PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever run across or heard of Karrenter tools?

Marty Gulseth
01-07-2019, 2:10 PM
Hey Neander folk, I expect you here are most likely to possess the wisdom I need! Going through a bunch of old hand tools "inherited" from my late FIL, I ran across a chisel labeled "KARRENTER" and "Winsted, Conn". I expect it is a "generic" brand, he most likely picked it up at a midwest farm sale. But before turning it into a user - I tried searching the 'net but found nothing of the brand. So - anyone here know of any reason I should cherish this one instead of just cleaning up and using? Thanks for any insights you may offer!

Mel Fulks
01-07-2019, 2:29 PM
I bet it's good. I would use the KARPENTER chisel !

Jim Koepke
01-07-2019, 3:09 PM
Yes, as Mel posted it is a good chisel to use Winsted Tools sold it as an off brand to the Witherby chisels.

jtk

Mel Fulks
01-07-2019, 4:50 PM
And that Winsted Witherby thing is a tangled tale with all kinds of theories about who made what and who bought what.

Jim Koepke
01-07-2019, 8:40 PM
And that Winsted Witherby thing is a tangled tale with all kinds of theories about who made what and who bought what.

Sadly folks back in those days didn't realize there would be so many arm chair historians with such a great interest in their doings. Any of the records that were created were likely lost to the following generation using them to start fires on a cold winter days.

jtk

Marty Gulseth
01-07-2019, 9:25 PM
I bet it's good. I would use the KARPENTER chisel !

And - Mel, you are quite correct! The stamping was not very deep, and with the layer of surface rust, I mistook the "P" as a second "R" - I stand corrected! Thanks!

Marty Gulseth
01-07-2019, 9:27 PM
Thanks to all! It's now destined for some cleanup of surface rust, a turn on the Tormek and stones, and into inventory! I appreciate all of the help and insights.

Mel Fulks
01-08-2019, 12:15 AM
And - Mel, you are quite correct! The stamping was not very deep, and with the layer of surface rust, I mistook the "P" as a second "R" - I stand corrected! Thanks!
Just a lucky guess!