01-22-2019, 1:44 AM
Honestly, seeing the tittle "Horror Freight tools" was enough for me to figure "unbiased" was unlikely, so I did not bother to view the video...

I do also have "Crapsman" tools that work for me, and some Horror Freight tools as well (some winners and some losers :)). Have better stuff too...

Just thought I would mention my initial feeling upon reading the thread...no offense intended.

Bill

No problem Bill. Appreciate the feedback.

The video truly was an unbiased review. I pointed out it's weak areas and who the machine would be good for and gave my overall opinion!

I agree with you, some items are absolute winners and others have their limitations! Without reviews people wouldn't know what items are good!

Happy woodworking!

Ryan Shearer
01-22-2019, 1:46 AM
Bought one and very happy with it
light weight makes it easy to store under workbench
enough power to do what I expect out of it
got a dust collection adaptor off of ebay that works great

Like I mentioned in the video, as long as you work the machine within it's limits it has a place for someone in their shop. Glad it's working out for you. Especially for the price. Kudo's to you for finding an adapter as well! :)

Ryan Shearer
01-22-2019, 1:49 AM
Thanks for the review. I have the HF 12" disc sander and it's a beast, has tons of power, great dust collection and is super heavy. It has a pretty thin and lightweight surface table though. I guess it can't be completely perfect.

By the way, how is the dust collection on your Hitachi miter saw I see in the background? I've been trying to find a chop saw that does a decent job at dust collecting without shelling out for a Kapex and I've read where the Hitachi is pretty good. Is that your experience?

Hey Nick! The 12" Sander is def a beast and one of the best things you can get from HF

So funny story on the Hitachi, I had bought that saw about 5 years ago and intended to do some projects around the house. We ended up selling our place in CA and moving to Idaho. Now I have finally set it up, and sadly I have not hooked it up to my dust collection system :(

So I can't give you any honest feedback. One thing I can tell you is the location of the exhaust port seems to be in an odd location. As far as the saw goes, I love it! I am still using the cheap blade that came from the factory. I heard this saw is still better than the newer version they released! Once I get it hooked up, I'll try to remember to come back here and give some feedback!