PDA

View Full Version : Have You Seen this Router Table?

Keith Outten
07-02-2003, 11:17 PM
I've had this router table for years, it is one of the most unique routing devices I have ever seen and an absolute joy to use. I recently did a search on the Net in an effort to find the company (Lundblom) that made the "Routy Boy" model router table. It has a P.O. Box address in Virginia Beach on the label but it seems that they have gone out of business.

I've attached a picture and you can tell that the Routy Boy is made from steel, very sturdy and has some great features like the teflon bar hold down that is spring loaded.

I am in the process of writing an Article on this tool and would like to find out more about it's origin. Mine was given to me by a friend and although it will mount on a wall I have mounted mine on the end of my drum sander.

This is such a great tool I can't imagine that they are no longer available.
Has anyone seen this fixture or have any information concerning it's origin?

David Blangger
07-03-2003, 1:56 AM
Keith,

I even looked for it in various modes and didn't find it.

Repatent it and kick back and enjoy :D

David

Jim Becker
07-03-2003, 7:43 AM
I am in the process of writing an Article on this tool and would like to find out more about it's origin. Mine was given to me by a friend and although it will mount on a wall I have mounted mine on the end of my drum sander.

This is a very unique design that could be very useful to folks, especially for an additional "dedicated cutter" router station or two for anyone who makes a lot of certain items. It should be something that's easy to fabricate for anyone who has experience working in/welding metal, but even folks who can only use a drill press and hack saw should be able to duplicate the idea using pre-cut sheet steel and angle iron. Making something like this purely for personal use shouldn't be a problem, either. Selling them may be a whole different matter...but maybe that laser system could cut steel?? :D

Of course, this could also be made of wood and angle iron quite easily...it will just be thicker.

Byron Trantham
07-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Can someone tell me where I might find aluminum plate, say 1/4 to 3/8" thick? I've even gone on the Web but the only thing I can find is big industrial places that want to sell a ton of the stuff. My needs are relatively small about 3 sq feet.

Have a good and safe 4th.....

Rajiv Dighe
07-03-2003, 10:45 AM
try http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
They have stores in both USA as well as canada & sell small quantities to hobby metal workers as well. couple of people I know who make their own chisels etc buy small quantities from them.

--Rajiv

Keith Outten
07-03-2003, 10:59 AM
No doubt this could be duplicated, it would take a milling machine as the bottom of the fence is perfectly flat and parrallel to the base plate. It is also drilled and tapped for the cap screws on the bottom. Possibly what you don't see is that the fence can be setup so that you stand your wood on edge (vertical mode) and the brown hold down bar can be moved to push horizontally toward the stock and fence. Thsi is really usefull if you are working long pieces of molding, running it through on its edge. It's also very nice for panel raising in the stock vertical mode.

The spring loaded fence idea could easilly be adapted to any router table and really is what makes this fixture so nice. I expect that with a little thought it could be made from wood but the dimentions of the fixture would be much larger to allow for extra support.

I will dismantle the fence and take pictures of the fence spring assembly for the article I'm writing.

Peter Gregory
07-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Can someone tell me where I might find aluminum plate, say 1/4 to 3/8" thick? I've even gone on the Web but the only thing I can find is big industrial places that want to sell a ton of the stuff. My needs are relatively small about 3 sq feet.

You might try Lee Valley and their Veritas router table top. I know people who really love it.

Good luck.

Marvin Keys
07-03-2003, 4:06 PM
I tried to locate the company through the resources I have and I could not locate it in the State of Virginia corporate records, limited partnership records, nor the limited liability company records. It must have gone out of business a number of years ago or was simply a sole proprietorship that didn't have to register with the state. Sorry I couldn't help...
Marvin Keys

I've had this router table for years, it is one of the most unique routing devices I have ever seen and an absolute joy to use. I recently did a search on the Net in an effort to find the company (Lundblom) that made the "Routy Boy" model router table. It has a P.O. Box address in Virginia Beach on the label but it seems that they have gone out of business.

I've attached a picture and you can tell that the Routy Boy is made from steel, very sturdy and has some great features like the teflon bar hold down that is spring loaded.

This is such a great tool I can't imagine that they are no longer available.
Has anyone seen this fixture or have any information concerning it's origin?

Bob Oswin
07-04-2003, 7:41 PM
Keith,

I even looked for it in various modes and didn't find it.

Repatent it and kick back and enjoy :D

David

Yep, Dang good idea!
I think you should call it the Outten Routen!
Put me down for one! ;)

Bob