PDA

View Full Version : Plane ID Help

Don Orr
01-08-2019, 9:21 PM
I was cleaning up in my shop and came across this plane. No idea where I got it or how long I have had it. I could not find any names on it without cleaning it and I do not want to do that. It measures 13" long by 2 5/16" wide with a 1 7/8" cutter. Both the iron and cap are stamped with Sanderson Bros & Co Cast Steel Sheffield. The iron is tapered and laminated. I thought it was an interesting shape. It appears to be made from two halves glued together at midline with a harder wood inset in front of the mouth on the sole as you can see in the photos. Disregard the brace. It's just an old Stanley 923 10" swing. I think it came with the plane.

I would like to see if the substantial braintrust here can identify this and provide any value estimate.

Thanks very much.400736400737400738

Jim Koepke
01-09-2019, 2:16 AM
A reverse razee?

To me it seems the knob may have been added in its line of ownership.

This was at the top of the list when > Sanderson Bros & Co Cast Steel Sheffield < was fed into Google:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Sanderson_Brothers_and_Co

It appears the business was renamed Sanderson Brothers in 1829.

jtk

Dan Hulbert
01-09-2019, 9:02 AM
The piece in front of the mouth may have been added to tighten up the mouth after the sole wore away. I had to do that to one of my old woodies.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2019, 2:09 PM
The piece in front of the mouth may have been added to tighten up the mouth after the sole wore away. I had to do that to one of my old woodies.

+1 on this, a common occurrence found on old beloved woodies.

jtk

Don Orr
01-10-2019, 6:25 PM
Thanks Jim & Dan. I saw that website as well Jim. Not much real help. I doubt Sanderson made the plane, seems they were mostly into the steel. Syracuse, NY is about an hour west of where I grew up. I also thought the piece on the sole could be a retrofit. If it is it was done well. There is also an insert on the top of the plane behind the cutter that looks to be original. I looked again for any names today with no joy.

steven c newman
01-12-2019, 1:37 PM
Might be for use in a mitre jack/shooting board?