PDA

View Full Version : Building floating hickory shelves.

JERRY BRINKMAN
01-08-2019, 3:37 PM
Need to know if I should use grain filler or sanding sealer before applying finish.

Jamie Buxton
01-08-2019, 7:11 PM
I wouldn't apply either. Grain filler is an esthetic choice. I like to see wood the way Mom Nature made it -- wood pores and all. And if you're accepting the pores, sanding sealer doesn't do you much good.

Wayne Lomman
01-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Sanding sealer is used to speed production in a factory. It doesn't add anything to the quality of the finish. I agree with Jamie to let the texture of the hickory speak for itself. You get the best appearance by applying 2 or 3 coats of your product of choice, let it cure, block it flat enough to sharpen the appearance of the grain pores and the apply a final coat. Use 320 when blocking it flat.

Grain filler makes the timber look a bit blurred and lacking in definition. Use it if that is the look you want but as Jamie said, its a style choice. Cheers

Lee Schierer
01-09-2019, 8:06 AM
Hickory finishes nicely without any fillers or sealers. It doesn't take stain well. it is hard to get a really dark color. Here are some hickory items that I recently made, including some floating shelves.

Stan Calow
01-09-2019, 8:52 AM
What made you consider grain filler?

JERRY BRINKMAN
01-09-2019, 3:27 PM
What made you consider grain filler?

Thanks for the info.

Stan Calow
01-09-2019, 4:04 PM
Hey Jerry, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I just wondered how it came up as an option for you. Grain fillers have been mentioned in a couple of recent threads, and it made me wonder why, or whether perhaps people were actually thinking of gel stain.

David Kreuzberg
01-09-2019, 10:56 PM
What Lee said. I did my entire kitchen in natural hickory, finished with two coats of Fabulon oil-base floor finish, which gives a warm amber look. No sanding sealer needed.