PDA

View Full Version : New 'Hauler...

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I mentioned awhile back that we had ordered a Highlander Hybrid Limited SUV for a "family" vehicle. Well, it came in while we were traveling and we picked it up on Tuesday. The girls love it and so do mama and papa. This thing drives like a dream...quiet, nimble and more powerful than the "regular" version with the extra horsepower that the two electric motors deliver. (I wouldn't be unhappy with the regular version, either, however) So...time to sell my beloved low mileage 2000 Tundra Limted AccessCab 4x4. (tears...) I'd keep it, but I'd rather not have the extra debt, if you know what I mean. A small trailer is more practical for the "real" hauling needs. (Anybody local who is interested, please let me know)

Pics

Approval of Princessa Anastasiya
The royal consort agrees...machina harasho (good car)
Exterior view from the back
Exterior view from the front

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 10:20 AM
More pictures

Front interior
Back interior
Rear view...3rd row seat stowed

John Miliunas
12-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Congrats, Jim!:) Pretty slick vehicle, me thinks! So, what kind of MPG is that rig prepared to deliver??? Does it power down the road at all with electric motor only or is it "shared" all the time between electric/internal combustion?:confused: Anyhow, Tojo makes a heckuva' nice machine and I'm sure you guys will be happy with it!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
12-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Jim,
I like the hybrid idea....a friend of mine has a Preus and really loves it! So good luck and you can always use my Tundra ...just give me a call:confused:

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Mark, we've loved our Prius so much that it was natural to go hybrid for this one, too...we are now a two-hybrid family. We didn't do it primarily for the fuel savings as the payout on this machine isn't "soon", even with the higher fuel cost, PA rebate and federal tax deduction. It's more of a principles thing for clean running and better technology.

John, at 185 miles on the odometer, we're at 25 mpg. That should inch up once it breaks in. Rating is 27 highway, 32 city. The electric motors will power it exclusively up to about 37 mph in ideal conditions; otherwise they add power boost. It also has a continuously variable transmision (as does our Prius) which optimizes power to the wheels.

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Congrats Jiim..!!! Very nice vehicle and most importantly, what do the girls think about the Kabota? Given them a ride in the bucket yet?;)

Congrats to the Becker's on the new vehicle.:)

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 11:51 AM
...and most importantly, what do the girls think about the Kabota? Given them a ride in the bucket yet?

They have a decided preference for Kubotas given their reaction everytime we drive by one of the three dealers in this area. No bucket rides...too dangerious...but we did rides in the trailer during their July visit.

John Bailey
12-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Very cool Jim. You're my kinda' guy - buying on principle. What kind of mileage did you get with the Prius? I've heard they can vary a lot depending on how you drive.

John

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 12:49 PM
What kind of mileage did you get with the Prius? I've heard they can vary a lot depending on how you drive.

Our Prius is a 2002 and we get between 42 and 50 MPG, depending on who is driving, the season (A/C doesn't help) and the phase of the moon. I tend to get better mileage driving than Dr. SWMBO. The current versions get more mileage and are bigger inside, although ours is much bigger than it looks.

Dan Forman
12-03-2005, 4:11 PM
Nice rig and cargo too. Hope they start making hybrids available in pickups too.

Dan

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 5:13 PM
NHope they start making hybrids available in pickups too.

Toyota does have plans for an all- or nearly-all-hybrid lineup. Camry is next in line.

Gary Herrmann
12-03-2005, 9:46 PM
Nice, Jim. My wife wants one of those next. I'm gonna see if I can hang onto my Tundra dcab for another 10-11 years and give it to my son (who gets upset whenever we take Mom's car). Then I'll buy the 50 mpg, 1 ton, turbo diesel, convertible Tundra dcab, or something like that...