PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sears and K-mart liquidating

Bill Dufour
01-08-2019, 9:33 AM
Off Topic; I grew up with Craftsman tools lifetime guarantee and I have a few screwdrivers I needed to return before they are gone. My local Sears was being shut down they told me they no longer do exchanges.
I heard this morning that Sears and K-mart are closing down all stores.
Lowes carries some Craftsman tools any idea if they will honor the guarantees?
I think Sears sold the parts supply part of the operation years ago so.
Bill D.

Gary Ragatz
01-08-2019, 10:12 AM
I don't think it's a done deal yet, but they're supposed to be in court today and will ask the judge to allow them to shut everything down and auction off the assets. Sad.

If you have an Ace Hardware store nearby, you might try to do your warranty exchange there. I read on another forum that they would do the exchanges if they carry an equivalent Craftsman product - screwdrivers seem like something they would probably carry.

Jim Becker
01-08-2019, 5:07 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/business/sears-future-bankruptcy-delay/index.html

Brian Hall
01-08-2019, 5:34 PM
local ace hardware has done a few exchanges for me , mostly have had to order in only takes a few days :)

1/4" drive ratchet and a couple 3/8 drive sockets was last fall

Mel Fulks
01-08-2019, 5:51 PM
The first Sears here was an edge of down town several story building with escalators. Had a panache to it,stayed open to
9:00 pm on Fridays. Had a big buy by the pound candy section with pretty girl scoopers. One thing that hurt Sears was
their commision sales set up. I don't know when that started, but at some point you couldn't get any help finding cheap
stuff but take a look at a riding lawn mower and they were all over you.

Gary Ragatz
01-08-2019, 8:16 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/business/sears-future-bankruptcy-delay/index.html

Good news! My local Sears store has survived up to this point - hopefully, they'll be around for a while.

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2019, 8:28 PM
Exchanged a couple of Craftsman screw drivers in last month at local Ace Hardware. Both were in stock, and made in the USA

Ed Aumiller
01-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Just exchanged a broken (Craftsman) ratchet at lowes with no problem..

Dave Lehnert
01-08-2019, 11:31 PM
You do know Sears no longer own the Craftsman tool brand, It is now a brand of Stanley tools.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-09-2019, 6:28 AM
KMart is our only big-name store on island. My fear is even without the shutdown, they will lose buying power and prices will go up, and also supplies will be more limited. We are praying for Target or Wal-Mart to come here. Our KMart is the largest grossing in the whole chain- even before the closings. Hopefully another retailer will see that and move in. There is no hope the whole chain will be bought, as there is nothing to gain in buying a failing chain. I’m just hoping they buy the individual store, which is newly remodeled after the storms. Wal-Mart/Target: are you listening? We want you!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
During my 8 years in the US Navy, I worked part time in a warehouse for Sears in one city where I was stationed. We shopped for everything from tires (Road Handlers) to clothing to furniture. Why? I could always find a Sears in most places where I was stationed should warrantee issues arise. Later after getting out, I worked in a profession where a suit was daily attire. I traveled a lot with that job and continued to shop at Sears because I could buy replacement or additional suit parts (vests, pants) if necessary while out of town. IMO, Sears problems began in the early 80's when their new management began departing from the retail market and expanding into areas like realty. It's a shame. I dearly appreciated Sears. I think Penny's could be following the same route.

Maybe I'm just getting old and skeptical over everything.

Mel Fulks
01-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Hey Ken! You forgot to mention that Sears had those "Wash n' Wear" suits ; Brooks Brothers did not! Did you wash yours
in the machine ....or just walk through the car wash ? Think I did both. My parents bought me one and made me wear it.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-09-2019, 12:31 PM
I dearly appreciated Sears. I think Penny's could be following the same route.

Maybe I'm just getting old and skeptical over everything.

Wait- seriously- Penney’s is still around? Gee, I’m getting old too. I thought they failed long ago.

Edwin Santos
01-09-2019, 12:45 PM
KMart is our only big-name store on island. My fear is even without the shutdown, they will lose buying power and prices will go up, and also supplies will be more limited. We are praying for Target or Wal-Mart to come here. Our KMart is the largest grossing in the whole chain- even before the closings. Hopefully another retailer will see that and move in. There is no hope the whole chain will be bought, as there is nothing to gain in buying a failing chain. I’m just hoping they buy the individual store, which is newly remodeled after the storms. Wal-Mart/Target: are you listening? We want you!

Malcolm,
If you and your fellow islanders really feel strongly about this, with a little bit of googling you will find contact info for the real estate department of both store chains. Maybe even the Linkedin profiles of key senior people there. The RE people are a key part of new store development and market development. At the very least they work directly with the operational people who select and target new locations.

Grass roots can be very influential, and if a few or a few dozen emails come in from a market, it might be enough to at least get on their radar. They may have no idea about the KMart stat you shared.

Edwin

PS, another thought - your island government undoubtedly has an economic development person or department. Those people work for you thanks in large part to your tax dollars. Sic them on the cause too.

Flamone LaChaud
01-09-2019, 2:48 PM
I can say with full knowledge that Lowe's will honor all Craftsman's warranties, no matter the age.