PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Pulley

Byron Trantham
12-03-2005, 1:31 PM
I ran into a surprise this morning. I tried to raise the blade so I could change it and I felt and heard some rubbing! After using a flashlight I saw that the motor pulley was rubbing against the rod that raises and lowers the blade! Hum.:mad: I could see four holes for allen screws. I could get a 5/32" allen wrench on two of them but it just spun on the other two. Missing screws? I took the motor out and guess what? There are two with no threads or screws (of course). Weird. Why drill the holes? Anyway I re tightened them and then wondered if I should use loctite? I elected not to for now. When I put the belts back, I noticed that one of them seemed loose. Not real loose but it didn't have the same "shape" as the other two. In a three belt system, could one belt stretch more than the other two?:confused:

Doug Shepard
12-03-2005, 1:49 PM
My first thought was that the extra holes are there so that the pulley is balanced. But then I thought about the allen screws which would immediately add more mass to 2 of the holes, and make it unbalanced again?? My next thought was that the allens are maybe light enough in weight plus not completely filling the entire hole, so maybe the balance idea might still be valid?? This is just a guess on my part.

Byron Trantham
12-03-2005, 1:57 PM
My first thought was that the extra holes are there so that the pulley is balanced. But then I thought about the allen screws which would immediately add more mass to 2 of the holes, and make it unbalanced again?? My next thought was that the allens are maybe light enough in weight plus not completely filling the entire hole, so maybe the balance idea might still be valid?? This is just a guess on my part.

Doug, that was my thought also.:)