PDA

View Full Version : Lathe

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I guess as Andy Hoyt said in one of the post of Bob Noles, " now who's next." Well I have been reading and watching the post of Bob's since it started and I have some questions on lathe's.

#1) should a guy get a lathe with 3/4" X 16 with MT #1 or

#2) is one with 1" X 8 with MT#2 better.

#3) what about speed? Most of the minis start at 500 to 750 up to 3200.

I have been looking at the Turncrafter Pro Midi, Shop Fox mini, Delta Midi. There is also a lathe on that auction place that is a 1/2 hp with 1" X 8 with MT #2. It is a 10" X 18" and 750 to 3200. I am like Bob and never have turned in my life. My brother does but moved to New Mexico. He used to turn things for me that I designed. I would like to turn spindles for grandfather clocks I build. Most are about 14" long. Thus the Shop Fox might be a little small at 12" between centers. I imagine it is like my brother said and most of you have said once it starts you are done. My brothers wife says it is almost incurable addiction with him.

Any help would be appreciated. Have a good weekend.

John Nicholas
12-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Bernie,

Our Turning Club has 3 Delta Midi lathes and 2 Jet variable speed lathes.

I have turned on both the the Jet and two of the Deltas.

Go with the Jet. Much better lathes. The Deltas are 4 years old and get used at club functions. The Jets are 1 year old.

There is a major difference in quality to my mind. I watch experienced turners fiddle with the Deltas and turn with the Jets. We don't set the Delta's up unless there is a need for more than 2 lathes at once.

They both have the 1 inch 8 tpi spindle with a number 2 MT on both the head stock and tail stock. Pretty common in the turning world.

The variable speed is worth the extra investment.

:)

Cecil Arnold
12-03-2005, 1:18 AM
I have leaned toward Jet and not been disappointed. IMHO I think you will find more goodies readily available (face plates, drive spurs, centers, etc.) to fit the 1X8tpi and 2 MT.

Bob Noles
12-03-2005, 5:30 AM
Hey Bernie.......

Misery loves company and I'm glad to see someone else get sucked into the "Black Hole" with me :D

After doing my homework all over the web, I think the Turncrafter Pro fits the bill for my needs at this time. From everything I learned, it is a lot of bang for the buck and a great little machine. I have been told from those in the know, that if it fits the Jet it will fit the Turncrafter and the speeds are all within the required range for turning. About the only difference between it and the Jet is the paint job :p

Man... this lathe thing is contageous and addictive. No wonder they keep it down here in the basement ;) :eek:

John Hart
12-03-2005, 8:29 AM
In my brief experiences, I've found the MT2 preferable in most circles and as Cecil said....more goodies available.
Personally, being able to turn a knob to change speeds is much more convenient than changing belts.
And lastly.....weight. Mass of the machine plays such an important part....maybe not so much with spindles...but then, with this addiction, it's hard to predict where you'll take it. Best of luck Bernie!!!!

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 9:19 AM
#2 MT for sure and the 1" x 8 tpi is a lot easier to find accessories for without resorting to inserts. A "lower lower" speed is always best if you plan on turning bowls and vessels..."real" variable speed helps with that in many cases, but check the specs of the tool you are considering. But even a 300 RPM bottom speed is usable for small (4-5" max) turnings if you are carfull and fully support the pre-rounded (bandsawn) blank with the tailstock (and wear a full face shield). Where low speed becomes critical is with off-balance and rough blanks...desireable for certain turnings, but not necessarily what you need to be doing as a beginner.