PDA

View Full Version : motorizing a meat grinder

mark kosse
01-08-2019, 11:24 AM
I want to motorize my #22 meat grinder and need to make a speed reducer. I have the choice between American made bronze bearing pillow blocks or chinese ball bearing blocks. What would you chose? I'll post my thoughts later. thanks

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2019, 8:36 PM
Unless you are operating a meat market, the bronze ones will most likely outlast you. My antique Hamilton Beach meat grinder has sleeve bearings in it. Have you looked on the bay for a right angle gear motor? Another option is a right angle Milwaulkee drill. The half inch ones go for around $50 in pawn shops here. With the drill, you could use a cheap router speed control to set the speed, as most of the right angle ones aren't VS.

mark kosse
01-09-2019, 2:41 PM
Bruce, Thanks! I'm normally a darn creative person but this thought never crossed my mind. There were a multitude of hesitations with motorizing this grinder. This solves them all, and adds reverse. I have an old Thor 1/2" drill that will be perfect for this to start. I think it is 250 rpm and it's brushed so the motor controller will work.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2019, 4:08 PM
My wife wanted an easier way to grind coffee:

jtk