PDA

View Full Version : Overlay engraving plastic to mark white

Darren Berrouard
01-07-2019, 4:06 PM
I have been lasering acrylics and having great luck wih my CO2 laser but I was trying to do some custom press on knobs for screws and lasering that plastic will leave little to no marks and I was wondering if nybody knows of an overlay or spray or technique to get a white ish mark lasered into the plastic somehow.

Any help would be appreciated - I have tried pre painting and that hasn't produced the best results

Thanks in advance

Darren

Bert Kemp
01-08-2019, 1:08 AM
I dont thoroughly understand the ?. are you making a press on cover for screws out of acrylic? if your using cast acrylic it will laser white. Maybe I'm not getting what your trying to do.

Mike Null
01-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm with Bert. Can you show us what you're trying to do?

Kev Williams
01-08-2019, 3:08 PM
Seems the problem may be the plastic itself, there's many that won't 'frost up' like cast.

Only options I see are, IF the plastic will vaporize more than melt, then engrave deep enough and paint the engaving-

If it won't laser deep enough, tool engraving and painting is all I got--

or find a different plastic...?

Darren Berrouard
01-08-2019, 8:23 PM
Ok sorry for the confusion I am buying plastic thumb caps that press onto screws and want to engrave them for like custom turn instructions. So far all attempts to engrave it have not worked it does not change the surface white like acrylic does, I do not know what the plastic is. I have tried different powers / speeds - pre-painting etc and the results have not come out satisfactory

Kev - thats what i was asking the plastic the knobs are made of doesn't frost up with any sort of contrast.

I was wondering if there was a spray or overlay I could use to make it turn white or other color when engraved - kinda like cermark.

Thanks for the replies and help

Bert Kemp
01-09-2019, 12:49 AM
Try masking then engrave then paint what ever color you choose

Bert Kemp
01-20-2019, 12:13 PM
So has the OP solved his problem. Did he get any useful info here?