PDA

View Full Version : Recent Turing - Auctioneer's Gavel

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Not long ago, I mentioned that I was "commissioned" by my cabinet-maker neighbor to produce a unique auctioneer's gavel. While he is a sculptural artist when not doing outstanding cabinetry, Ed doesn't turn nor own a lathe. He provided detailed drawings for the design for me to work with and the end result is quite pleasing. This project is made from maple and O-rings and is finished with about 8 applications of Waterlox. I didn't have time to buff it before departing for Russia, but it looked just fine without that step.

Spindle work isn't my normal thing, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. each of the O-rings is inset in a groove. The end of the handle is removable (1 screw) so that O-rings on the handle can be replaced if necessary.

So, now that the gift is given, here's a picture of the gavel which is now in the hands of it's new owner, Susan from Rago Arts and Auction Center (http://www.ragoarts.com/index.php) in Lamberville NJ. (A good part of their business is furniture, including a lot of Nakashima and craftsman/Stickley)

Bill Stevener
12-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Very unique gavel, and a splendid turning as well. Never saw one quite like it. I wouldn't think the auctioneer would ever lose it to the crowd.
Nicely done,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kent Parker
12-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Really nice. I'm impressed that you could turn the grooves with such accuracy that the O rings fit so well. Nice job. Looks like it would provide a good grip for the auctioneer.

O rings go on after the finishing?

Cheers,

Kent

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm impressed that you could turn the grooves with such accuracy that the O rings fit so well.

I used the "custom" gouge from my class with David Ellsworth to do the grooves. It's basically a 1/4" fingernail spindle gouge that has the bottom up to the nose rounded over. Ostensibly, it is for making clean parting cuts and underbevels when removing a bowl/vessel from a waste block, etc., but I use it a lot for a whole bunch of little things. The nose is just right to use like a scraper for making the grooves in this project.

O rings go on after the finishing?

Yup. That's also where the removable handle end was "handy". The only O-rings that are somewhat captive are the two right below the head on either side of the "bulb" on the handle. They will not really stretch enough to move down the handle which is 1 1/8" diameter at the thickest places. No matter, they also shouldn't experience any wear or oils from "the hand".

Joe Tonich
12-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Now THAT'S neat Jim!

The O-ring thing is cool & functional. It also provides a little contrast to the wood. :D ( I like contrast)

John Nicholas
12-03-2005, 3:20 PM
I like your gavel. The wood and the 'O' rings work well.

:)

John Miliunas
12-03-2005, 4:09 PM
Nice job, Jim. Very well balanced look to it. Bet it feels nice, as well! As the others have noted, the o-ring idea is pretty cool! Well done.:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
12-03-2005, 4:23 PM
Well this looks outstanding to me! I like it all. Very nice work, Jim!

Joe Horne
12-03-2005, 4:33 PM
A very nice and innovative design Jim. Beautiful execution and finish too. What a great project! ;)

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 5:14 PM
'Just to clarify...the design is Ed's (including the O-rings) and I turned to spec from his drawings.

Thanks for the kind words!

Chris Barton
12-03-2005, 7:24 PM
If Krenov turned, that's what it would look like:)

Jim Ketron
12-03-2005, 9:49 PM
Nice Job Jim!

John Hart
12-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Beautiful work Jim!! Went to a Turners Club Auction today and they didn't have ANYTHING that nice!!! Just beautiful! :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-04-2005, 6:37 AM
That is a nice design with the O rings and you did a great job on it. I bet it feels good in the hand too.

Ernie